Toyota Nation Forum banner

suspension squeaking noise

126K views 219 replies 91 participants last post by  franco1903 
#1 ·
Driving slow over the speed bumps noticed squeaking noise coming from rear end suspension. Anyone have this problem?

#3 · (Edited)
I didn't notice when I had my HL...will check tomorrow when I get it back. But there could be some more info to go on...

How many miles do you have?(maybe its just getting "flexed" in),
How many people/cargo in the car?
Was it in the early hours when you just started out? Was it cold?
Was it head on or at an angle?
etc

Its likley no one else has heard it, and can't relate?

#5 ·
Same problem also. When I brake hard or soft and the vehicle comes to a complete stop, I can hear the back suspension creak. When I am going to get my oil changed in the next couple of months I am going to ask them to look into it.

Only 3.5k miles on it.

#6 ·
You guys need to say when squeaking 1st noticed. ;) Only have 200+mi. on mine, but so far no squeaks over speed bumps or elsewhere. But, HL sure takes bumps better than my truck. lol!

Reactions: Phil Indeblanc
#13 ·
I managed to fix the squeek. It was actually a dumb thing. On August I had a blow out. I replaced the blown tire with the spare. When I took the truck to get a new tire, the guys didn't tighten the spare when the placed it back in its position. So every time I would hit a minor bump, the tire would move and make the noise. I just got the tools for the spare and tightened the spare in the storage place. Hope this helps.

#18 ·
i went in, they changed both shock and it's still making that noise so they took a new highlander in the parking lot with 5 km on it and its doing the same squeak noise.

seriously comming from a 50k+$ car and toyota din't manage it when they test the car before production?

wonder if i call toyota directly it would change something.

#15 ·
Rear suspension, 2014 Highlander

I definitely have the squeaky noise coming from the rear suspension when going over bumps or turning right at the bottom of a hill. Took to dealer today. The tech heard the noise. I left the car. They said they drove another 2014 Highlander and it was a normal noise. NO WAY. About 12,000 miles on it and I've noticed this problem for the last 2,000 miles or so.

#16 ·
Can only say mine @ 6K+ mi. NO squeaks so far. Recently in new (to me) shopping center I went over speed bump which turned out to be "higher" compared to others. Mighta gone over alittle faster than I normally do, but still only got a big clunk (not squeaky) sorta sound.

Ole saying.."Squeaky wheel gets the grease". Can be PIA, but keep taking back to dealer until squeak is fixed. Also get "r/o copy" each time showing your issue & what if anything done. Normal NOT!

FWIW...Have found suspension/body squeaks in past. Requires getting enuf wt. on either front or rear end so u can bounce it up/down. Get helper underneath listening etc. Sometimes I could bounce up/down myself, when not I called my good 300+ lb. buddy. :wink:

#17 ·
I have a 2014 AWD XLE, purchased in March. We started noticing a squeak a couple of months ago. Grocery store speed, regular speed bump, there is definitely a "not normal" squeak or groan coming from the rear suspension. Sounds like a rusty spring - I want to go hit it with some WD-40!

Just took it in for the 15k service and asked them to look at it. They reported "makes same noise over bumps as like Highlander. Nothing abnormal heard at this time."

Well my wife and I hear it and it doesn't sound right!

Not sure what next step should be.

#19 ·
This is a major PROBLEM with TOYOTA...... if another vehicle exhibits the same noise/issue, they consider it normal.... instead of a model-line problem that needs fixed.

This is BS...... and this is why I say Toyota's Warranty is utterly useless in most cases.

Not to mention, if you have problems not getting an issue resolved with your local Toyota dealer.... what do you do? You have to drive an hour or better to find another one, unlike a domestic maker who may have 5 different dealerships in a 30 mile radius.

#20 ·
well the dealer told me nothing they can do, it's toyota fault.

well i dont what to know who's fault is it i want it fix, thats what i told the dealer, told me call toyota canada.

next time when i will replace my HL , i wont even consider that brand i will go honda pilote.

#22 ·
I just had the PLEASURE of receiving a dealership performance questionnaire from Toyota ..... oh yeah, I told them exactly everything I have been thinking about the horrible Toyota service I received at the local dealership.

Same here.... this will probably be my first and LAST Toyota..... how they got a reputation for quality is beyond me. They have been less than average in after-sale support for me and just 'average' for vehicle build quality.

#23 ·
Rays....frastrating for sure. Makes me wonder what tech did that indicated to him "rear shocks making squeak noise" ? Obviously misdiagnosed & didn't fix.

Just thinking...Your told to call toyo is passing the buck (so to speak) Dealer right in they don't make um, but left with task of fixing them. So, why didn't new shocks correct squeak? Unless freebe fix, betcha tech listed why shocks needed in order for toyo to pay.

I'd call toyo & get a complaint file started. Fortunately overall not a biggie, but squeaks are/can be annoying. Maybe toyo will authorize extended tech. time to find squeak & fix it ? Good luck!

#24 ·
anyone have this issue with the '15 Highlander? i've been hearing subtle clunky noises when come to a complete stop at slow speed like the other poster mentioned, mine is only 500 miles in, the noise could be from one of the child seat latch hooks. here's the thing with brand new car, we tend to notice every little sound and trying to analyze it because we don't wanna get ripped off paying for a defective product. so i'll give mine a few more weeks before treating it more seriously.

#25 ·
My problem is not only with a bump, but also when you apply the brakes to a stop, then the car settles after the stopping force and makes the rattling sound. Its almost like the suspension rubber bushings in the rear sway bar. I am going to see when I take it back in for its next service.

#28 ·
I too am getting a clunk or bonk sound when vehicle settles back after stopping, as well as when slowing down while braking. Started a separate thread it since it's not really a squeak or creak, but now I'm thinking it's all related. 2015 HL 4300 miles.

#29 ·
2014 Limited Platinum here and I have noticed some noise in the back as well. I could be wrong but it seems to be from the drivers side rear. Like others its only on larger bumps and I only seem to hear it going slow. For example backing out of my driveway going over the curb to get onto the street. Its not a squeak, but more so like a rubbing sound. As if the tire is quickly brushing against the fender, but I cant imagine it would be. Mileage is at around 6K, cant remember the first time I have heard it but I would say atleast a few months now. Now that I think of it it may have started when the temps have gone down now that its winter. I will mention it to them at the 10K appointment, but besides that I would be curious to see if it happens when the temps go back up in the sprint time.
I have not got under the car yet to look things over, but I cant imagine being able see anything abnormal. Its probably shock related as someone mentioned above.

#30 ·
We have a Platinum purchased in early 2014. At around 12K miles, we started hearing the creak when going over certain bumps, exiting our driveway, etc. I think it is more likely to happen when the temps are cold. The noise definitely comes from the drivers side rear. At the 15K service right before Christmas, we reported to dealer but they could not reproduce. It was unseasonably warm on that day. After almost a year of ownership now, there is much to like about the HL but unfortunately almost as much to not like.