Prices Paid and Possible Deals Discussion - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

252Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1874 Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The thing I am running into is the dealer lowballing me on my trade-in value. Trading a 2011 AWD Limited with Premium JBL, big screen Navigation, a few other options, really it is quite loaded. Kelley Blue Book and a couple of other calculators are telling me it should be around 29-30 thousand trade in....it is in very very good condition, outside, inside, leather, never any mechanical issues for me in 3 years......but dealer offered 25,500....I told him TOO LOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1874 Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWest View Post
The thing I am running into is the dealer lowballing me on my trade-in value. Trading a 2011 AWD Limited with Premium JBL, big screen Navigation, a few other options, really it is quite loaded. Kelley Blue Book and a couple of other calculators are telling me it should be around 29-30 thousand trade in....it is in very very good condition, outside, inside, leather, never any mechanical issues for me in 3 years......but dealer offered 25,500....I told him TOO LOW.
Just go to another dealer in the area if you have one. Send them the VIN# on your used vehicle, that way you don't even need to set foot on the dealership floor until you find the trade-in value your are happy with.

Brad
post #63 of 1874 Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't know if you live close to a Carmax but if so, go to them. Even the dealer I bought from said they were much more aggressive than reg dealers. Having been in the business for years myself I put a value on my 2010 Venza of $18K. The dealer tried to tell me how soft the market was so I went to Carmax and they took it for $19K. Book it out for yourself on edmunds.com and you can pretty much rest assured that Carmax will come close to or even beat it.

2016 Toyota Highlander Limited FWD Creme Brle w/Almond Leather
2010 Lexus ES350 Matador Red w/Parchment Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1874 Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb0250 View Post
Don't know if you live close to a Carmax but if so, go to them. Even the dealer I bought from said they were much more aggressive than reg dealers. Having been in the business for years myself I put a value on my 2010 Venza of $18K. The dealer tried to tell me how soft the market was so I went to Carmax and they took it for $19K. Book it out for yourself on edmunds.com and you can pretty much rest assured that Carmax will come close to or even beat it.
I went to Carmax in Laurel to purchase the 2011 Limited. My trade in was the 2004 4Runner. I searched out the trade in on several sites beforehand, was getting $16000. In the end Carmax only offerred $13,000. That was the first time I had to question Carmax's pricing. I dedided to do it. Then saw my vehicle in their pre-owned inventory a week later....knew it was mine....it was being sold for $19,000...something tells me I didn't make a very good deal with them last time.
post #65 of 1874 Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I went to Carmax in Laurel to purchase the 2011 Limited. My trade in was the 2004 4Runner. I searched out the trade in on several sites beforehand, was getting $16000. In the end Carmax only offerred $13,000. That was the first time I had to question Carmax's pricing. I dedided to do it. Then saw my vehicle in their pre-owned inventory a week later....knew it was mine....it was being sold for $19,000...something tells me I didn't make a very good deal with them last time.
Even so I am going to try and get down there just for an appraisal of my 2011 HL before I actually see a vehicle that I want....then see what they come up with.
post #66 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm wondering has anyone here negotiated with a salesperson who was not in the internet/fleet dept.? This tends to be the biggest mistake of car buying.
post #67 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif View Post
I'm wondering has anyone here negotiated with a salesperson who was not in the internet/fleet dept.? This tends to be the biggest mistake of car buying.

Word of wisdom. One of many out there, I'm sure. IMO the best way to negotiate is in person, and not with a salesperson, but with at a minimum the new vehicle sales manager. The cost of these vehicles is posted all over the internet so finding that out is no big deal. Getting close to that price is. The sales manager controls what he will sell the vehicle for. Sometimes he may have to get the GSM or dealer principal involved, but very rarely. The problem is that dealing with a salesperson and in particular an experienced salesperson, is that if they don't like the deal, or there's not enough profit in it for them, or if a similar deal has been turned down before, they may just immediately say they can't accept it or what they offered was the best they could do, or the manager said this was all I can knock off. Typical comment on a new vehicle would be that they are just so hot now that we can't keep them in stock! Have your numbers in line and don't be unrealistic. Let them make a little profit, little being the operative word. Then be prepared to walk if your not comfortable with the price. Never fall in love with a piece of metal. Yes, the last week of the month is typically the best time to negotiate a deal. Managers are under much more stress than a salesperson to meet quotas and if you walk on a reasonable deal you are much more likely to get a call from a manager that a salesperson would just pass on. Good luck to all.

post #68 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 AM
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Quote:
Word of wisdom. One of many out there, I'm sure. IMO the best way to negotiate is in person, and not with a salesperson, but with at a minimum the new vehicle sales manager. The cost of these vehicles is posted all over the internet so finding that out is no big deal. Getting close to that price is. The sales manager controls what he will sell the vehicle for. Sometimes he may have to get the GSM or dealer principal involved, but very rarely. The problem is that dealing with a salesperson and in particular an experienced salesperson, is that if they don't like the deal, or there's not enough profit in it for them, or if a similar deal has been turned down before, they may just immediately say they can't accept it or what they offered was the best they could do, or the manager said this was all I can knock off. Typical comment on a new vehicle would be that they are just so hot now that we can't keep them in stock! Have your numbers in line and don't be unrealistic. Let them make a little profit, little being the operative word. Then be prepared to walk if your not comfortable with the price. Never fall in love with a piece of metal. Yes, the last week of the month is typically the best time to negotiate a deal. Managers are under much more stress than a salesperson to meet quotas and if you walk on a reasonable deal you are much more likely to get a call from a manager that a salesperson would just pass on. Good luck to all.
Good advice! Thanks! My dad always told me, "Never want something so badly you are willing to pay any price to get it."
post #69 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFL1PgUy99 View Post
discussion is great, but let's keep it a minimum.
Let's get some pricing of What everyone has paid for their HL and not what they are trying to get it for. This thread is for "Prices Paid for 2014's".
Enjoy!!!!
Pricing info is great but people need to know more than what their neighbors paid! They also need to know how they did it and possibly what other vehicles they considered. If you're so intent on keeping this just to pricing info you may want to copy and paste all pricing info from this thread into another one and asking this forums moderator to make it a sticky. But, trying to limit a discussion to just your topic is an exercise in futility IMO. Just as limiting a thread on mods might be. It starts out listing your mods and then others listing theirs and then others wanting to know how they did it or what they paid or where they purchased from. It just envolves and that makes for a good board IMO.

post #70 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Pricing info is great but people need to know more than what their neighbors paid! They also need to know how they did it and possibly what other vehicles they considered. If you're so intent on keeping this just to pricing info you may want to copy and paste all pricing info from this thread into another one and asking this forums moderator to make it a sticky. But, trying to limit a discussion to just your topic is an exercise in futility IMO. Just as limiting a thread on mods might be. It starts out listing your mods and then others listing theirs and then others wanting to know how they did it or what they paid or where they purchased from. It just envolves and that makes for a good board IMO.
I will update the OP to add any tips when making the purchase.
Great discussions and let's keep it rolling for more 2014 HL owners!~!

post #71 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Every car that I purchased over the past 15 years has been already negotiated before I step on the lot. In addition to that, the prices have been lower than almost anyone else pays, and by a lot. Negotiating pricing with internet sales people makes car buying less stressful.

Good tip about not getting too emotional on the lot, lgb. Go fall in love with a car by walking on the lot and test driving it. If you love it, go back home and call/email the salesperson who helped you (because you at least want to give him a shot of earning your biz) and also call/email the internet dept of all dealers within a 50 mile radius. If you love to haggle, the pricing from internet depts tend to be negotiable.

Never negotiate on the lot. After the test drive the salesperson will try to get you into the store to 'work out some numbers'. Don't do this. Thank him for the test drive and tell him that you have to get home. Then negotiate from home.
post #72 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Resident Nutcase

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,426 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Prices Paid 2014 Discussion

Discussion portion of this thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/33...aid-2014s.html

Since a fuss was made about discussions in another thread, this will be the "discussion" thread for talking about prices paid. The other thread will be for facts/numbers only.

I will be moving the old posts over here.

Thanks

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited

Last edited by sweeneyp; 03-13-2014 at 03:27 PM.
post #73 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Official TN Member

I am surprised there is not more discussion about your trade-in values. THAT is where dealers make their most money, not on the sale of the new vehicles. That is where they can lowball you, even slightly, and still pocket a grand or two that could have been "shared" with you instead, and lowered your taxable purchase price too (at least for MD don't know about all states).
post #74 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I am surprised there is not more discussion about your trade-in values. THAT is where dealers make their most money, not on the sale of the new vehicles. That is where they can lowball you, even slightly, and still pocket a grand or two that could have been "shared" with you instead, and lowered your taxable purchase price too (at least for MD don't know about all states).
That's the reason why a trade in should never even be brought up until you have negotiated your best price on the new one. They love to dwell on payments and trade differences. The idea is to get you off of the main objective which is to get the lowest price possible. The best thing to do when they start talking about payments is to tell them you haven't decided how you are going to pay for it and would appreciate just getting a price on the vehicle. Don't be deterred from your main objective. If the salesperson persist in approaching the deal from a perspective you don't want, ask to speak with a manager. Above all else, be prepared to negotiate. Know what the value of your vehicle is before walking into the dealership. Know how much your payments will be by using an auto loan calculator you can find anywhere on the net. Have your own financing arranged if needed before entering the negotiation stage. Last but not least, be realistic when negotiating. To expect a dealer to take a loss on a vehicle is just plain stupid IMO.

post #75 of 1874 Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
That's the reason why a trade in should never even be brought up until you have negotiated your best price on the new one. They love to dwell on payments and trade differences. The idea is to get you off of the main objective which is to get the lowest price possible. The best thing to do when they start talking about payments is to tell them you haven't decided how you are going to pay for it and would appreciate just getting a price on the vehicle. Don't be deterred from your main objective. If the salesperson persist in approaching the deal from a perspective you don't want, ask to speak with a manager. Above all else, be prepared to negotiate. Know what the value of your vehicle is before walking into the dealership. Know how much your payments will be by using an auto loan calculator you can find anywhere on the net. Have your own financing arranged if needed before entering the negotiation stage. Last but not least, be realistic when negotiating. To expect a dealer to take a loss on a vehicle is just plain stupid IMO.
Also, keep in mind that many dealers can make a decent profit even if the selling price is close to the cost of the vehicle. Really no need to be paying way above the actual cost. They can even be sold below cost at a profit under certain conditions, like if Toyota is offering a rebate and other things. Just keep that in mind too while negotiating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014+)