Toyota Nation Forum banner

2014-2017 Power Back Door/Latch Inoperative TSB

15K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  little Mel 
#1 ·
I recently heard of a Sienna owner with a backdoor lockup. Any Highlander owners?

TSB 0232-17, dated July 3, 2017.

Applicable to some 3rd Generation Highlander & Sienna vehicles equipped with a Power Back Door (PBD) - may exhibit a condition in which the back door latch does not release and the PBD cannot be opened from any switch (IP, key, back door), with one or both of the following conditions:
Excessive force required to operate the manual back door latch release lever
DTC B2250 present
The Repair Procedure includes replacing the lock/latch assembly.

I'll get it posted when I have some time....

EDIT: Added TSB image.....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/37ylrp13b6cs3ig/T-SB-0232-17_Power_Back_Door_Latch.pdf

Reactions: dchobo
#4 ·
I recently heard of a Sienna owner with a backdoor lockup. Any Highlander owners?

TSB 0232-17, dated July 3, 2017.

Applicable to some 3rd Generation Highlander & Sienna vehicles equipped with a Power Back Door (PBD) - may exhibit a condition in which the back door latch does not release and the PBD cannot be opened from any switch (IP, key, back door), with one or both of the following conditions:
Excessive force required to operate the manual back door latch release lever
DTC B2250 present
The Repair Procedure includes replacing the lock/latch assembly.

I'll get it posted when I have some time....

EDIT: Added TSB image.....

T-SB-0232-17 Power Back Door Latch

2016 Highlander same problem. Latch would go through complete cycle but not release. Found a Youtube video with a working latch to see how everything moved, where the release trip lever was. Used a small screwdriver to push lever to the left, it unlatched. Removed latch. Arm that pushes the trip lever to release was bent, going beside the trip instead of connecting. Probably something in the jam the last time it closed. Bent the lever back so it contacts correctly and reinstalled. Canceled the new latch I ordered. Dealer quoted $930 to replace. Online latch I canceled was $280. Youtube video is
Title is "2011-2017 Toyota Highlander and Sienna Rear Hatch will not Open" Shows where the trip lever is.

#5 ·
Sorry, I'm new at this, posted in wrong place first time.
2016 Highlander same problem. Latch would go through complete cycle but not release. Found a Youtube video with a working latch to see how everything moved, where the release trip lever was. Used a small screwdriver to push lever to the left, it unlatched. Removed latch. Arm that pushes the trip lever to release was bent, going beside the trip instead of connecting. Probably something in the jam the last time it closed. Bent the lever back so it contacts correctly and reinstalled. Canceled the new latch I ordered. Dealer quoted $930 to replace. Online latch I canceled was $280. Youtube video Title is "2011-2017 Toyota Highlander and Sienna Rear Hatch will not Open" Shows where the trip lever is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.