Toyota Nation Forum banner

(OFFICIAL)Monkeywrench Racing supporting the 2ZR

20K views 84 replies 14 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 · (Edited)
So, this has been rumored for a while and I've posted about this a few times but now it is official! Monkeywrench Racing is going to be making aftermarket engine parts for the 2ZR-FE!!!:D

This is what it says on their mainpage's, November News:

2ZR engine parts coming by January 1, 2015
Pistons, Rods, Valves, ARP head and main studs. MWR built 2ZR engine packages available too!
So far, they only have the valve springs out but as you can see, there is a TON more to come!:thumbsup::grin:

Their Website:http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/

What do you think about this?:D

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure Monkeywrench will be developing parts for both the 6 speed manual and cvt transmissions(maybe even the 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto used in the 10th gen Corolla) since they do build transmission parts for the other cars like the 9th gen Corolla and the MR2.

#30 ·
I would love to have a bike. Mom is in the forensics field and she has seen her share of motorcycle accidents. She said and I quote:"over my dead body". Lately, since I am 22 and single, she is saying that once I give her grandchildren then I can get one, to which I reply, be careful what you wish for. To which she replies, "your wife won't let you have one either."

:crying:

#33 ·
So, since internals such as upgraded cams are going to come out, does that mean a rev limit of 8,000RPM?:D(With a tune, new ECU, and other internals ofcourse) The valve springs that are already released says in the description that they are capable of withstanding 8,500RPM!

#40 ·
Well, the TRD Group A 4AGE engine put into Takumi's 86 did rev all the way up to 11,000RPM so there is a reason for it being so large. If we were to increase our engines to say 8,500-9,000RPM, then we wouldn't need a tachometer that big.:D

It would still be awesome owning a high revving Corolla! Cars these days barely go above 6k...

#62 ·
Hello there ladies and gentlemen!

It's exciting to see so much interest in the 11th generation Corollas here. We've been working hard this year on developing the 2ZR engine for the 10th and 11th generation cars and have a lot of parts available now, many more before the end of the year.

A few things:

The new 6-speed is from another planet. None of the previous generation parts will fit inside it. That said, we're working on it...

The 2ZR is a very stout engine. It needs stronger rods and pistons to handle anything beyond a low boost turbo setup but the engine's fundamentals are good. Great structure, nice cylinder head, excellent oil pan setup, strong crankshaft, etc. I don't think we'll see them spinning to 11,000rpm but 300-400hp with a turbo is very doable.

#66 · (Edited)
OUR LORD AND SENPAI IS HERE! lol

But seriously, are there going to be parts such as limited slip diffs, full exhaust systems, ECU's, etc. available? What needs to be done to the CVT transmissions in order for it to handle the higher power output? Also, how high do you think this engine can manage to rev and still make power with cams, pistons, rods, tune, etc?(I'm hoping for 8,500RPM-9,000RPM:D)

Welcome to TN and as you can see, a lot of us are excited you guys are taking an interest in the 10th and 11th gen Corollas!:thumbsup:

#67 ·
LSD for the 6-speed is in the works, it'll be a little while. We have one of those transmissions on the bench right now- not a bad unit. Shifting performance is very good.

CVTs are a bit complex; so far nobody in the aftermarket is doing anything to increase CVT torque capacity in any application. I expect it'll be fine with NA bolt-ons. Very interested to see how they do with a low boost turbo or supercharger.

Working on cams but we need to develop and produce new cam cores for this application (nobody makes them yet) so it's going to take a while. I'm hoping to get some (very expensive!) billet cams made in the meantime so we can develop the profiles and dyno test them.

With the 2ZR's bore size and cylinder head design I expect we'll be revving built NA engines to 8k, possibly higher. The oiling system looks good. We're testing a ported head now. Knife edged crankshafts are in production now.

I'm in contact with most of the major manufacturers and we're getting parts on the shelf as they become available. If you know of a product and we don't have it yet drop me a line, we'll get it added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.