Toyota Nation Forum banner

Highlander with bull bar....

16K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  matt_kluger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, has anybody installed a bull bar on their highlander? Do we need to get the insurance company's consent before doing so?

#2 ·
Looks like you are in Canada so I can't answer the question on insurance.
I will say we call them damage multiplies, because when you get into an accident they typically cause more damage on your own vehicle then not having one at all.

#3 ·
Looks like you are in Canada so I can't answer the question on insurance.
I will say we call them damage multiplies, because when you get into an accident they typically cause more damage on your own vehicle then not having one at all.

#5 ·
The bull bar is a solid rigid metal...when you get in an accident it doesn't give...this transferring all that kinetic energy to the uni-body subframe causing it to twist and buckle. Without it during an accident then the body panels do what they are suppose to do and absorb the shock and crumple. They work real well in protecting the vehicle at low speeds...but at higher speeds is when they actual do more damage then without.

#6 ·
I thought it was more that generally the brackets connecting them weak causing the bar to push into your car causing more damage, instead of your bumper taking the hit. Here's a classic pic of it, granted it's a full brush/grille guard, but the concept is the same.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
actually I was thinking of putting a pair of spot light on the bull bar. I do not want to put them on the roof rack rail because my previous experience told me mounting the lights on the roof when switched on, light will defract and flood the surrounding, thus making visibility worse, especially in foggy days.

#18 ·
If he does add the steel guard ..... in twenty years when they have the SUV demo derby the new owner is all set to participate. Although they may have him remove it as an unfair advantage. Back to the drawing board........
Here's a suggestion, save the money for a night out on the town. Your thinking may turn out to being " lucky " !

#20 ·
My cousin installed a bull bar on his Tacoma and it ended up doing more damage when he got into a light fender bender. The bull bar bent back, went through the radiator and damage the subframe. It was nice to have if you park in tight spaces so cars do damage our car, but for driving accidents they do more damage than protect in my opinion

#32 ·
I don't have a non-OEM bull bar, but I did get the nudge bar as a factory fitted accessory. I'm not sure if you can get them in Canada/US, but here is the link to what it looks like: http://www3.toyota.com.au/kluger/accessories

The nudge bar has holes for driving lights. My second gen had a nudge bar too, so when I traded it in for the new one, they just offered all the same accessories free of charge.

I will take some photos for you so you can see what it looks like on the broader car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.