Toyota Nation Forum banner

Neoprene seat covers, just installed!

11K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  goleafsgo5 
#1 ·
Well, at least the second row :facepalm:

from another post:

10 minutes ago I installed the CoverKing Neoprene covers on the 2nd row. Its the most complex row(and most abused by the kids), and I was very impressed at how all the seatbelts and folds and such fit so well.

I broke a sweat in the 85F weather putting them on.
The install was pretty straight forward, but it wasn't something I can say very easy. It takes time to make sure all the areas that need form fit and accurate placement are all in the right spots. The hardest part was getting the folding cloth under the cup holder and secured down. I have to take another look as I know I need to adjust mine to be a bit better.

FlyF1 had called CoverKing and he was quoted ~$200 a row, and I have to say it is worth it. There are clasps and zippers and multiple materials used to make sure the recline and forward motion and all functions including center cup holders all work with no problem.
The front seats are still the leather while the 2nd row is a MATCHING neoprene. Actually they did a great job on the neoprene. (Now if they speed things up a bit and do the corrections on my leather, I would be super happy).

Here are a few pictures....
(Keep in mind, I have not fastened the hooks and such in a few spots)

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good Phil! Do you have first hand experience sitting in a vehicle with neoprene seat covers?

I had them once in a Jeep and I hated them!! Zero breath-ability so I would sweat like a pig and they would cause the worst swamp @ss you could ever imagine on hot days.

Before you kill yourself completing the install I suggest that you sit in the seats for a bit and have someone drive you around for a while to confirm that these covers are a viable option for you.

Reactions: funman1
#4 · (Edited)
Looks good Phil! Do you have first hand experience sitting in a vehicle with neoprene seat covers?

I had them once in a Jeep and I hated them!! Zero breath-ability so I would sweat like a pig and they would cause the worst swamp @ss you could ever imagine on hot days.
They are more breathable than leather. I did experience them briefly, and I really liked them. Time will tell, as I don't like characteristics that contribute to heat or discomfort. One of the reasons I preferred cloth. There is a synth neoprene that doesn't breath. Is it possible you had those? I installed in 2nd row as booster chairs rub on the seats. Just to keep that wear from happening, and spills..etc.

#7 ·
Well, at least the second row :facepalm:

from another post:

The front seats are still the leather while the 2nd row is a MATCHING neoprene. Actually they did a great job on the neoprene. (Now if they speed things up a bit and do the corrections on my leather, I would be super happy).

Here are a few pictures....
(Keep in mind, I have not fastened the hooks and such in a few spots)

Hi Phil,

They look really good. Did you have the front seats leather installed by a shop? The coverkings color look like they match perfectly. What color combination did you use?

#8 ·
Yes, Pecca Leather/CoverKing did the leather seats. They are a replacement that their shop does. Not a cover like the neoprene. Dropped the kids off this morning to camp, and they liked how soft it was...And I liked how they wont get their shoe scuffs or booster seat wear marks all over the leather. I think I'll put the front ones on in the next few days and see how I like them. But ultimately my wife has to like them. (despite my Don Draper moments)

#10 ·
Reactions: YahYah
#12 · (Edited)
I have some reservations on the leather, as that is new to them, and I had some issues that they promised to resolve and have not yet completed. It was on the material used and some of the things in my car they need to replace due to damage durring install. As for the neoprene It looks really good. I think they have this process down, as they've done this for years. So I have some reservations recommending CoverKing for the leather just yet.

If you read the leather thread, you can see when the car was in and when I got it back...about 40 days! Yes that had a lot to do with the fact that they did make the original first pattern from my car, but they told me about 10 work days. But, if they do get on the ball and fix my concerns, I would recommend them, as the stitching quality is very good.

#13 · (Edited)
Does CoverKing have installers of the leather in NJ?

I know Katzkins does leather for the 2014 HL, and you can get 100% premium leather installed by one of the nationwide installers for under $2000 ($1700). They have other options starting for less.

#16 ·
I will ask the obvious question. Why did you install leather only to cover it up immediately? Why not just cover the oem upholstery with the seat covers? Nice looking though. Why would you get "free" leather if you are not boldly advertising it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You can read the "custom leather thread" to answer those questions.
As far covering up the leather immediately...Do you have kids? What do you rather mess up, easily replaceable seat covers or the skin of the seat?

#18 ·
In that thread I breifly explain that the leather install didn't go so smooth, so it would be a disservice to the public to recommend a company if they don't honor their word, or if they damage things and don't repair them. They have agreed to take care of things, just taking longer than expected, and I had to work for it and point things out to them.

Also, they exchanged their service and product for borrowing the car, not my advertising.

#25 ·
Had a big spill a few days ago with my youngster....I enjoyed the fact that the neoprenes were in the car. No juice got in the leather or on stitching and so forth.
Just wiped it up and things were dry. The juice did some discoloring, which I think a wash will take care of. Back in it goes once air dry.

Maybe I'll put them in the front seats too. Lately I have been making coffee and my wife likes to take the mug with her into the car.

#27 ·
Do you know what "model" these covers are?

Im looking for 2nd and maybe 3rd row covers to keep my toddler (and niece & nephew) from destroying the seats.

Walmart has the custom made Coverking MODA covers for $99/row.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MODA-by-C...-e-gift-card-purchase-Email-Delivery/24520571

Seems like the best deal I've found for a made to order cover.
If they're the same as you've got I'll definitely spring for them.

#28 ·
My car was the mold for CoverKing.
They all fit fine, but the material around the fold down cup holder(not a worry area) does not in my demo model. Also some levers like the fold down are accessible, but the opening is not perfect.
Perhaps they did some alteration work on the final product? I leave the cup holder cover off. The made a 2 tone for me, and likely they have that available

#29 · (Edited)
I think I just found the info to answer my own question.
I found this in a blog on their site, referring to the Moda line:
"These seat covers don't have the same stitching as that of the main Coverking line, nor does it come with a back pocket for front seats. Other than that, the covers are virtually identical to the main Coverking line. With Moda, you get the same fit and comfort of a Coverking seat cover for less!"

So half the price of the "neosupreme" covers but maybe not the best choice for front seats since the map pockets will be covered up. And assuming different stitching means weaker stitching, maybe not the best for the drivers seat that will get the most wear and tear. Looks like 4 color choices vs 8, and you cant pick the color configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.