Google Maps and navigation can't be heard - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By blong579

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Google Maps and navigation can't be heard

Anyone else having that problem? I always use my phone for navigation because google has the most up to date maps. For some reason I cant hear the navigation audio over the bluetooth or through my phone. I have no problem connecting all the other audio ie music and telephone.

I have played with all my settings with no luck.

Ideas?

btw: my phone is an android s5

Last edited by quiksheit; 09-08-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Works for me on a 2013 MotoX.

Audio Source has to be related to a Bluetooth audio activity for me to hear the Google Maps Audio instructions.

i.e. - If I play Pandora through the Headunit App or music through the Bluetooth Audio source, then I hear Google Maps Audio instructions in the background.

If I'm playing FM radio or other non-Bluetooth audio source, then no dice.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM
New TN User

while nav is on goto setting on google maps, theres option for bluetooth enable it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 09:38 PM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
If the above doesn't help, what I found helpful is disconnecting the phone completely from the HUnit, then reconnect ALL.

I have this happen often. Now every time I text with the phone I get it to do a Private call and interrupt the stereo. Its either not working or working in areas I didn't think it needed to work. Since I use voice to dictate text it locks out other audio.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jung5864 View Post
Works for me on a 2013 MotoX.

Audio Source has to be related to a Bluetooth audio activity for me to hear the Google Maps Audio instructions.

i.e. - If I play Pandora through the Headunit App or music through the Bluetooth Audio source, then I hear Google Maps Audio instructions in the background.

If I'm playing FM radio or other non-Bluetooth audio source, then no dice.
This is correct. Thanks. So I guess that means I can't listen to the radio while I use my phone navigation...That's pretty weak.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Agreed. It does suck which I can't hear google map while listening FM or XM. My previous Nissan Rogue has no problem with this. Once BT is connected it will play the direction in background regardless what audio source you are playing.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
My '09 Fit with nav could handle t his simple task. The HL with nav is the only vehicle with factory nav that I am aware of with this glaring deficiency.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-14-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the confirmation everyone. While we are busy picking on them, my 07 BMW also handled the task of bluetooth navigation voice over radio while listening to FM. Toyota should look into this. It seems like a relatively small software issue.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Old HT User

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
From the technical perspective, I am really curious how the other cars have this function implemented.
Map navigation is the same as spotify or pandora or slacker or tunein or youtube or any other "media" labeled sound (not phone). In order for this sound to come through your speakers, BT has to be the source on your headunit. Does your home stereo play FM and CD sound at the same time? 99.9% of people will answer "no" here. Then why would your car be any different?

Speculating: Older / other vehicles with a more simple media setup might not have as big of a differentiator for various sound sources whereas BT connection is considered "global" or "always on" and you can just change the sources between fm / am / cd. In this case the BT connection is as simple as using the BT protocol to pass the data over to the headunit vs toyota entune that actually integrates with your phone by syncing the data, connecting certain apps that exist in the car, and continuously exchanging information.
tl;dr - entune is too integrated with your phone to be able to pass media sound with all the sources.

15 HL XLE 'tude black - Parada Spec X 275x45R20 - 25% tint - extended chrome removal - 5k HIDs - Ultinon LED fogs - Curt 4 pin - loc/MRX-M110/SWR12D4
post #10 of 13 Old 09-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I use Waze which is owned by google and shares info between the 2 apps. In waze you have the option in settings to play through your phones speakers. So you can be listening to FM and you will hear directions through your phones speakers. I prefer waze to google maps but they dont seem to be as different as they once was.
funman1, jparf and kiseliok like this.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Old HT User

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
I use waze 99% of the time as well, but when I travel outside of the familiar area I usually run google navigation in the background, just to make sure waze is not lying to me. It screwed me over a couple of times before and I was not a fan. I do hope google eventually updates waze interface / maps while leaving all the feature alone...

15 HL XLE 'tude black - Parada Spec X 275x45R20 - 25% tint - extended chrome removal - 5k HIDs - Ultinon LED fogs - Curt 4 pin - loc/MRX-M110/SWR12D4
post #12 of 13 Old 06-26-2016, 08:04 PM
New TN User

Found that in the google maps app on iPhone. Go to settings. Navigation settings. Select "Play as Bluetooth phone call".
The Following User Says Thank You to Beakeagles For This Useful Post:
benjamming (06-28-2016)
post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Arrow View Post
My '09 Fit with nav could handle t his simple task. The HL with nav is the only vehicle with factory nav that I am aware of with this glaring deficiency.
@bent arrow - gotta call you out - we have a 2011 fit with navi and it (also) does not have bluetooth - so this is a separate issue OP is mentioning. You are hearing audio on the fit through the line in or USB connection - OP is talking about bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+)