Toyota Nation Forum banner

2017 rearview camera: rain drop issues

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Rickvmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else experienced rain drop issues on the rearview camera? Heavy rain resulted in plenty of rain drops obscuring the camera lens to the point of being unusable. I have not experienced this with other cars. Not sure if it was run off or rain hitting the backside of the car. I'll try to jimmy some duct tape "shield", though I am not sure how well this will hold up.

#6 ·
FWIW...also noticed same on mine (2014) but rare. Lens view can also get obstructed from what ever splashing up or running down from lift gate. Not big enuf issue for me in trying a shunt or ? to keep lens clear. But.....

Dont become complacent (take for granted) about all the safety features, sensors/eyes etc, because u still need to keep your "manual skills sharp" :wink:

#7 ·
Yes, I've noticed that rain/dirt gets on the camera lens rather easily. I've never thought of it as an "issue" before.

Maybe that happens because the camera has a much better view of the outside world. The viewing angle on this camera is a LOT wider than it was on my 2nd gen HL. It's wonderful for situations where there is angled parking along a street - the camera can see all the way down the street long before I can when looking through one of the rear windows.

I'll take that field of view over some kind of rain shelter.

#8 ·
Maybe that happens because the camera has a much better view of the outside world. The viewing angle on this camera is a LOT wider than it was on my 2nd gen HL. It's wonderful for situations where there is angled parking along a street - the camera can see all the way down the street long before I can when looking through one of the rear windows.I'll take that field of view over some kind of rain shelter.
Tks, didn't know 2nd Gen. B U C view was smaller. So, nice improvement. Leaving mine alone.

FWIW. friend has 2115 Ford F150 B U C view is in the "rear view mirror". About 2"X2".
:confused:

#9 ·
This is a useless post, what do you expect to happen to a camera mounted to the back of a vehicle? The wind turbulence will allow for dirt, sand and salt to go all over the rear of a vehicle. The "rain drops" in question could actually be an accumulation of mist from the road that turns into a drop. Either way like the poster above stated I will take the field of view over hiding it so it is completely hidden from the elements. The camera is to aid in backing, its not the end all be all for backing up. Just like a mirror isn't.

#10 ·
I have never driven a vehicle with a rear view camera that didn't get a messed up view in rain/snow/mud. I've always wanted to try a Volkswagen where the rear view camera is mounted behind the VW logo and pops out when in reverse. I would think that would keep it from getting dirty when driving.

#13 ·
Just for fun as well as I had to wait for rain/snow to do some real-world testing before I can come back here with additional comment...
Basically, aside from waxing the lens to minimize dirt and water from sticking (in my previous post), I placed a piece of electrical tape around the square housing (Left/Right/Top - using a blue painter's tape in the attached picture for easy viewing and illustration only), although the "shade" helped to minimize turbulence dirt build-up at the same time it was also partially in the way of field-of-view (I didn't like it, needs further improvement), so in the end I just removed it.
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Automotive lighting Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.