Toyota Nation Forum banner

I was wrong - and I admit it. Limited 'Faux' Chrome Wheels DO suck.

5K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  scargk 
#1 ·
Well, I defended the faux chrome wheel covers on the HL Limited.... and I still think they do have their pluses - as long as you don't let *anything* touch them.

Their main downfall is that they aren't separate from the wheel itself.... if that was the case, they would obviously be cheaper to replace if you run up against a curb, or if the aggressive profile took a rock hit.

So.... When I rotate tires, I always inspect my wheels before handing the vehicle over to the tire store - so that I can make sure there was no damage beforehand in case I noticed something after they tossed them around.

I bought my first set of replacement tires a about three weeks ago .... I inspected my wheels as I always do before giving it to the tire guy... and then inspected them after the tires/wheels were balanced and installed.

Discovered a small 'gouge' out of the fake plastic chrome on one wheel, and two *very small* dings in two other wheels close to the lugnut area of the wheel. I believe the 'spin-lock' nut they use to attach the wheel to the spindle of the balance machine contacted the wheel... or knocked into it when they were about to spin the retaining lug on their balance machine. In any event.... I discovered the small dings.... and pitched a fit because I expressely told them to have the tire tech be very careful when changing/balancing my tires/wheels.... I told them those rims cost $700 apiece! They noted that on the work order.

Now... admittedly, the dings were small and you had to get your nose on the wheels to see them. But I told the guy that if that happened every time I had my wheels rotated, it would eventually add up to a nasty looking wheel. He offered to replace two of the wheels.... said the small tear in the 3rd was too far away from the lug area - and must have been a stone hit. I agreed... so they are supposedly getting me a couple of replacements. Haven't heard a word back in over two weeks though. Gotta call them. They didn't make a dime on that tire purchase.

So... long and short of it is: These faux chromee wheels are very fragile and it doesn't help that their profile has the wheels protruding away from the tires. My bad...... I would NOW prefer to have had the choice of an Aluminum wheel.

See less See more
#2 ·
knowing this i have contacted Toyota and Chrometect co, for information on changing the tires and or rotating. (if there was special equipment needed or ? both replied no,special equip or special tactic. that only leaves me bewildered. maybe try to contact other owners as they are used by many car manufacturers?

#5 ·
Hey Toddsta,

The tire company likely would rather give you any choice of wheels from their stock or places they can order from. This might be a great time to swap out.
Since this would help them, they would likely do all 4. Just get a reputable brand that has good specs.

#6 ·
Here's what I would do--if they really are willing to buy 2 rims at $700 a piece from Toyota, I would negotiate a cash settlement and then either live with it, or buy some rims on Ebay. OEM Lexus RX F sport rims can be had under $1k that would fit perfectly.

#7 ·
I would just not "put my nose on the wheels" and get over it. I'm just not obsessively compulsive about my vehicles. At my age there are so many more things that are important! Like where did I leave my glasses?

Reactions: Phil Indeblanc
#8 ·
Doesn't sound like a great solution being that easily to mar. Plastic belongs on cheap hubcaps that one finds along the highway. In this case your paying more for less. Get a set ( trade some other non knowing owner ) from an XLE and enjoy life. They look good, wear extremely well, and if you get a nick it is very hard to see.
My Highlander is a driver. I limit my worries to a future joy rider running off with my original 60 fuel injected Corvette.

#9 · (Edited)
The limited wheels do suck though it looks nice. I've got nicks and such on the wheels already. Aftermarket have endless options but you also pay a fortune for good quality wheels that meet standards. At the minimum, I've only used aftermarket wheels that are low pressure cast for strength or JWL standard. Too poor for high pressure cast or forged wheels.

I recently just bought a set of Venza XLE wheels in 19x7.5 for replacement. At $200, it was a steal though I had preferred the 20" limited wheels but hey I can't complain. The Venza wheels have same bore, offset and is same size as our 3rd Gen Highlanders. And to boot, the Venza XLE wheels are very similar to Highlander XLE wheels but come in 19" instead of 18."

#12 ·
I didn't even notice this until the first time I washed it. I couldn't believe a vehicle this nice basically has hub caps. Even the dealer didn't belive me when I showed him after the fact. Oh well. I guess I'll try not to think about it when I clean my plastic rims Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.