Prices Paid and Possible Deals Discussion - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 1867 Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM
New NV User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowLabPup View Post
I totally disagree.

I got a Truecar certificate, went to the dealer and his price was $2000 over the certificate. When I called Truecar back they said that their certifcate is only good for cars in stock. so good luck getting highlander platinum with the options you want.

Now Let me remind you that my initial question was not about Truecar or if it is the best of the deals, but if it is a good deal

Now guess what "interwebs dude", TRUECAR STILL SUCKS and doesn't honor their Price.

If you read through the boards I got a dealer stock awd plt for 41300 + tax total otd premium floor mats body side molding remote start aftermarket door edgegurds and the protectors behind the handles and dealer window tint front two windows and the car came with bridgestones ( not sure if this was changed or stock) still hear a lot coming with Toyos.

So with exception of hitch almost identical vehicals this is why I am saying what I am. Yes it seems to be a fair deal. Yes I think you can do better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@Biohazzard - I just realized why my True Car prices weren't jiving with YLP's. He is in Florida where Toyota dealers get their cars from SET or Southeast Toyota, one of the two privately owned distributors in the US for Toyota. The other is GST or Gulf States Toyota. Their pricing structures are different than the corporate owned distributors and they offer PIO's (Port Installed Options) not available in other markets; the Drop Hitch Receiver for example. SET is a FOR PROFIT entity(and does very, very well btw)and so it makes sense that YLP will have trouble getting the same pricing as you or I got.
post #138 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyHighFan View Post
@Biohazzard - I just realized why my True Car prices weren't jiving with YLP's. He is in Florida where Toyota dealers get their cars from SET or Southeast Toyota, one of the two privately owned distributors in the US for Toyota. The other is GST or Gulf States Toyota. Their pricing structures are different than the corporate owned distributors and they offer PIO's (Port Installed Options) not available in other markets; the Drop Hitch Receiver for example. SET is a FOR PROFIT entity(and does very, very well btw)and so it makes sense that YLP will have trouble getting the same pricing as you or I got.

You are absolutely correct sir. and just an update n Truecar pricing, this is the email I got back from one of the dealers "HL Platinums are extremely rare. I wouldn't be able to get a platinum at TrueCar pricing, would you consider a really nice XLE loaded"

Costco auto discount program was even higher $45,875, so I don't have no other option but to take the $45,336.

Thank you both gentlmen for your feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Official TN Member

YLP, one thing to consider. If you could do without the Panoramic Moon Roof, Heated Rear Captain's Chairs and Steering wheel, you could order the vehicle with the Driver Tech Package alone and save $1.500 which is what I did. In my mind, $1.500 is considerable green for 3 options I can really live without. Best of Luck and enjoy your new Highlander!
post #140 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm considering leasing this car but have never leased before. One of the things I don't like is that it's hard to get transparency into the monthly payments. Here is a quote I received from a local dealer in the NYC metro area. I have no idea if the lease is a good deal or not.

This is for a AWD Limited, with no other options specified and no haggling as of yet.

Purchase price would be $40,050 + tax. (assuming i could knock a few hundred more off)

For a 36/12k lease, I was quoted a monthly payment of $570 with $1800 down, or $500 with $4100 down- inclusive of all taxes, fees, etc.

Thoughts?
post #141 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
You need to separate the "deal" from the "lease". Negotiate your price, regardless of how it's financed.

As far as the payments, a lease consists of several parts. The term, the mileage, the amount being financed, and the interest rate. The amount being financed is the difference between the down payment and the "lease end" amount of the vehicle. The difference between the two monthly values you give is likely due entirely to the difference between the down payment amounts. In the $500/month situation, you're financing $2300 less than in the lower down payment case. The $70/month (* 36 months) = $2520, which works out to about a 3% interest (if my math is correct).

To summarize... Negotiate your purchase price first. Determine whether that's a good deal. Then work on the financing/leasing package. If you're going through Toyota directly, you may not have much negotiating power (at least, you don't seem to up here). But your two options are basically equivalent. It's just a question of how much you want to put down upfront. Neither one is better or worse. Just a question of paying on it per month and having the extra $2300 in the bank, or paying less per month.

Clint
post #142 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
New TN User

Quote:
YLP, one thing to consider. If you could do without the Panoramic Moon Roof, Heated Rear Captain's Chairs and Steering wheel, you could order the vehicle with the Driver Tech Package alone and save $1.500 which is what I did. In my mind, $1.500 is considerable green for 3 options I can really live without. Best of Luck and enjoy your new Highlander!
This is what I thought at first, but my wife pushed me to get the Panoramic moonroof coz she thought our 4 year old would ike it.

Boy, was she right... And not just our son, we too love it! And none of us are big on a moonroof to begin with!!

You must see the panoramic moonroof in person before deciding either way...
post #143 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Official TN Member

My son's 23 y/o and a graduating senior at Pitt in 3 weeks. I'm sure he'd like it too, but not enough for me to fork over another $1,500 for it. lol! My current 2010 Highlander SE has a regular one. I don't think I've ever had the shade slid open even. lol Glad you're enjoying yours!
post #144 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 02:36 PM
New NV User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Purchase price seems hi. Lease price seems outrageous is that a 36 month lease ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
post #145 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 PM
New TN User

Quote:
My son's 23 y/o and a graduating senior at Pitt in 3 weeks. I'm sure he'd like it too, but not enough for me to fork over another $1,500 for it. lol! My current 2010 Highlander SE has a regular one. I don't think I've ever had the shade slid open even. lol Glad you're enjoying yours!
I agree with you that here in Florida we don't need no Heated steering wheel and heated second row
But I agree with AarVee, Moonroof is a nice option to have. In my case the difference is only $1075.
post #146 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowLabPup View Post
I agree with you that here in Florida we don't need no Heated steering wheel and heated second row
But I agree with AarVee, Moonroof is a nice option to have. In my case the difference is only $1075.
Around here, the heated steering wheel and heated 2nd row seats were major selling points for me over a number of other vehicles...

Clint
post #147 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeufeld View Post
Around here, the heated steering wheel and heated 2nd row seats were major selling points for me over a number of other vehicles...

I'm in NJ, and the heated steering wheel has been quite handy in this prolonged winter! The 2nd row heated seats are useless for us for the time being though, because my kid sits in his booster seat!
post #148 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I'm considering leasing this car but have never leased before. One of the things I don't like is that it's hard to get transparency into the monthly payments. Here is a quote I received from a local dealer in the NYC metro area. I have no idea if the lease is a good deal or not.

This is for a AWD Limited, with no other options specified and no haggling as of yet.

Purchase price would be $40,050 + tax. (assuming i could knock a few hundred more off)

For a 36/12k lease, I was quoted a monthly payment of $570 with $1800 down, or $500 with $4100 down- inclusive of all taxes, fees, etc.

Thoughts?
Having leased in the past as well as purchased in the past and present, I'm curious as to what your motivation is for leasing, i.e. when you say you're considering it. (I also used to sell Toyota's, be a Toyota service advisor and worked for Toyota Financial Services)

As mentioned you negotiate the price of the vehicle as you would if you were purchasing it. The dealer already has access to the residual value of the vehicle (what they expect it will be worth at the end of your lease) and the payments are based on the difference between the purchase price and residual value.

Depending on the amount of miles you can buy your miles ahead of time (reflected in your monthly payment), either 10k, 12k, or 15k.

Last edited by JMSinMD; 04-10-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #149 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
When I used to sell about 10 years back, Edmunds.com was the most accurate in terms of pricing invoice and MSRP. In addition in the Maryland area we have Laurel Toyota (Carmax Toyota) who sells based on volume so whereas most dealers would sell 100-120 cars a month they would sell 600. Between those 2 sites (Edmunds/Carmax Toyota) you should be able to figure out what a fair purchase price is.

BTW buying a car is simple. Just make sure you remain in the drivers seat. See the steps below, do not progress until each one is complete.
1. Purchase price (see above)
2. Trade in (if you don't want to sell on own)
3. Financing (check with your bank, online banks, TFS, etc to find out what's available, know your credit score ahead of time)
4. Payments are a result of all of the above, so nothing to negotiate.

Last edited by JMSinMD; 04-10-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #150 of 1867 Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
Having leased in the past as well as purchased in the past and present, I'm curious as to what your motivation is for leasing, i.e. when you say you're considering it. (I also used to sell Toyota's, be a Toyota service advisor and worked for Toyota Financial Services)

As mentioned you negotiate the price of the vehicle as you would if you were purchasing it. The dealer already has access to the residual value of the vehicle (what they expect it will be worth at the end of your lease) and the payments are based on the difference between the purchase price and residual value.

Depending on the amount of miles you can buy your miles ahead of time (reflected in your monthly payment), either 10k, 12k, or 15k.
My main motivation is being able to save on how much cash I'm putting up front and still have a monthly payment I'm comfortable with. I'd actually rather purchase, but in order to get a monthly payment in that same range, I need to put up an additional $10k in addition to the trade in. I've never leased before though and am having some trouble getting comfortable with it. I understand the pros and cons, but at this point, for certain reasons, having $10k the cash on hand right now is more valuable to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+)