Toyota Nation Forum banner

Shift Knob Loose

16K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Frankenscript 
#1 ·
Guys do you notice if your Highander shift knob is loose? I noticed that I can move mine to 10-2 o'clock position. Any way to tighten this?

#2 ·
Never gave it second thought, but same on mine. No idea if done on purpose or if it can actually be tightened.:confused:

#5 ·
That would be a good idea however, you might have the need to have it removed in the future if you wanted to do work on something involving the center console. Try considering wrapping the shifting arm screw with a thread seal tape (teflon tape) as well.

#8 ·
Good Q & IDK? Surprised no one else has said...their shift knob turns. On mine if u hold shaft/rod? inside boot..part knob attached to...u can feel it turn when u turn knob. Just thinking... if rod can actually be tightened, seems like the shift knob would be out of alignment cause it turns with rod, meaning u would have to turn knob back to left, then it would be loose, hmmm? Anyhow, don't feel like being beta tester just yet. :wink:

#10 ·
Got ya, tnx. As mentioned...knob does screw onto threaded rod. I pulled boot down...held rod with vise grips & tightened/centered knob. Didn't have any lok tite or ?, but knob seems fairly tight. So....

No biggie, just thinking knob wasn't completely tightened during assembly or maybe left loose to turn alittle for someother reason?
BMan22...I just thought knob was suppose to turn, but always seemed abit odd. Anyhow, easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.