Prices Paid and Possible Deals Discussion - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

305Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 1959 Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouG View Post
Hi everyone, here to update my purchase. Just came back from the dealer - ordered a HL Limited w/ carpeted floor mats as the only option. Color is Alumina Jade Metallic over Almond leather interior. MSRP is $42,185, selling price is $38,237. Total price OTD is $41,314, which includes 7% sales tax with the remainder being BS title, doc and electronic filing fees . I dealt with the sales manager via email for two days and test drove the vehicle three weeks ago. Total time spent in the showroom signing paperwork was 20 minutes, and that included my two kids running aimlessly throughout the showroom floor. Next order of business is to decide on an extended warranty and to shop it around (I haven't yet searched the forum for sales sources, but I figure I've got 6-8 weeks until the vehicle arrives for that to happen.

Thoughts and comments are much appreciated.....
Congrats! Looks like a great price! Please share where you purchased or PM me if you prefer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1959 Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwheezy View Post
2014 Limited AWD, Blizzard Pearl w/Black Interior
Rear Bumper Applique and floor mats
Paid 44,500 OTD

I think I could have held out for a better price. At the time we were shopping there were only 2 Blizzard Pearls w/Black interior in the Bay Area.

Hi erwheezy,

If I may ask you where did you buy yours from in the Bay Area. All the dealers I talked to are NOT willing to budge much from the MSRP, I'm looking for a Blizzard Pearl w/Almond Interior, Rear Bumper Protector (not Applique) and Remote Starter. No one seems to have the remote starter option but they can order at the same time. they (Marine Toyota, Dublin Toyota, Livermore Toyota, Toyota 101 etc) are telling me that they will go only $500 below MSRP. I'm not buying at this price and walk but they don't budge.

Thanks
post #33 of 1959 Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarVee View Post
Hi all,

I'm a first time poster - I've learned a lot from this forum, and I hope this information helps others! I put a deposit yesterday - taking delivery in a week. Have been lusting over the 2014 since it was announced in NY Auto Show early 2013 - really looking forward to finally driving it :-)

Trim: 2014 Highlander Limited Platinum AWD. Moulin Rouge Mica with Black interiors.
Accessories: Running board, glass break sensor / alarm, remote engine start, carpet floor mat & carper cargo mat, body side molding, alloy wheel locks.

MSRP: $46,362
Invoice: $41,839
My cost: $42,852 + $75 dealer fee = $42,927 (about $1,100 over invoice)
(all above incl. destination charges)

With NJ tax, DMV fee, etc, it is coming to a ground total of around $46,300.

PS1: I went through Costco's car buying program. Got the Costco membership just for this!

PS2: I live in Jersey City, but am buying the HL from Queens (NYC) because I am getting the best price there. Plus, they were the only ones in the tri-state area with the colors I wanted in Limited Platinum!
Hey Aarvee - Great deal! I'm in Hoboken and Costco told me to go to Lee's in Brooklyn. Lee's said they don't offer the Costco buying program with the new HL. Which Queens dealership participates in this?
Can't wait to finally purchase the Limited Platinum this month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Official TN Member

I'm getting Moulin Rouge Limited Platinum for $200 over invoice from a dealer in Salt Lake City Utah. When I came home from the dealer, the price didn't seem to add up -- it was about $1000 too high based on the factory invoice prices I was seeing on the internet. Then I checked truecar.com and they mentioned that Toyota charges dealers in Utah a $973 "Regional Ad Fee" (which is apparently a legitimate fee that truecar.com includes in their invoice price). Not sure if it's the same in other parts of the country.

With the all-weather floor mats, I'm paying $41,973. I'll confirm all of the numbers when the car arrives this week. FYI, I came to the dealer through the internet -- I think it might have even been from the toyota.com website. But the price they're giving me is the "Costco" price (I didn't actually use the Costco buying service, even though I'm a member). The nice thing about dealing with the internet sales people is there's no haggling. On the other hand, their trade-in price on my old car was a little low so I sold it myself for $3k more than they were offering.

One more piece of information: I'm financing the car through Pentagon Federal Credit Union (penfed.org). Their current rates are 1.49%, 1.99% and 2.49% (36, 60, 72 months). They also offer a car buying service that cuts the rates to 0%, 0.74% and 1.49%. I had already worked out a price with my dealer, but I signed up for the car buying service just to get the lower loan rate. I'm going with 0.74% for 48 months.

These are the lowest lowest rates I've seen. In February, their car buying service rates were actually a bit lower: 0%, 0.49% and 0.99%. So they're ticking up a bit.
post #35 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
When people say "invoice", does that include destination, advertising, etc? Ie, is invoice everything but TTL (tax title license)?
post #36 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanders View Post
When people say "invoice", does that include destination, advertising, etc? Ie, is invoice everything but TTL (tax title license)?
I wondered the same thing. The problem is complicated by different websites including different things in their "invoice" price. I think I checked edmunds and cars.com and they did NOT include any ad fees. But truecar.com DOES include the regional ad fee. I think most/all websites include the destination charge in the invoice price. I've also heard of dealers slipping different fees into their so-called invoice price which is why I typically check online.
post #37 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:

Most dealers will be glad to print off a copy of the invoice to show you in the negotiations.

Keep in mind there is additional 2% deLer holdback and about a $1000 advertising fee. Basically what it boils down to is that you can get about another thousand off whatever the dealers is showing you as invoice price before you get down to his 2% holdback! which most dealers won't give up! especially right now.

If you look for invoice price on places like true car.com you will definitely be mislead. They show invoice at $34889 on an XLE FWD. I can guarantee you my dealer didn't lose money on my vehicle, yet he discounted it $3600 from my MSRP of $37625.

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited FWD Creme Brle w/Almond Leather
2010 Lexus ES350 Matador Red w/Parchment Leather
post #38 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb0250 View Post
Keep in mind there is additional 2% deLer holdback and about a $1000 advertising fee. Basically what it boils down to is that you can get about another thousand off whatever the dealers is showing you as invoice price before you get down to his 2% holdback! which most dealers won't give up! especially right now.
When you say that you can negotiate a thousand off the invoice price, are you talking about the $1k advertising fee? My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that this is a real fee that manufacturers charge dealers so it should probably be included in the invoice price (that the dealer pays the manufacturer). But there are other places like the hold-back where dealers can make money.

When I talked to the manager at another dealer in my area and told him I was being offered $200 over invoice, he sounded kind of shocked and said he could never beat that -- especially on a vehicle as new as the '14 Highlander. But I never know whether to trust what comes out of their mouths
post #39 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robchronos View Post
When you say that you can negotiate a thousand off the invoice price, are you talking about the $1k advertising fee? My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that this is a real fee that manufacturers charge dealers so it should probably be included in the invoice price (that the dealer pays the manufacturer). But there are other places like the hold-back where dealers can make money.

When I talked to the manager at another dealer in my area and told him I was being offered $200 over invoice, he sounded kind of shocked and said he could never beat that -- especially on a vehicle as new as the '14 Highlander. But I never know whether to trust what comes out of their mouths
If they have it in stock and they let you walk out the door, then you can trust that they're not willing to sell it at the price you're looking for. It's much harder to get a screaming deal on a brand new design like the 2014 HL, but things improve over time.

In the past, we've shopped cars hard enough that we've been told by dealers that "if the other guy will sell it to you for that price, my advice is to go buy it from them" -- so we did. But with our new HL, our hands were somewhat tied by limited availability.
post #40 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly how it works. All I know is that I got a $3600 discount off the bottom line of the MSRP and that was about $2000 less than any other local dealer would do! The only place I can figure out they could get that money without losing money, would be from the so called advertising fee. No dealer in his right mind is going to sell one of these at a loss right now and I don't know of any that is going to give up his holdback ever! There are at times factory to dealer incentives that we are not made privy to. I don't think that's the case here either. After I had negotiated the deal with a salesperson via email (not an internet salesperson) I sat down at the dealership with the dealership GSM and was told the salesperson indeed had been a little aggressive with his pricing but they would honor it. This tells me that that extra money is probably available all the time but they very rarely will give it up when a vehicle is first released. Obviously you can cut a better. Deal as the year goes on but then again, you're losing money from depreciation every day your car ages.

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited FWD Creme Brle w/Almond Leather
2010 Lexus ES350 Matador Red w/Parchment Leather
post #41 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
If you go with car buying service of penfed it is my understanding you will not get as good of a price. I tried it but ended up getting low rate not using service. Hopefully I am mistaken but that was my experience with Penfed.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2015 Hyundai Sonata SE
post #42 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkland View Post
If you go with car buying service of penfed it is my understanding you will not get as good of a price. I tried it but ended up getting low rate not using service. Hopefully I am mistaken but that was my experience with Penfed.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think you're correct: the Costco price the dealer gave me was a couple of hundred dollars lower than the price provided by PenFed's car buying service. BUT the buying service can be used to knock more than 1% off your loan rate (through PenFed). Here's how:
1. Negotiate your price with the dealer.
2. Go to PenFed's car buying service and enter your info.
3. You'll be sent to a web page with a "savings certificate" which you are supposed to give to the dealer. My particular certificate was for $2519 off MSRP for the Limited Platinum AWD. But like I said, the Costco price was a better deal, so I didn't even bother printing the certificate.
4. Record the number of the certificate. When you finalize your loan with PenFed, give them the certificate number to get the lower rate (in my case, 0.74%).

It took a total of about 5 minutes to save more than 1% on my loan rate. Not a bad use of time.
post #43 of 1959 Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you're correct: the Costco price the dealer gave me was a couple of hundred dollars lower than the price provided by PenFed's car buying service. BUT the buying service can be used to knock more than 1% off your loan rate (through PenFed). Here's how:
1. Negotiate your price with the dealer.
2. Go to PenFed's car buying service and enter your info.
3. You'll be sent to a web page with a "savings certificate" which you are supposed to give to the dealer. My particular certificate was for $2519 off MSRP for the Limited Platinum AWD. But like I said, the Costco price was a better deal, so I didn't even bother printing the certificate.
4. Record the number of the certificate. When you finalize your loan with PenFed, give them the certificate number to get the lower rate (in my case, 0.74%).

It took a total of about 5 minutes to save more than 1% on my loan rate. Not a bad use of time.
Thank you for the clarification. The price I was given by Penfed was nearly $2000 more than I had previously negotiated with one dealer. I just figured it was not worth the time so I never even pursued the certificate. I guess my haste to get the deal done was to my detriment. Glad it worked for you. We actually have 2 car loans and our home mortgage with Penfed. Their no fee refinance was too good to pass up, especially at 2.75%.
post #44 of 1959 Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
baf
Official TN Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by depechek View Post
Best price right now for 2014 xle w/floormats is 34500 plus ttl. So about 600 over invoice.
Thats very similar to what I got in Houston as well. See my post above.
post #45 of 1959 Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MBX -

I didn't really do more than request an e-quote from that dealership. They came back with that quote and I tried to use it at dealerships closer to my house but none of those would come within $1000 of that price. So the trade off to get a better price and drive about 40 miles one way seemed decent.

Forgot to add: this is from a very large dealership here in MA and when we asked the salesperson why the price was so low, we were told it was because the owner purchases large quantities of inventory with cash and hence lowers the price. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

Last edited by JP_2014; 03-05-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add more info
The Following User Says Thank You to JP_2014 For This Useful Post:
MBX (03-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+)