Toyota Nation Forum banner

2014 Corolla fuel gauge issues

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ConnorB 
#1 ·
Filled up my car the other day at a Shell station and the auto off switch must have been broken on this pump because it never stopped running. After it appeared to be about $5.00 over than I knew it should be able to hold I stopped it and pulled the nose out and gas began to pour out if the tank. I'm sure at least 2 gallons poured out on the ground. I reported it to the clerk but of course he said it hadn't ever done that before and said it must have been my car. Well I was pissed and put the cap back on my tank and left. Now the gauge appears to be stuck on full. Does that mean the fuel gauge is damaged now? or us there a possibility that it will unstick? I will be getting in touch with that gas station if the gauge stays stuck on full. It's gone about 75 miles since it happened so I'm pretty sure it's stuck/damaged.

#2 ·
Fuel pumps have a spring(If I remember correctly) that senses a "kickback" which would let the pump know that the tank is full and to stop pumping gas. Your car might have a large amount of gas that still isn't in the tank. Drive some more and the arrow should move. If not, have it checked out.

#5 ·
I can make it a while without the arrow moving, and I like to fill it right up. i've overfilled once, and I felt like i could go forever. zero worries, it'll move.

but absolutely as said above take it to a spray car wash and clean as much as you can. Gas is horrible for the rubber on wheels, brakes, rim, paint, wax, everything.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.