Toyota Nation Forum banner

Need advice for 2015 Corolla S Plus mods!

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DjAnnexAlpha 
#1 ·
Hello guys!

I wanted to get your opinion on the ranking of the extra add-ons I want for the car. Need some answers if some of these mods are even worth my money.

Here's the list, and please rank!:

-TRD Lowering Springs/Eibach Lowering Springs
-TRD Rear Sway Bay
-TRD Oil Filter/K&N Air Filter
-TRD Air Filter/K&N Air Filter
-TRD Exhaust/Borla Exhaust
-NonStopTuning Pulley Kit

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
The only thing I wouldn't use is the K&N filter. Many recommend a dry filter instead of an oiled filter since the oil can cause problems. After having problems with this very issue on my MR2 I only use dry air filters now. If you want to improve the intake sound than I highly recommend a Takeda SRI as it looks great & sounds even better plus it uses a dry air filter! :wink:

Everything else looks great. Look at the TRD front strut brace too along with the many Ultra Racing bars. They will transform your Corolla into a car you could never believe it could be! :wink:

#5 ·
-TRD Lowering Springs/Eibach Lowering Springs
-TRD Rear Sway Bay
-TRD Oil Filter/K&N Air Filter
-TRD Air Filter/K&N Air Filter
-TRD Exhaust/Borla Exhaust
-NonStopTuning Pulley Kit
Your shopping list looks a lot like the "DD upgrade wishlist" I posted a few weeks ago.

In order, I'd do the following:

#1 ) TRD or K&N Panel Filter - First, because it's the cheapest and easiest. Five minutes to do, drop-in replacement part. I've done this to every car I've owned for the past 15+ years, usually installed within the first day or two of ownership. Having done over 600,000 kms with oiled K&N filters (across 4 cars) and I've only ever had a problem once. A few weeks after cleaning and oiling a cone filter (never happened with a drop-in panel) I started having all sorts of driveability issues... it turned out my MAF was dirty. Presumably the fault lies with me - I'm guessing I over-oiled the cone. Fifteen minutes of work, and an $8 can of sensor cleaner and all is back to 100% now. (Note to self for future filter cleaning: a little less heavy on the oil, and blot up any excess before reinstalling.)

Alternate #1 ) Short Ram Intake or relocated Cold Air Intake - Performance gains are minimal on an under-tuned engine like the 1.8L, but it sounds really nice when you floor it! More $$$, but you have to factor in how much a regular grin at full throttle is worth. :grin:

#2 ) Springs & Swaybar - The single biggest change to your driving experience of the things listed above will be the rear sway bar followed closely by the lowering springs. Also, the spring will make the car look so much better. I put these together because honestly, whether you're installing it yourself, or having a shop do it for you... once you're under the car and have everything apart, you might as well just get it done in one shot.

#3 ) Exhaust - TRD, Borla, whatever. It's a personal preference when it comes down to it. Performance gains will again be minimal but it'll sound great... I get a lot of personal satisfaction from my cars, so even if a catback doesn't turn it into a racecar, I'm happy to roll the windows down and enjoy the sounds while belting down a country road.

#4 ) Pulley - This is one that I brought up in my thread that I'd really like to see tested. If I could see solid dyno numbers on this it would be easier to suggest doing the mod or not... or when to do it. It might be further up the priority list if it contributed to a little more get-up-and-go.

One last option: Wheel spacers. Since you didn't mention wheels or tires, I'm assuming you're sticking with the OE 17" alloy wheels. That said, 15mm spacers (when combined with your lowering springs) will place the wheels really nicely in the fenders. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.