Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tips/Advice during break-in periods?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Donabed Kopoian 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am still breaking in my Corolla S+, any tips/advice do you guys have? Beside those tips/advice in the user manuals. I'm around 4xx miles

Also, I was reading about the firmware update, do I need to do that also? Or should it be updated already?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm almost done breaking in my S+, I hope you've been easy on the throttle since you got the car. The first 500 miles or so you shouldn't take it above 4000 RPMs, this is so the rings align with the bore properly. If you're too easy on it, then there wouldn't be enough pressure. On the other hand if you push it too hard then you can end up with other issues.
Once you pass that 500 mile mark then show the engine all kinds of driving. Take it easy until everything is nice and warmed up, then accelerate at a moderate pace like 65% throttle. And other times bring the car to redline. Do accelerations both from a stop and from about 30MPH. This will get everything broken in nicely.
Once you're past 5000 miles on the odometer the car is pretty much broken in and it will be performing at its best with both acceleration and fuel efficiency.

With the firmware, if you have a smartphone then just download the entune app and set it up with your car. Connect it through bluetooth and it should prompt you to download the update. It will take a few minutes, but not long at all. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Got my car with only 10km on it. Took it out the night I picked it up, thoroughly warmed it up and using moderate to mid heavy throttle input got the RPMs up around 5000rpm with compression breaking down some hills. Babying it too much early on prevents you from seating the compression ring properly.
She now has 900km on her and I'm averaging 48mpg or 5.7l/100km. It will only improve from here. I've broken all my engines in this way and have ended up with more HP, better fuel economy, and an engine that doesn't burn oil.

Start enjoying your car! Just don't go hitting limiter until past 1000km (600mi) or so.

#4 ·
I took it on the freeway the second I drove the lot, kept the car in 4th gear, and went from 60 WOT to 80, then off throttle back to 60, then WOT back to 80, repeated that for a half-hour. Then after that, no cruise, no long trips, never stay at the same speed all the way to 1000 miles, no spinning the engine past 4000 rpms. Then after that, I let it rip.

I also changed the oil at around 135 miles just to get rid of all the break in gunk.

#5 ·
Agree with above posts: don't baby it, but don't beat on it. Get it warmed up and load the engine enough to seat the rings. It's not about RPMs; it's about load.

FWIW, I have ~12k miles now and the engine consumes no oil.

#7 ·
Funny, I've never done ANYTHING special during break in, just drove like I would any other time, and changed the oil at whatever mileage the manual stated, and I've never had an engine or other major problem or oil consumption on any vehicle, and taken a few over 200k miles.

#8 ·
I just hit my 600 miles today, but before I hit around 5k rpm for a few seconds, I hope that won't harm my engine in the long run, since I drive on Freeway most of the time, and I try to go between 65mph ish.

Also is it recommend to change earlier then what my dealer told me? They say come in around 5k miles.

And is it okay to add non-oem oils such as AMSOIL, and additives, etc?

Do apologize for the noob question, rather know the answers and do it right then do it wrong.

Thanks!

#9 · (Edited)
Firstly, I seriously doubt you caused any issues by hitting the 5k rpm. You'll get a million different answers on when to change the oil the first time. Toyota says not until 10k, which is seriously long. At 5k they're not going to do much except rotate the tires. If you want to change the oil early, that's up to you but likely won't be paid for free by Toyotas free maintenance plan. I might do mine at 5k. Toyota's 0W20 has been shown to be an excellent oil and its what oil I will use. I'm sure Amsoil is fine too. Any oil in the 0-20 range is going to be synthetic and should be a good oil. To me additives are a big no, although a case could be made for some techron fuel injector cleaner in the tank every once in a while, but unless you have drivability issues I see no need.

#10 ·
Stay away from oil additives. You don't need them and most manufacturers do not recommend their use.

You'll be fine. 5k for a few seconds won't kill anything.

You can get it changed at 5k (out of your pocket) or wait until 10k. Honestly, for oil from a new engine, I did change mine at 135 miles but I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable going past 5000 with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.