Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY: 2014 2015 Corolla footwell Led (Splice into Cell charger)

16K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  raulofoside 
#1 ·
Here is DIY for those of you who might want some LEDs in the footwells

Before you start Disconnect your battery

Stuff I used:

*Thin flat head screwdriver
*3M double sided clear tape
*Blue LED strip
*wire crimpers
*black electrical tape
*phillips screwdriver

Start by removing the shift knob bracket by using the flat head wrapped in a rag to avoid scratching the paint. the piece just pops out

Remove the cup holder center panel. pop it out from each side using the flat head

Pull the piece out and you will see the connections to the SPORT AND TRACTION buttons, Unplug them.

For this part you have to plug your key in the ignition and turn it WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE. This is so you can move the shifter to (D) it will give you space to remove the next panel

keep using the flat head on all pieces. there are no screws holding the pieces.

Once you pull the piece out you will see the connectors for the USB and Cell phone charger. Unplug them

center panels removed

remove side lower foot panels Left and Right sides

there is a cover on the driver side hald by 2 phillips screws and a clip in the middle. This cover had to be removed so i can stick the LED strip

stick the LED strip on the metal part under the driver side and passenger side.

This is the 3M clear tape I used

run the wires through the back of the openings where you removed the lower side panels.

plug them to the cell charger and test for power

using the wire crimper peel off some insulation from both wires and splice the led wires.

*Once you have splice the wires use the electrical tape to seal them up.
some of you might use a different method but this one worked best for me.

Both sided lit up

See less See more
#13 ·
Lol at this old thread but it's a good one. So these are just on all the time, eh? I wonder what I'd have to wire them to so that they're only on when the headlights are on. I figured it out for a small LED in that tiny compartment in front of the shifter but it's pretty ghetto haha not really, it's just not soldered to the board...it's just twisted around into a small ball so the wires won't contact any other hot/cold spots and so it won't fall out. Like I said...ghetto.

I'd also like to put a small LED in the glovebox too which I could use these instructions to do fairly easily. Just need to find the correct source of power so that they only come on when the headlights are on.

#14 ·
Lol at this old thread but it's a good one. So these are just on all the time, eh? I wonder what I'd have to wire them to so that they're only on when the headlights are on..

I'd also like to put a small LED in the glovebox too which I could use these instructions to do fairly easily. Just need to find the correct source of power so that they only come on when the headlights are on.
I don't know how similar the Corolla wiring is to the Rav4, but here's the instructions for the Rav OEM floor lighting kit.
http://toyotapart.com/PT413-42130.pdf
These are active only when the interior lighting is on, so you have entry/exit floor lighting, but it's not on all the time when driving at night.

Of course, the power taps could be used to power the OEM kit or aftermarket.

Seems most people who install glove box lighting just tie it to the dash lighting so it's not on 24/7, but is on any time the parking lights are on. No need for a pin or magnetic switch if you avoid something too bright.

#17 ·
That's one thing I've never done, switches in 12v application. Ideally I'd like to have one own switch for all external lighting, then have it be controlled via bluetooth, doesn't seem too far fetched does it, do these run on a ballast or something?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Basically I took the circuit board out of the garage door remote and wired into the momentary switch, I T-tapped the 12v line from the windshield washer for power. I hind the circuit board inside the A-pillar for max radio transmission range. I'm tired of the original clip on remote drops onto my lap everytime I use the visor to block out the sun so I did this to get rid of it. The remote only works went the key is in the RUN position, that's why I tap into the washer fuse line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.