Toyota Nation Forum banner

3rd Gen Highlander General "OFF TOPIC" Chat Thread

135K views 348 replies 66 participants last post by  Phil Indeblanc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Alright this is a place for off-topic conversation instead of derailing threads.

Post whatever, but if it fizzles out and dies (this forum might not have enough activity), I'll remove it.

I'll sticky this in a day or 2 after so people can see it before it jumps to the top of the forum :thumbsup:

#3 ·
That's a great topic to start this thread off with. "What to consider when titling a thread ".

I see your point. I would surely not start the thread title with "3rd Gen...". Already it being in the 3rd Gen section it kills the ease of search and hierarchy naming. I can see General Chat thread, or as mentioned, "Off Topic".

I also would like to understand why its important to sideline discussions in otther topics when the OP's question is already answered. Once it is answered besides it going towards personal jabs, I find the thread being much more valuable with braches of other topics to discuss. Its what usually leads to posting another thread. (Sometimes making an entire section like this that will be short lived. These discussions on threads like "Has anyone done a race for 0-60 on the HL yet" should snowball into all sorts of discussions.

Gagging anyone from further discussion just isn't what open, American discussion is all about. Once the OP's question is answered, let the thread go where it needs to go. As long as all are adults, and the OP did get some good helpful feedback, this would be putting a limit on free speech. And don't give me the "Oh you can discuss it here". NO, that is not a place where there is any traffic to gain in the conversation. hats controlling the situation. Its sidelining it.

Why not have discussions of a car problem lead to discussions of a bigger problem?

This is what gets people informed.
Is TN in the business of trying to practice Net Neutrality in a different way?
I don't think it wants to be associated with such practice and censorship. Most people on this forum are adults, and we do behave like adults most of the time.

Moderators are designed to do exactly that, moderate and keep things in check. Not sideline discussions and box them out of existence. These are the open conversations we would have at campfires that spark into something valuable. Bringing different perspectives into focus.

Why limit mankind's natural urge to share, discuss, and evolve!?

Reactions: RickDoAll
#5 ·
3rd Gen Highlander General Chat Thread

Wow, some of us have a very narrow point of view. Naming something as just a chat thread is not a good idea without at least identifying the forum. Web search results don't tell you which forum they're in.

And letting threads go into any topic of discussion is a bad idea. You may think TN is just a big chat room, but it's actually a place where people are looking for answers. Just because the OP's question is answered doesn't mean that's the end of the discussion on that topic in that thread. Most people find TN via a web search for answers. If they find the specific thread title related to their topic and pull it up, we want it to be on topic to help them. Having an off topic discussion just clutters it up and causes them to waste A LOT of time reading posts that are not applicable. Then when they post at the end of the thread of a similar problem, you've now got this thread with the topic at the beginning and end with pages of other discussions in between requiring the moderators to clean it up to make it useful again. If that was what TN was about, then you'd have one thread in every forum with no way to create threads. Why bother if everything can be discussed in every thread?

So by taking a thread with a specific problem and derailing it, you've made it harder for someone to use that thread in the future and/or created more work for the staff here (who are all volunteers BTW). They really don't need the extra work.

Reactions: riseboi
#8 ·
Wow, some of us have a very narrow point of view. Naming something as just a chat thread is not a good idea without at least identifying the forum. Web search results don't tell you which forum they're in.

And letting threads go into any topic of discussion is a bad idea. You may think TN is just a big chat room, but it's actually a place where people are looking for answers. Just because the OP's question is answered doesn't mean that's the end of the discussion on that topic in that thread. Most people find TN via a web search for answers. If they find the specific thread title related to their topic and pull it up, we want it to be on topic to help them. Having an off topic discussion just clutters it up and causes them to waste A LOT of time reading posts that are not applicable. Then when they post at the end of the thread of a similar problem, you've now got this thread with the topic at the beginning and end with pages of other discussions in between requiring the moderators to clean it up to make it useful again. If that was what TN was about, then you'd have one thread in every forum with no way to create threads. Why bother if everything can be discussed in every thread?

So by taking a thread with a specific problem and derailing it, you've made it harder for someone to use that thread in the future and/or created more work for the staff here (who are all volunteers BTW). They really don't need the extra work.
On the contrary. Sidelining the conversation IS the narrow point of view! An open point of view would be to have some flex in discussion topic(Again, after OP is answered).

I see what your saying from a searchers point of view. I still don't think there is anything wrong AFTER the OP has been addressed in a number of ways for a discussion to continue. Searchers have to read through stuff regardless, they can tell within a few words if that reply is on topic or not.

I do understand if the work load for volunteers stcks up, but at least in the 3rd Gen thread, I don't see it happen as often compared to say the modified racers that 18 and overs get into arguments over. I could be wrong, but (?)

#6 ·
Well, I would have added to the front windshield defect thread, but it was closed. My highlander had the windshield delamination defect and I noticed it on the dealer lot before I drove it away. The service guy looked at it and immediately ordered a new windshield and installed it a couple of days later.

The other thing that I noticed is that the driver side floor mat was not installed properly. This absolutely amazed me given Toyota's recent history. I would have thought that they would inspect that with all thoroughness.

#9 · (Edited)
3rd gen name stays as this thread is searchable from anywhere. Needs to be identifiable. As for saying off-topic, anything goes here (within reason), on topic/off topic whatever, hence the general.

--------------------------

Yes Phil, our sole purpose of being here is to make sure you don't get your "open American discussion" :D

No in all seriousness, its a time and place thing. This is not a free for all forum (those are out there), its a car forum where people come with questions and hopefully get answers. Sure that thread was "answered" and that's fine, but when it gets derailed about how bad big business is (which is a massive u-turn in topic direction), it gets hard for the random onlooker. I don't think you realize because you post more than any other member by far in the 3rd gen forum, so chances are your up to date on the status of most threads and the current discussion going on in them. So for you jumping to anther topic may be easy. However if someone finds that thread via google (which happens a lot), they have to read through all that extra stuff, which is a massive waste of time and can be confusing. You might have known the discussion was over, but they won't. So again its a time and place.

We have a whole other sub-forum on toyotanation you may want to look into, its the actual off topic forum and its pretty active. You can go to town there on those topics http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/9-off-topic/

If you want to have a discussion here (3rd gen forum) on that stuff, please keep it to the chat thread. The point of this forum is to be a source of information on cars for people, not opinions on social issues. That has its own section on TN. I hope that makes sense.

You can think its narrowing the point of view, but if you were reading a magazine/blog/instructions about a repair job, do you want the last 3rd of it being arguing about some random topic? Just something to think about.

I do understand if the work load for volunteers stcks up, but at least in the 3rd Gen thread, I don't see it happen as often compared to say the modified racers that 18 and overs get into arguments over. I could be wrong, but (?)
While your right in a way, its not as bad as other forums (corolla and camry forum for example), I've had to do more here in the 3rd gen forum in the past 6 months than the entire time I've been a mod over the HL forums the past few years. Not that its a ton, just far more when compared to the other generations. Tangents are pretty common here.

#10 ·
Sweeney..did I say before..tks. to you & others who try & do keep some sense of order on TN. Im new here, but not to online forums. 2 old/long time sites I still visit don't allow off topic/chit chat replies unrelated to current topic.

Did create extra work for mods moving replies, but slowly most members got idea & used OT forum=less hassle for mods. Most understood why freedom of speech not allowed, but a few didn't & got banned. Anyhow...

Good to get feedback from members etc. Perhaps 3rd Gen. OT forum will be a hit if it stays here & one dosen't have to switch over the TN OT general forum ? Anyhow, just following along & will abide by what ever outcome is. Tks again.

Reactions: sweeneyp
#11 ·
Good to get feedback from members etc. Perhaps 3rd Gen. OT forum will be a hit if it stays here & one dosen't have to switch over the TN OT general forum ? Anyhow, just following along & will abide by what ever outcome is.
This thread is gonna stay here, I was simply posting the link to the OT forum as a place where its the norm. This thread was made with the intention that people could post here w/ things like that if they wish.

#12 ·
I'm all for making it less difficult for the mods .

Freedom of speech is something we have to work for, and it surely isn't give. More often it is taken. Specially since it means more work. And going along the normal of todays "business as usual" and not rock the boat...We can just abide.
With technology, I don't know what the actual work is when so much is automated, or just flagged. But I have never been a Mod, and I don't know. And like the site update are things I can appreciate.

So how about when and if at the somewhat rare time someone does bring up the possible OT idea to discuss, we can mention the possible, and point them to the OT thread with a link to here from the original start point(3rd Gen car related issues thread)?

#13 ·
With technology, I don't know what the actual work is when so much is automated, or just flagged.
Beyond IP's and email's blocked in the past (either from banning or blocking particular spam heavy countries) and particular words or phrases censored out, nothing is really automated. Only time things get flagged is if other mods or members hit the report post button. Otherwise things get found by us reading/watching everything.

And like the site update are things I can appreciate.
That was done by Autoguide (forum owner), not the mods. This theme is being rolled out to all their forums.

So how about when and if at the somewhat rare time someone does bring up the possible OT idea to discuss, we can mention the possible, and point them to the OT thread with a link to here from the original start point(3rd Gen car related issues thread)?
a couple of posts in a thread isn't bad and is fine (if at that time you want to post your link, go for it), its when it goes on and becomes 1/3 of the posts of the thread is when it goes overboard.

I think your over-thinking this. If its one and done, fine, if its not, don't continue it in that thread.

This thread doesn't have to simply be redirects from other threads. Its simply meant to be a place to say whatever at anytime...not that difficult :D

#14 ·
I have a 7 month old male kitten. I started feeding him wild salmon, and ahi tuna(since I had him from 6 weeks), and finally have been getting to eat that once a day, and having the no grain/40% protein dry food he snacks on, but mostly now eating the 10% Friskies crap canned wet food. He is also outside for 2 hours a day and eating some crickets or flies he finds. Today he isn't feeling too well...Meaning he is meanowing and wanting more affection. Could this be from crickets or something? I need him to slowly only eat the quality dry food and less of the gourmet fish.

I was considering giving him BubbleBee(I have found to be of better quality vs others/larger chunk flakes when I used to eat it in college/training days)) tuna in fresh water, but not daily, and maybe canned sardines or something...Its just hard to get him off the fish, he holds out and doesn't eat at times. He is 7-8months and would like something to stick to for the 10-15+ possible years before it runs off, or stays with our family.

#16 ·
P..exactly. This is a new forum & without "new thread/title box" to grab ones attention its gonna be tough. Maybe S. can fix/maybe not ?

#18 · (Edited)
Buffo is referring to my post(not the one with the link you kindly posted, but the one you missed) regarding a new thread...Titles for specific subjects to discuss...that way you don't have to create another OT section for this current OT section already in place :)

#20 · (Edited)
3rd Gen Highlander General Chat Thread

You're not the only one. Although I think they're talking about having a "Lounge" forum where they can start new threads instead of a single chat thread.

Is that what you guys are talking about? Like the Camry and Solara Lounge?

#21 ·
Why yes! Amazing! It took 2 SuperMods!

(I'm NOT Mod Bashing! ) ;-P

This way a discussion can actually have legs and develop instead of running into a bunch of random conversations! Amazing concept!....I Knnooow (Jim Jeffries).

If everyone is reading the post at the same time, this would be a bit based on manners, basic social conversation etiquette....But people read and post globally at different intervals making a "lounge" the only way to having meaningful conversation...at least 'til a point is already peaked.

#22 ·
I'm just throwing this out as purely an observation based on forum experience, Phil, but I've tried twice before in the 2nd Gen Highlander forum--as well as a half dozen other times in other model forums--to create a Lounge forum and they all did nothing. Even a number of times when people called for it only crickets chirped once I created it. Talk about disappointing. For me to spend the time and effort to create a Highlander Lounge I'd have to see a boatload of people jump in on this thread and ask for one. Let's see what happens.

#23 · (Edited)
I actually agree with you Traildust. Just leave the 3rdGen Highlander threads that run off topic (AFTER the OP has been addressed a good chunk of times), so we can have a free discussion.

If the OP is not getting replies to the topic, I fully understand why no one wants to derail a thread. But once the general destination is reached by the thread...Don't stop the train.
Users can often toss in ideas(I certainly have before) that are around the topic, but can easily link out.

Maybe a MUST READ sticky for discussion rules is more in order? (Along with some strong suggestion to use Advanced Search before they post a repeat thread for the 3rd or 9th time). (That in of itself is off topic! but can be lumped up with the overall goal). :)

I would imagine its easy for Mods to ignore multiple threads, but it surely makes a mess for people searching to find specific info. Letting Off topics happen(responsibly) is LESS difficult to sift through than multiple threads. So saying threads that go off topic make it hard to search through is really dependent on what you want to pick on.

Reactions: TrailDust
#25 ·
If the OP is not getting replies to the topic, I fully understand why no one wants to derail a thread. But once the general destination is reached by the thread...Don't stop the train.
That one thread was stopped mainly due to the fact that you had people starting to go after 1 another, not necessarily having an OT discussion, that was a simply a contributing factor. Its when it crosses that line that its generally shutdown.

#24 ·
Should have been more clear in my reply. It was based on TN main pg Forum.."Off Topic". Each thread has "title" & can reply to it, just like other forums here & others I visit. Obviously that allows to stay on topic. Anyhow...

Just following along & have better understanding of objective way you guys are putting it. Even so, without thread topic (title) & replies to each, (like C/S lounge) just confusing to me, but not first time. lol! Meantime if I understand whats being said about...

3rd gen forum topics will be allowed to continue both on/off topic up to point where mod feels intervention needed. OK, so I want need to reply "whats that got to do with OP topic", right ? :wink: Tnx.

Reactions: Phil Indeblanc
#29 ·
If you get 10 percent less MPG and it has 10% less gasoline, then you have done NOTHING towards lowering our dependence upon foreign oil..
This is a bitter pill we are forced to swallow.
The ethanol production is unsustainable..
The continued damage to our economy is unsustainable..
Sugar cane, Corn Syrup and farmers (Both Corn and Dairy) suffer.
Another classic case of corruption in plain sight: Farm and other lobbies get oodles of federal funds, while politicians in Congress and also at the state level receive their kickbacks and other monetary "gifts." All of this done purportedly to protect the environment to save us from ourselves, yet all it has done is hurt consumers in the pocketbook, produce an inferior product, and even foment unrest overseas due to grain and corn shortages.

Politicians, they're going to kill you to save you from a myth.

#30 ·
Here in Michigan, our ex-bubble headed governor, Granholm..... pushed and paraded around a big producer of ethanol and corn energy. Guess what? Just like a lot of these ethanol plants - it went bankrupt and closed the doors even with government subsidies.

The tree huggers are killing business and costing this country billions..... and putting our lives at risk with their irresponsible energy restrictions.

Screw them all and screw the EPA and most of all.... screw the LIBERAL mind. Liberalism is a disease, so we should feel sorry for these people.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rusty-weiss/2012/01/22/yes-liberalism-mental-disorder

Fill up your tank and drive where you want, when you want and buy and eat what you want as long as you are able to afford to do so.

In the same breath I would say: there is nothing wrong with conserving energy.... but energy sources should not be banned or artificially priced beyond reach by government bureaucrats or special interest groups until we ACTUALLY HAVE a proven, economical and environmentally beneficial replacement.

D-Bags like Obama and Reid who want to stop coal production, and are on record saying that energy needs to be artificially priced high so that people are squeezed into investing in high-cost, inefficient 'green' energy are homegrown terrorists in my opinion.

Oil in the ground is useless.... it serves one purpose: energy. Embrace it and use it.

Al Gore does - he loves spewing his carbon footprint all over the atmosphere as he jets from one Eco-quack speech to another.

#31 ·
You really need to stop watching Fox Entertainment. Notice I didn't say News...Because it's NOT News. They even admitted it in court.

Come to the North East some time...and I'll show you several THOUSAND lakes that are DEAD because of Acid rain caused by Coal burning plants. 24,000 people EVERY YEAR DIE from the mining and production and the pollution of Coal plants. Those are FACTS that even the Coal industry doesn't dispute. While I do agree the EPA may have overstepped their original mandate which was established by that real liberal President Nixon. But I don't know about you..but I like breathing clean air..and drinking clean water. I remember what cities were like before the clean-air act (again signed into law by that filthy liberal President Nixon). Many cities like Boston, NYC you couldn't see the skyline because it was covered by a cloud of automobile smoke. Within less then a decade after the clean-air-act you could actually see cities skylines. Pollution from tailpipes have dropped by more then 75% from 1970 (damn that Liberal Nixon).

Al Gore does - he loves spewing his carbon footprint all over the atmosphere as he jets from one Eco-quack speech to another.
I agree Al Gore is not a very good example of how to be Green. George W. owns a very Green house in Texas. He wasn't good on Green policies...but he at least did it himself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.