Toyota Nation Forum banner

Factory Ordering a 2017 Highlander - Pricing>

6K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  got-rice 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone. Much appreciate any help on this. I've bought cars before, in person or via email w/ dealers. I've never factory ordered a car and don't know how to approach it. Anyways, I'm looking for a 17 highlander limited platinum AWD, but with a second row bench. Not easy to find. There is one in my town, but that dealer isn't playing the game so far...I've even had another dealer offer a price of $43,694.00 + ttl + dealer ads vs the MSRP of $49,232.00, for the car on the other dealer's lot.

I've looked all over my state and closely surrounding states, but I'd have to travel quite a bit coming home with it...don't know if I want to put 600+ miles on a the new car like that, unless the price is outstanding.

SO, factory ordering?? The one dealer I asked about factory ordering via email, said this:

"As far as pricing, I cannot quote you until we get the vehicle in our inventory. So please consider us..."

So when factory ordering, I can't negotiate price until they receive the car? He did not ask for a deposit, but if he does ask for one, I see all the advantage on his side, if I can't even negotiate a price while ordering. I'm not wanting to put a deposit down unless it's fully refundable and price is secured, minus the understanding that rebates and interest rates may change when the car arrives on the lot, as I know it can take a while.

Bottom line, I'm not in a hurry at all.

Thoughts on factory ordering through a dealer?

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
"As far as pricing, I cannot quote you until we get the vehicle in our inventory. So please consider us..."

So when factory ordering, I can't negotiate price until they receive the car? He did not ask for a deposit, but if he does ask for one, I see all the advantage on his side, if I can't even negotiate a price while ordering. I'm not wanting to put a deposit down unless it's fully refundable and price is secured, minus the understanding that rebates and interest rates may change when the car arrives on the lot, as I know it can take a while.

Bottom line, I'm not in a hurry at all.

Thoughts on factory ordering through a dealer?

Thanks!!!
That's BS. I ordered a '17 Hybrid Limited about 4 weeks ago because there were no hybrids anywhere in my area or even close by. I've also factory ordered another car (not a Toyota) about 4 years ago. In both cases, price was negotiated up front and I received a printout of the agreed upon price, same as if you had negotiated for a car on the lot.

In both cases, I had to put down $1000 earnest money, which I have been told is fully refundable (didn't need to walk from the last deal, hopefully won't have to this time). One thing they cannot do at the time of ordering is evaluate a trade-in since obviously the value can change in the time it takes for the car to get there (as well as financing rates that you noted above).

#3 · (Edited)
Hello, illgototexas.

It's been quite a few years since I did my factory order through Toyota, but I negotiated my deal first and had to put down a deposit (fully refundable and contigent upon my inspection/test drive).

You and I are in the Gulf States Toyota region - an independent Toyota distributor. Here is a link to the Gulf States inventory (you can filter) in case you haven't see it:

https://www.gst.buyatoyota.com/en/inventory/results/?series=highlander&brand=toyota

Since time is on your side, I'd continue to email as many dealers as you can travel to with your specifications. I doubt you'll have to travel too far if at all. Good luck.

#5 ·
"I've even had another dealer offer a price of $43,694.00 + ttl + dealer ads vs the MSRP of $49,232.00, for the car on the other dealer's lot."

Does this mean that you have been offered the car you found for that price from the second dealer? And did that price include the current $1000 rebate in your area? I'm not sure that you would be able to get that price if you ordered one. And the rebate is only good until 2/28.

Doug

#6 ·
Hi Doug - I actually heard back from the dealer that actually has the car. They had an interesting comment about my quote. And I'm not sure the quote from the other dealer includes the rebate or not, but it has to be the same car, as there is only one in my city, which they acknowledged, and the MSRP is the exact same as are the options. The dealer that has the car said this:

"The best price we can do on this one is $46,998. They will not be able to get this one from our inventory."

So it's an interesting situation. Dealer in another city claims they can get it for me, which would require me to drive away from my city, to possibly get the car that's in my hometown....

#9 ·
Hey Whip - I've visited a few in Houston and emailed with just about all of them. The one that has what I'm looking for but is not playing ball is Don Mcgill. They were the worst to deal with when I went in to just test drive and actually look inside a Limited model for the first time, as we were initially looking at that. Most of the other Toyota dealers have been more helpful or easier to test drive with (multiple test drives are important to me, and I'm not done with them either). Don Mcgill wanted one of my kidneys for a test drive, and their pricing is horrible so far. And the car remains on the lot unsold.

I had a dealer this evening offer me a car not yet at the port that matches my requirements (and is almost exactly the same as the one at Don Mcgill), for $43,824.22 (3k lower than Don). A better number, but I think I can bring him down or take the number elsewhere to shop it. I've seen my car priced lower in other states that I would consider making a road trip home from...so I have no problem pointing that out to the dealers here.

#10 ·
$49k is awful high for MSRP on a HL Limited Platinum. What else is on it? Maybe that dealer put on a lot of extra accessories to make it one-of-a-kind, which would explain why they're reluctant to part with it.

As others have said, it's quite possible to negotiate price before placing a factory order. You just have to find the right dealer. I ordered my 15 Tacoma, and we agreed on price (both on the new truck and my trade) before they placed the order. They didn't even want any money down. It took over two months to get the new truck, but it was exactly what I wanted.

Rebates are tough when you special order like that. You must take delivery during the rebate period to get the extra deal. So rebates in effect at the time you order really don't do you any good, but you could get lucky and have a special finance rate or cash back offer at the time your car is delivered.

#11 ·
Order New

I will special order a new Highlander XLE-AWD, end of March, I want the factory tow pkg, which includes hitch and harness, HD alternator, oil cooler. We cannot beat these dealers, except do a deal, be satisfied with it, and don't look back.
My last 4Runner purchase, 2015 SR5 - 4WD, e-tunes, deck, was ordered. I did not want the dealer to "source or trade", from another dealer, and I wanted "new". I was in the SE Toyota network then, worked out the delivered price, then said, this will be ordered.

The 4Runners, etc., come into the Jacksonville port. It was a "C" delivery. Meaning that they would either get it inserted into production at Japan, or tag one on the ship coming over. This took 5 weeks, it went to Jacksonvile port, the sliding deck was added, put on the trailer with others, straight down I-95 to the dealer, 2.2 miles on the ODO when I took delivery. If the dealer tells you buy from inventory only, just walk out.

I have no problem buying near or far. IMO, the dealers do not have to do much to sell Toyotas, and members on these forums usually know what they want before visiting the dealer.
Vince

Attachments

#14 ·
I just put down 1000 refundable on platinum hybrid with silver paint/ saddle seats and had an upfront price. I would not have done it without a price. There was only one other with that trim level and color combo and it was 1500 miles away. I was told I could skip all the dealer add-ons since it would be coming direct from the port.

#15 ·
Update and question. 5 days ago was my first time ordering a new car. I told my sales guy and his manager a price I would pay for the colors and options I wanted and they agreed with a handshake and smile. I put down 1000. They said they would try to get one off another lot, but I knew that probably wouldn't happen and I would have to wait on one from the factory, about 6-8 weeks which is ok with me. Only problem is that I didn't get any sort of written agreement for that price. I've been asking, but nothing with the price/options has been sent to me. I'm willing to give them more time if I can get some sort of document with the price, but I am finding the options I want in other cities within 8 hours or so. Does the dealer give you any sort of contract or signed doc with the price and options that was agreed when you order a car. And if they have to order one and wait 4-8 weeks, do you get a serial number at some point before the car arrives?

#16 ·
I'm no expert in factory ordering (I've only done it once), plus you live in Southeast Toyota territory which I'm not familiar with. Hopefully somebody who is will chime in.

You said in another post that your deposit is refundable. Do you have that in writing? Was it a check or credit card? I'm asking because I would first see if my check has been cashed or card charged.

Are you speaking with them by phone or by email? You need to email the new car sales manager and your salesperson with your Highlander specs and agreed upon price (be very nice in the email!). Ask them to reply with an approximate delivery window (just to get a response). This way you establish a paper trail.

If they are completely unresponsive and haven't already cashed/charged your deposit, you might consider cancelling the check/charge and finding another dealer. If they have already cashed/charged your deposit, go directly (in person) to the new car sales manager (not an assistant manager who is probably who you've been dealing with). They are usually much more responsive. If you still can't get anything in writing, go up the chain of command to the general manager.

Now after saying all of that, everything is probably fine. They are probably getting your HL, but it may "somehow" end up having more options than you requested (refuse to pay for them if that happens). SET and GST are notorious for that - it's probably why they are reluctant to put it in writing.

Don't lose any sleep over it. Send the emails and see what happens. Sorry they are making it so difficult for you!

#17 ·
Thanks for the insight Rocket. They did charge my bank card, But I'm not really worried about getting that back. They have rendered no service and my bank will pull my funds from them at my request anytime within the next 60 days. I'm guessing everything will be fine and I'm going on the assumption they need the sale more than I need the car. It just makes me nervous when someone I gave money to becomes unresponsive. But I Was quoted a really good price. That is my main concern. That the price was too good to be true and when the car finally gets here, there will be all sorts of add-ons. If that happens I will walk. And yes, southeast toyota is much different than toyota in the rest of the country. Apparently, in addition to the $900 destination/delivery fee, they try to tack on a $900 charge just for the priveldge of being in their sales territory. If I don't get a signed statement with the price we agreed by next weekend, I will pull my offer and get one outside of my area.

Reactions: rockett1021
#21 ·
I am late on posting from original post. You can always ask for the VIN when it goes to production, even weeks before you get it.

There are many flood cars coming up for sale from TX, beware on used certified cars, no matter which mfg.

I just purchased a new XLE-AWD Highlander, ordered it, took 4 weeks, wifes ride. Traded our 15 4Runner with 50876 on odo.
$11,500.00 difference. This is the only number we should care about. 39K Highlander & 27500 for the 4Runner.

#22 · (Edited)
I am late on posting from original post. You can always ask for the VIN when it goes to production, even weeks before you get it.
Usually, a customer cannot get a build to order Toyota, unless things have changed since I knew how things worked.

The distributor orders a big batch of vehicles months in advance, and then a dealer can browse the list of already ordered vehicles with expected delivery date and request that a specific vehicle be "reserved" for their dealership, which they will sell to you if and when they get it from the distributor. So long as the distributor doesn't double-cross the dealer, then everything will be OK.

But if a distributor gives it to another dealer for some reason (like a bribe, or because they are a very important dealer to the distributor, or because they are pissed at your dealer), then that "could" happen, because that VIN doesn't actually have your name on it (except in the records of the dealer if they actually get that vehicle that they reserved with the distributor).

This is different to the way almost all American cars could be ordered from the factory more than 25 years ago, where the customer could custom order and their name was actually on the ticket at the factory throughout the manufacturing process. I think Corvette still does that, but not sure how many other domestics allow it.

MB and BMW also have a build to customer order program (and additionally you can go to Germany and pick up the car at the factory, use it on vacation, and they will ship it back to the US for you after your vacation). But generally, build to customer order is not as common anymore. One reason is that those who custom order from the factory usually get fewer discounts off the MSRP. The other reason is options are now bundled into a few Trim Levels Packages, so there aren't as many permutations as existed in the old days when a customer could order exactly whatever options they wanted, regardless of Trim Level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.