Toyota Nation Forum banner

2017 8 Spd Tranny ECU/TCU Program Update Available

93K views 319 replies 85 participants last post by  Bobbolew 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm also a moderator on SiennaChat, another AutoGuide Toyota forum. There was a small number of our members reporting poor throttle response and shift performance of the new 2GR engine and 8 spd. It took some research, but I found a set of Tech Service Bulletins for both the Sienna and Highlander that address this and thought I'd share. Hope this helps!

T-SB-0194-17 (Highlander & Hybrid) http://www.mediafire.com/file/amzr4h2hkczb8m8/T-SB-0194-17_Highlander_2017_8spd_trans.pdf

#11 ·
I doubt dealer tech would do, unless customer was complaining about issues listed in tsb. It does change oem running program & label (legally required) when flash done. Why some do/some dont, good Q ? Very possible when oem pcm 1st programmed, glitch occured. Anyhow, hopefully for those involved this flash/pcm update does correct issues. Good luck.

#12 ·
A few more details:

So... While the Highlander was all new in 2014, the Sienna has soldered on since 2011 with a series of refreshes. The interior was redone in 2015, and for 2017 we have the new Atkinson-capable valve train version of the 2GR-FE engine and the all-new UA80E/F 8 speed tranny. While I'd say about 85-90% of the people on our board love the new powertrain, there has been a very vocal minority with severe complaints. Enough to take it seriously. The complaints were common - the feeling of having to mash the pedal, higher than logical rpm shifts, etc. Why not all vehicles? I don't think we'll ever know. It's quite possible that it could be isolated to a certain production period, but as most owners haven't shared build date, I can't draw a conclusion.

Info on a Canadian TSB surfaced first, and I was able to find a corresponding US bulletin within days. For Canada, the TSB issued for the Sienna was T-TCI-4506. So this would be the Canadian counterpart to the US release of T-SB-0187-18. Being a Sienna owner and moderator, that was my main concern.

Very recently a question came up on our board about the Highlander drivetrain. Being near identical, why weren't you guys complaining? I searching this board but didn't find much. Either you guys are more forgiving, or the incidence of bad vehicles was less. But sure enough, I was able to get my hands on T-SB-0194-17. And from your comments, the problems are inherent in the Highlander as well. You guys are apparently just stoics?? I'm sure there is a Canadian counterpart, but I don't have it yet.

#14 ·
Very recently a question came up on our board about the Highlander drivetrain. Being near identical, why weren't you guys complaining? I searching this board but didn't find much. Either you guys are more forgiving, or the incidence of bad vehicles was less. But sure enough, I was able to get my hands on T-SB-0194-17. And from your comments, the problems are inherent in the Highlander as well. You guys are apparently just stoics?? ...
Maybe there are more Siennas sold than Highlanders, so you hear more from the Siennas owners first?

BTW, how does one search for TSBs ? I don't seem to see them on Toyota website?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
I wonder if the update changes fuel economy, meaning that there are regulatory ramifications to making the modification standard. Therefore, they will only do it if the customer complains about it. I'll be very curious to see what people's before-and-after experiences are. Perhaps, people could do smartphone video comparisons of the tachometer during acceleration.

I'd also be curious to know whether dealerships or even the distributors are doing the update to cars that haven't been sold yet so the they behave differently during test drives. That would seal the deal for me.

#16 ·
Several Sienna owners have had the reflash done, and the comments have been very positive.

One poster: "Success!! Huge difference. Power is much more pronounced in the low range. Wife is happy again. If you haven't had it done yet, don't waste time. Get it done."

#18 ·
I feel stupid asking this, but how do you read your VIN# to know if the update applies to your HL? The bulletin says that the update applies to vehicles produced before a specific list of VIN numbers, but how are they read?

I've noticed that at times it seems like our HL really revs up before shifting, but I assumed it was the way it was supposed to be. Now I'm not so sure. On the other hand our vehicle was only built in the last couple of months (I think), so perhaps it already has the update in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
It looks like the last six digits as in the production change at TMMI West AWD Start&Stop VIN 5TDJZRFH#HS395528 is after my VIN 5TDJZRFH4HS365___. If this is a production change then we really shouldn't have to ask for it or explain why we need it. I'll be going in for my 10K soon so we'll see.

#21 ·
My vehicle appears to be eligible for the TSB based on the VIN.

However, it seems to run ok at present, although I to not seem to get the 26 mpg highway per the window sticker.

The first part of the TSB says:

1. Does the vehicle exhibit a lack of power, high RPM shift point at the 2 – 3 shift, or hesitation in
low gears?
 YES – Continue to step 2.
 NO – This bulletin does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis using the applicable Repair Manual.

I am not an expert on what a HL should drive like... How do I know if I need this fix(?)... seems ok to me except for gas mileage.

Ideas welcome.

#38 ·
FWIW..Current wording on this TSB dosen't indicate it will automatically be done. Based on my past exp. with toyo. before svc done, SA told me what updates were listed for my HL at the time. From previous updates/tsb with my fmc vehicles...Its possible updates from toyo. to running program are done before HL leaves plant, if not, will be done by dealer tech. before new vehicle sold. Also possible a new TSB could surface updating current one listed here. Anyhow, reports should be coming soon.

#31 ·
Sorry.... Behind in my reading.

TeesHigh posted to one of two threads on SiennaChat that dealt with 2017 drivability concerns: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/40-general-discussion/37698-2017-transmission-update.html

This other thread was in the Test Drive section: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/23-...9-2017-sienna-poor-performance-vs-2013-a.html There is some good info in this thread also, and a bit of bickering!

But as you can see, we really did have two camps: I love it / I hate it...

Concerning TSB's: These are not recalls - they are factory to distributor/dealer communications, and as such, they are generally not available to the public. After the factory pays out enough and builds a database on common issues, they publish these as an aid to curb warranty costs. TIS subscribers get early access. 'Friends' of TIS subscribers get them if they ask politely! I try to keep up with things, but it isn't always easy. Especially in a case like this where it seems you are attempting to chase down a ghost that may or might not be real.

Most mechanical-issue TSB's are only applied for free during the original 3/36 warranty or to those that hold extended warranty's. This one is interesting, as it does impact the Federal Emissions Warranty and so the terms are extended. I would think that any action that changes shift points and reduces high rpm operation would also benefit fuel economy.

#32 · (Edited)
Very interesting. I have definitely been curious about the high revs in 2nd gear and the ever so slight hesitation. This makes me feel a lot better. I just wish Toyota would have communicated this. I will be asking for this at my 1000 mile checkup in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#39 ·
As for the update, with the limited drive home, I can't tell the difference between power and eco now
Between now and my scheduled 1st check-up I hope to have a better feel on a noticeable difference between the two(power/eco). As it is now, even before reading these type threads, I know I could feel a difference between eco and power mode. I realize for most this is not rocket science but for the life of me I am trying to understand the best way to test if this TSB would benefit our 2017 with 1000 miles....just unsure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.