Toyota Nation Forum banner

JBL(Toyota JBL System) dash speakers upgrade on Highlander Limited 2016

116K views 247 replies 40 participants last post by  Phil Indeblanc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I’m not an audiophile, but didn’t want to tolerate JBL audio on my 2016 Highlander Limited that sounded really cheap and flat. Inspired by CGM66061 thread with DIY (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-3rd-generation-2014/1151633-horrible-jbl-system-5.html), I’ve decided to upgrade all three dashboard speakers and post enhanced DIY with pictures. His DIY is good, but doing it first time and without pictures made me really nervous – last thing I wanted is scratched dash. I’m still in the process of upgrade, but decided to start posting as I go.

Note: I'm done with upgrade: JBL GX 302 installed at the center, JBL Club 3020 installed on sides. Everything described on first two pages of this thread. Enjoy!

Speakers. Round #1: ordered the same once as CDM66061 (he did research, liked them, and they have good reviews, so why not?):
- Kicker CS354 - 3.5” – set of two on Amazon - $34.95
- JBL GX 302 – 3.5” – set of two on Amazon - $69.95
- Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles on Amazon for $4.98 for pair.

I installed Kickers on sides and JBL in center (see DIY below), got my son - teenage audiophile in the car, started one of the songs in high quality, and… we are looking at each other… well… to say at least not impressed with sound after upgrade… Okay, spend another ten minutes by adjusting equalizer, sending sounds to front completely left/right… still not impressed. Kickers sound pretty flat and static with mixed range, but definitely lack of clear highs.

I took the second JBL from pair and replaced one of Kickers on the side, so have JBL in center and on left side while Kicker on right side: dramatic difference – send sound to front and completely to left/right - JBL on the side sounds way better compare to Kicker on another.

Now it was time to pick another pair to replace Kickers... I looked at crutchfield.com and according to them (interestingly enough) there’s only one set of speakers that fits Highlander 2016 on dash sides – Kickers CS354… However, as you’ve seen I was able to fit JBL GX 302 in side spot. It didn’t just slide in, but after five seconds playing with it I was able to slide them at specific angle and rotate to mounts. I haven’t placed back speakers grill (dash cover) yet, but it looks like there shouldn’t be a problem fitting it.

I chatted with crunchfield.com and they confirmed that it’s safe to use those JBL on sides from technical prospective. After this discovery, I looked at all 3.5” speakers and ordered two pairs for Kickers replacement: JBL Club 3020 ($69.99) and Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx ($64.99 after $25 off) both on crunchfield.com. I also learned about cool and cheap device that essentially cuts off basses with fancy name Bass Blockers heh… there are four available on crunchfield.com depends at what frequency you want to cut off – higher number will leave less bass (150Hz, 300Hz, 600Hz, 800Hz). You pretty much just plug this device right before speaker and you done. I ordered two: 300Hz and 600Hz.

Now by the end of this week at my possession will be Kicker CS 354, JBL GX 302, JBL Club 3020, Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx, and two bass blockers. I will try all possible combination of them on dashboard sides and center, with and without bass blockers, and will report back to you guys on the best setup. I hope to make JBL on my new Highlander Limited a little better so we can enjoy!

[I’ve already installed Ecohitch and configured Techstream soft to change car settings, but these are different stories.]

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Change side dashboard speakers on Limited with JBL – DIY:
1. Remove side covers. You have to use thin, flat, and strong tool, but without sharp corners so it won’t scratch dashboard. I was going to buy another tool on amazon, but… TA-TA-TA – product placement – was able to use Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card (pic 1). It’s made from metal, very thin, and doesn’t have sharp corners (I used it from the corner where nothing is printed on both sides so no bumps). BTW after removing all three dash covers card still works. Now is the tensest part, so:
- you slide corner of card (or another tool) in between cover and dash,
- gently but definitely with force lift cover using dash as shoulder,
- there are two vertical grill dash poles those are on the seat side of the grills, so you want to lift cover up – pics will give you the best prospective (pic 2, pic 3)
2. Remove two bolts (10 mm)
3. Pull speaker out (goes easy)
4. Push on speaker white connector and unplug it (pic 4)
5. Unfortunately Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector didn’t, so I had to reuse speaker side main connector (white plastic block) from original speaker. Cut the wires at the bracket of stock speaker.
6. Remove speaker cables from old speaker (while pulling white plastic line push the whole thing out). There are four wires (two pairs) on the factory one, so I used black (-) and green (+) for new speaker terminating other two. Welded them to new end speaker connectors: – and + (+ to the wide one) (pic 5)
7. Just slide end connectors on new speakers, plug it to car via main connector, and check for sound (pic 6)

Voilà! Now with new end connectors in place, it’s super easy to swap speakers.

Change center dashboard speaker on Limited 2016 with JBL – DIY:
It was pretty much the same as side dash speakers except for two things:
1. You should approach cover horizontally and try to pop it without shoulder. It’s hard to explain, so pic will give you a great prospective. My center cover came out very easy (pic 7)
2. Center speaker has only two lines, so no thinking which one to use (juts make sure you don’t mix – and +).

To Be Continued…

#4 ·
Okay, spend another ten minutes by adjusting equalizer, sending sounds to front completely left/right… still not impressed
Ok, I know I'm gonna feel like an idiot once I hear the answer to this but how do I adjust the equalizer ? Whenever I go into Audio on my unit the only adjustments I can see are from front/back and left/right. I don't see an equalizer adjustment.

Like I said, I'm gonna feel like an idiot once I'm told the answer, but I had to ask.

Really looking forward to hearing the rest of your installation FlyerSD. However, I am a little bummed after reading your first post because I just purchased the JBL 302 for the center - and those Kickers for the left/right dash. I guess I'm not gonna like the Kickers...?

#5 ·
Hey MyDarkStar, based on many years of software dev management - there's no stupid questions about user interface. It's just not good enough if people asking questions :) While at playing mode (song is playing) there's a Sound button at the bottom right. Tap on it and you should see both equalizer and sounds distribution controls on same screen. This is the screen from manual - http://www.discoverwebanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/audio-controls-e1470686826900.jpg
(Page 355 in manual if forum will screw my link - I'm still getting used to this).

As for JBL audio system upgrade, I'm almost done and will post update over next couple of days.

#6 ·
Hey MyDarkStar, based on many years of software dev management - there's no stupid questions about user interface. It's just not good enough if people asking questions :) While at playing mode (song is playing) there's a Sound button at the bottom right. Tap on it and you should see both equalizer and sounds distribution controls on same screen. This is the screen from manual -

(Page 355 in manual if forum will screw my screenshot - I'm still getting used to this).

As for JBL audio system upgrade, I'm almost done and will post update over next couple of days.

#7 ·
FlyerSD - oh, I should have said I see treble, and bass too. I'm sorry about that. I thought maybe you guys found an actual equalizer or maybe a way to alter the sash do between specific speakers (not just forward and back). I feel my doors need more sent to them, not just back. I've done that and it just moves the music back, not just to the front doors.

Anyway...thanks for your response. I'm really looking forward to hearing the next part of your DIY results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
Alright, speakers have been tested! In case you don’t have time to read in details, this is the verdict: JBL GX 302 in center, JBL Club 3020 on sides. Speakers on sides do fit fine in dash, BUT I haven’t closed dash covers so cannot confirm final results (they shouldn’t fit according to crunchfield.com). I’m planning to finalize project tomorrow, so will report.

Test in details… I was testing with my teenage (audiophile) son. I had these in my possession:
- Kicker CS 354,
- JBL GX 302,
- JBL Club 3020,
- Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx,
- two bass blockers (300Hz and 600Hz).

Following Wayne Gretzky’s thought “You miss 100% of the shots you don't take” we tried any possible combination (each in center, each on sides, etc.). We also were listening them by sending sound to front only vs normal/surround. We were using three different songs in very good quality.

Step 1. Kicker CS 354 were ruled out from beginning.

Step 2. We disconnected side speakers, so were testing speakers one by one playing at center only. We’ve got two front runners:
- JBL GX 302 with 600Hz bass blocker,
- Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx,

Both sounded very good. Funny enough, when sound was sent to the front, I said that it’s playing so good so I can listen to only this speaker :)

3. We disabled center speaker, so were testing three sets of speakers one by one on sides. We’ve got two front runners:
- JBL GX 302
- JBL Club 3020

(bass blockers didn’t do any good)

4. Final test with all three speakers connected:
- Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx at center with JBL GX/Club: Infinity is less loud so doesn’t compete when you place it in center – no go. It’s a good speaker overall, but when you compare with JBL, sound is little less clear. Of course, because of highest price I had highest expectations from Infinity.
- JBL GX 302 at center and JBL Club 3020 on sides or vs versa: we simply liked how they sound with JBL GX 302 at center.

With JBL GX 302 in center and JBL Club 3020 on sides we got way better experience than with factory Highlander speakers – even my teenage son was satisfied. Of course, I’m happy with quality too – to me it sounds like upscale system (well... I had Infiniti G35 with BOSE - still not there ;)).

Note: out of those three brands, only Kicker came with speaker connectors. If you decide to go with others, don’t forget to order Speaker Connectors.

I’ll report on my final results day after tomorrow if everything go according to schedule…

#9 ·
Looking forward to it Flyer. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It will definitely make a huge impact in which speakers I get. I already plan to return the Kickers - and I haven't even listened to them yet.

#10 · (Edited)
Great to see folks eager to get better sound. Had some issues with past set of dash speakers and had to order a new set, and they are in today!. In a couple weeks I should have them in and tuned nicely.

Attachments

#12 ·
The expense for many is just around or under $50. I would say this should take no more than an hour for a first timer.
Effort is pretty minimal. As FlyerSD nicely points the steps, its really simple to pop off the grill, unscrew a couple bolts and swap connections, specially with a interface adapter he mentions.
If you can change a light in the car, you can do this.

I think with the Infinity and JBL there are a couple models that you get high sensitivity, and a wider sound range. The OEM is just a full range speaker, where as the others have a tweeter and a mid range driver. Not any major improvements, just surely any improvements would help.

#15 ·
While Crutchfield is great in such situations with service, and I would recommend in instances, you can get the gear for chunks less. But I guess with sale prices, they are close, and the only ones that are under $50 is the JBL GX 302. Thanks for updating with costs.

The speakers I had trouble with were a damaged set of the Morels. So I had to replace them (And hope for a refund from the first seller!). Sadly, this also ruined my amplifier, and is getting repaired/replaced. (Where is SweeneyP with the emoticon that has the eyes covered?)

#18 ·
omg ! That is insane Phil !!!! My god, is that what I have to do if I want to change the amplifier/processor ?!?!?!

question for you and/or Flyer : What did you guys use to attach the wires to the new dash speakers ? I know Flyer had intended to use a clip on Metra connector but that didn't work. Did you guys just solder the clipped wires onto the new speaker contacts ?

Thank you.

#19 · (Edited)
Mydarkside, I agree that Phil went pretty wild!

I solder clipped wires to speaker connectors (NOT to actual speakers): two that came with Kicker (my bet... restocking fees), and one to Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector (cut main white connector off). You can see result on picture #6 at the beginning of the thread. This way I can easily swap speakers.

#20 · (Edited)
LOL, Not at all for an amp, you don't need to do this.
But I CLD, CCF, MLV (Vibration dampener, Decoupling foam, high density rubber vinyl sound barrier) to sound "proof" the car first. Then added amps and speakers, etc.
The doors sound and feel solid, and the ride has become noticeably quieter.
Oddly, since I have no system in the car, I have had days of use in" silence"....Otherwise with a stereo working/playing, it might be less obvious.

I took SPL readings, and from a
-5.5 Peak dbFS (doors were already 80% CLD covered) I am now around a -8.5 to 9. (CLD/CCF/MLV on floor from hatch to firewall, and on doors)
-30 dbFS RMS to -24 dbFS RMS

I'm still not sure how those numbers work as I didn't look into them, and I didn't use my analog meter, which I will do. I had done it when I had the car a year+ ago with 0 sound treatment. So I will test with that meter as well, now with max treatment that I am willing to put in.
So the difference is a pretty good amount. The sound of the tires is gone, and you hear the AC the wind on glass, and cell conversation, all are better.

#21 ·
Well I am certainly impressed. That's just plain out insane. If you're married your wife must have pulled her hair out when she saw that. But if you can pull it off I'm sure it pretty much kicks ass. I saw the other things you did with the custom sub and everything. Man, you are loco.

#22 · (Edited)
Well I am certainly impressed. That's just plain out insane. If you're married your wife must have pulled her hair out when she saw that. But if you can pull it off I'm sure it pretty much kicks ass. I saw the other things you did with the custom sub and everything. Man, you are loco.

She did call me crazy, and likely thought of pulling MY hair out.
The only reason why I was able to start this was that she herself thought the stereo didn't sound right when we first got the car.

I knew it was bad, but initially she was the driver of this (which turns out to be me most of the time) car. I thought with full honesty, that it was the worst sounding stereo of any 10 or so cars I have had dating back to the late 80's.

So, I had ordered the sound materials to do it, but things didn't unfold with install timing as planned. So I did part of it on the doors, and the system I thought was done. My results were very good, but not great in comparison to what I thought it should be with sound stage. I put a lot of money into it, so before I swapped out the dash speakers, I wanted to do a proper sound "proofing".

And here we are.
Last week when my wife asked "when are you coming home for dinner"?, and I texted her that picture saying; "I'm in the middle of the car stereo", She texted me back that I was nuts.

I admit, I did go a little overboard. But anyone with the desire to put in a nice sounding system, with substantial money in the system, should not do it without taking this step(or anyone that just wants a quieter ride). It makes a striking difference, in overall scope of things.

#23 ·
Great info!! I have been unhappy with the sound quality in my 2015 Highlander Limited ever since I bought it last year. I have spoken to Crutchfield on a couple of occasions and they seem to think replacing door speakers would also help. This seems like too big a job for a DIY project. Has anyone done this? Thanks again.

#24 · (Edited)
If they have direct adapters, even for a first timer, taking the door covers off is pretty easy...

But if you are usually fumbling on such DIY projects, or just don't want to take the time, maybe it's best to have it done. Something like this I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a place like BedtBuy. But even then each place has a different level installer.

#25 ·
Alright, done with dash speakers upgrade. Everything went as planned: JBL GX 302 mounted at center, JBL Club 3020 on sides (they DO FIT on sides - all covers closed with no issues!). I added two washers on side speakers: in between dash mount and speaker (will post pics tomorrow morning).

Very pleased with sound now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Helpful pix!
I would recommend stuffing pillow filler or some spun foam filler behind them, and some rubber butyl rope or some rubber material as a gasket between the dash and speaker(although the dash is a bit malleable).
If you notice strong refelctions, you can shim the drivers up in the back so the sound hits towards the headliner more than a direct bounce off glass. But thats maybe "hear nor there"?

#35 · (Edited)
After looking at the OEM speakers in the doors and dash, there was no doubt in my mind on how weak a system design and material was used.
Their budget for the Entune system was the last effort in completing the new designed Highlander. And that is really perfectly fine with me. I rarely leave stock systems in the car. (Toyota makes it pretty straight forward to replace with aftermarket).

So I knew I was changing all the speakers and adding a sub.
I did go through a couple changes. They were due to the Headunit. If I had changed the Head Unit in the first place, I would have saved a lot of the head ache.

Due to the head unit signal, I changed to a more powerful amp to feed the front speakers.
I also had a fully featured Digital Signal Processor added and tuned a couple times, again DUe to the HeadUnit.
I then changed the head unit from the OEM to an aftermarket, despite the efforts of using the DSP, that usually does well in creating a full signal from a stock headunit that has mixed signals.
But the Entune has a weak and limited signal you cant recover, and fully improve to full frequencies, and the signal out was below 2volts.

I initially had a 6.5 in the door and a tweeter in the dash. The component set from a older German brand called MBQuart. I used the QSD216 line.
But...
It wasn't possible to raise the sound stage high enough to ear level with 3000Hz and below being in the doors.
SO I recently changed the dash tweeters to 2 way Point source speakers, Morel Integra Hybrid 402, 4".

In a week or 2 I should have it all in. (I was able to just install everything last night: Se post edit date).

Also, I didn't do all this work myself. I had installers I worked with and some I did myself.
The door speakers are adapters my installer made. He also made the box for the sub in the cargo area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.