Toyota Nation Forum banner

Scion is dead...

3K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  cb91710 
#1 ·
Toyota announced today they are killing off the Scion brand this year and will bring the cars under the Toyota brand, except for the tC which will be discontinued.

How this relates to the Corolla is this... I wonder if they will rename the iM as the Corolla wagon, which is essentially what it is, or leave it as the iM...? Or something totally different? Hmmm...

#2 ·
#40 ·
Articles about what happened:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/02/03/toyota-scion-brand/79747406/
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10904758/toyota-scion-brand-death-of-youth-fun

This is interesting, I'd assume they'd rebrand the iM as a Corolla, because it's the same car really. Why make a new model out of it?
This does concern me... Definitely going to jump on a '16 Corolla now, as I want a 4-door with a real trunk... not a wagon or crossover.

We HAD a trunk in the Echo and Yaris, but now the Yaris is only available as a "wagon" type.

I'd hate to see the same thing happen to the Corolla... but I'm not taking any chances.
Hopefully, they will retain the Corolla and add the "Corolla-V" to the line.

#3 · (Edited)
About time and the opposite of a loss !

«Toyota» (and «Corolla») have so much more brand equity. The Scion iA is already a Toyota Yaris in Canada.
Seems they keep importing iM as a Corolla iM, Matrix, Auris or whatever, just like everywhere else and don't miss the occasion to inject just a bit more "excitement" in the brand
(even more with the addition of the C-HR as a Toyota, not a Scion).
It would be very simple marketing, albeit a bit risky for name equity during the transition.

Like Saturn at a time (remember those available leopard pattern roof rails...) I think Scion assume youngsters would love store-bought "tuning".
Most people want their car as is since they chose it and tuners only care for real home made personalize improvement.
Maybe they had the same marketing gurus... Funny, the only relative success was the xB... with older people !

#4 ·
Looks like we are gonna get that Matrix after all! Unless they do decide to brand it as a corolla, which is fine too. I wonder what'll happen with the iA, will it get branded as a Toyota or Mazda?

EDIT: nevermind! I guess it's likely to become a yaris

#7 ·
The iM will either be a Corolla Hatch like in Australia, an Auris like everywhere else or it could be a Matrix. It could also continue to be an iM but with a Toyota badge. As for Scion, I'm sad to see it go but I'm glad that the models offered don't have to suffer low sales just for being a Scion.

#8 ·
This is too bad. I was considering a Scion for my next car years from now. I'm surprised by this. I'm sure others who follow the business side of Toyota have seen signs of Scion having bad sales. They are great cars. Sorry to see the name go.

Reactions: zythr
#15 · (Edited)
You may still considerate them... The brand is gone, not the cars !
Everywhere else, iM is a Corolla hatch (Altis), FRS is a Toyota GT-86 (or Subaru BRZ), iA is a Toyota Yaris (or Mazda2).
If Scion had maintain original products like at its beginning (xB), maybe the fuss of marketing a different brand would make sense.
But right now it is even counterproductive as the Toyota brand carries much more equity.
Marketing logic as much - if not more - than low sales probably explain the decision.
The name "Toyota" could sustain and benefit more easily for some lower volume or niche models (not that they will sell them if they loose money).
As mentioned, some don't even see the link between Scion and Toyota.

#10 ·
the corolla name carries much weight. just call it the corolla hatch. the IM name is meaningless to most anyone considering a toyota, and the Matrix name needs to stay dead, IMO.

as far as the Scion name, I will channel Eddie Murphy's Mr Robinson and say, "I'm so glad the b**ch is gone!"

the name never accomplished anything. the only cars that were received well would have done even better under the Toyota name because they hit a nerve with a certain crowd...specifically the 1st gen Xb... the badge turned more people away, imo, and some people saw Scion as a lower quality brand vs Toyota. in fact, the Scion brand was rather middling or worse in some reliability surveys.

guaranteed, the Toyota FR-S (or whatever they call it) will sell far better than the version with the Scion badge on it. Likewise, the IM will get an immediate sales boost as soon as it becomes the Corolla Hatch.

Reactions: jolly
#11 ·
guaranteed, the Toyota FR-S (or whatever they call it) will sell far better than the version with the Scion badge on it. Likewise, the IM will get an immediate sales boost as soon as it becomes the Corolla Hatch.
I think you will be 100% correct on this. Sooooooo, SOOOOO many people don't know that a Scion is basically a Toyota, it's crazy. I had a Scion, and half the people who asked what kind of car I drive would say "what's a Scion?"

The FR-S and iM (and probably the iA too) will absolutely see sales increases once they go under the Toyota badge!

#14 ·
Honestly. I'm kinda glad the brand is dead. They never really did a lot with it, and the dealer network was non existent here. I had to go to Colorado if I even wanted to look at 1 of 5 scions they had on their lot because they never sold any.

This means, I will be able to waltz down to the local Casper Toyota dealer where I am always happy to do business, and pick up a new FR-S (most likely not because winter), or the new iM without the issue of going to a dealer in another state.

From my understanding, the FRS, IA, and IM will all still be available, just with a toyota badge.

Fine by me. :grin:

#21 ·
It would be nice if they brought these models over for toyota branding.

Scion Tc = Corolla Hatch
Scion FRS = Celica

Get rid of the rest ... Scion iA and iM is already on Toyota's list of cars

#28 ·
I have no doubt that the FR-S branded as a Toyota GT86, the iM as a Yaris sedan and the iM as a Corolla HB will sell much better with the Toyota badge. The Corolla HB has been around for different generations in the past and sold well. The iM is a great car and fun to drive. The fully independent rear suspension is very nice and it has a lot of nice features. It's a 3rd gen Matrix in my mind and the Matrix was a Corolla HB. Even the owners manual said Corolla Matrix on it and the cars tallied as Corolla sales. I've long felt that Toyota needed more options for many of it's cars. The Corolla could once again be fun with the HB and even a 2 door coupe though I don't see that happening. Maybe the tC could be a Corolla XTS or GTS coupe. If not it could be the new Celica line. The CH-R is sell well and be a nice addition to the line up. Toyota makes more money than any other auto manufacturer and can afford to indulge some of their many customers. Take the money saved by shutting down Scion and build some fantastic, fun cars to add to the line. If Subaru, Honda, VW and Ford can build and sell some hot, fun cars so can Toyota. :grin:

#27 ·
Yes the CH-R will sell like ice cubes in the desert. Toyota is in desperate need of a tiny CUV, the CH-R can't get here fast enough. The concept looks pretty wild, it will definitely be more tame once it makes it to production, and I've been interested in the segment since playing with a Honda HRV, but I'd rather stay with Toyota

#29 ·
The FR-S will stay the FR-S, even with Toyota at the moment. If they can get some trim levels like they do with the 86 in Japan and other markets, it won't matter that the name didn't change.

The tC is in its final year of the current platform (6th year), so it is finishes along with the brand. Based on sales, I doubt Toyota cares to develop another small coupe right now since trucks and SUVs are selling better than their cars.

#34 ·
it would be great if we could now get the mazda 2 hatch (it would just be the toyota yaris just as the iA is a yaris sedan elsewhere). that mazda 2 hatch looks to be one of the nicest looking subcompacts around, but the U.S. didnt get it.

Reactions: Will Geronimo
#42 ·
Which is odd because the Echo was only available in sedan-format in North America, while the Yaris was primarily a hatch overseas, yet Toyota discontinued the Tercel wagon long ago.

I hear you on the popularity of the Corolla. It's been a household name (and the butt of jokes) since the 60s.
I was sad to hear of the end of the Matrix, glad to see it resurrected in the iM.

#43 · (Edited)
Corolla Tercel (who remember ?) aka Tercel aka Echo aka Yaris have always been available in both sedan and hatch for Canada, since we do buy smaller cars.
The current Yaris hatch sell half as much total in Canada vs US for only 1/10th of the population, while the Camry only manage 1/30 vs US. So ultimately the market decide.
If the US market doesn't warm up to small sedans / hatches iA and iM are thousands of times more at risk than the perennial Corolla sedan.

(Although since I think we love smaller car because of price, I'm not so sure about Toyota Canada current strategy with Yaris/Mazda2 sedan, selling them only nicely equipped thus with an entry price higher than a less equipped basic Corolla, while the Corolla is about as efficient in MPG).

iM is as close as we get to the Matrix (iMatrix ?). The European Verso would be closer in practicality, being higher like the Matrix was.

#44 ·
Don't forget the Paseo ;)

I think Toyota has pretty much nailed the price point for owning the market.
I looked into some of the competition, including Kia, and to get anything comparably equipped to the Corolla, the price is also comparable.
It's not until you start getting into the Camry - Optima comparisons that you can save enough money on the alternatives to make it "worth it"

#45 ·
Don't forget the Paseo ;)
I think Toyota has pretty much nailed the price point for owning the market.
I looked into some of the competition, including Kia, and to get anything comparably equipped to the Corolla, the price is also comparable.
It's not until you start getting into the Camry - Optima comparisons that you can save enough money on the alternatives to make it "worth it"
Ah ! The Paseo ! :smile:
Toyota builded a reputation that hasn't needed a price point for a long time... but now competition is stiffer than ever. iA/Yaris sedan is certainly not at a price point... like many Mazda products, but Corolla still is. At least it was when I bought mine two years ago. I shopped very carefully an no competition with similar equipment (and, arguably, perceived reliability and MPG) came within $1,500 of the price of my Corolla. And I wasn't specifically shopping for a Toyota.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.