Toyota Nation Forum banner

How to upgrade Entune head units to navigation for less than you think!

119K views 122 replies 42 participants last post by  gforfun2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
First off, when you guys see a tutorial especially with pics, thank that person because today I got to understand how much longer it makes the process. That said, I want to help people so here goes.

You will need:
*You need a 2014, 2015, 2016? Corolla with 100149 on the faceplate. We don't yet know if the base radio only corolla can be upgraded.
*GPS antenna adapter part number 86808-02080 $35+$15 shipping trd sparks
*GPS antenna - DOES NOT have to be the OEM $250 part!!! It's available on Amazon for $19.99 and the link is further below. Its final resting spot will be behind the black bezel where your passenger airbag on/off light is. 100% functionality and its out of sight!! :rockon:
*86842-0E010 Spider cable with 6 connectors. Connects your nav unit with the Nav unit brain mounted under the radio. Best price via you dealer ( I know, I know..). Online around $65+shipping I pit 2 dealers against each other and got it for $70. You MUST have this part.
*10mm socket with extension
* HIGHLY recommend $7 interior panel trim tools from Harbor Freight
*XM not required. Obviously only get it if you want XM. You will still have the XM option on your head unit but it'll say antenna problem if you try to use it. (duh)
*VIN # from US car with nav if your unit comes from Canada. Just go to your dealer and snap a pic of it. Look for the black XM antenna on the roof of the car.

Step 1
You need a nav head unit.
As long as it says 100150 on the faceplate it should work. The actual model number from mine is 86100-02100. Other variations include model number 86100-02101. I picked mine up from a Canadian salvage yard called LKQ and it was $205 until another bidder upped it to $255. Damn you, daranrt .. I kid! :chug:
*Note: If you do import from Canada, expect a long delay from Customs and a $34.25 tax from that country. UPS will bill you. I found out the hard way.

Step 2.
Despite what another thread may say, you can save $250 and not buy the factory GPS antenna. I got this one from Amazon and she works like a charm.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JQOXR4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
Its green connector plugs in to the gray connector that is the antenna adapter.

Step 3. Yeah you have to buy the factory GPS antenna adapter. Its $35+$15 shipping from TRD Sparks. Sadly you also have to buy the 86842-0E010 "spider" cable that connects the upper and lower units. The only reason you have to buy this is the MORONS that remove these units usually cut the cords instead of just unplugging them. Jerks.

Step 4.
I highly recommend interior parts trim tools. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $7. That black long plastic trim piece that goes around your clock is surprisingly hard to remove, at least if you dont want to leave any scratches.

You dont need the XM antenna unless you plan on using XM. Good luck with that though because you'll have to get it from the dealer and it'll be expensive.

Now for some pics!

My new baby arrives after a long time in Customs.

I recommend cleaning it first. If it was in a car that was in an accident, it could have airbag dust on it. I have been in a wreck and that smell is familiar and I hate it. Here she is all cleaned up.

Make sure it includes the micro sd card map.

This is the gps antenna adapter from Toyota that you must have.

Here is its connector.

Spider cable. Connects upper and lower sections of nav unit. You must have this.

** I recommend testing your head unit at a local audio shop before proceeding. If something doesnt work, obviously send it back!

Take the long black trim piece off. I suggest starting by your passenger door so you can get the trim tool in there without leaving any scratches. Then slowly pop it off and make your way towards the instrument panel.

Once that's off, just pull and tug around the radio bezel and it will come off. No need for tools here. Just grab it but be gentle and be very careful not to poke the soft material around it. When the bezel comes off, it will still be attached by 2 cables. One for the hazard lights and one for the passenger airbag on/off lights.Disconnect these and set to the side.

Then you will arrive at this point.

This is where all the microfiber cloths come in. You cant use too many! Make sure you put them on the bottom edge of the radio because when that puppy comes out, there are sharp edges and it will hurt the soft padding.

The old radio comes out:

Lots of space back there

In case this helps anybody, the non nav radios connectors.

Here is a family picture of the Plug family that live in your dash. The gray connector is shy.

Lots of room back there:

Looking under where the radio lives:

Get your new nav unit and connect all the plugs. This is very easy. You cant have too much protection.

Fire it up and check out your new features. **Dont get discouraged- GPS signal initially takes a couples minutes to locate. ***You will likely need to do an update soon

It was great to see this message. This is where you need to go ahead and sign up on your entune app with an appropriate VIN#. Once it updates, you will get more apps if they arent already there.

**Holy S#@%. This really scared me. I had it all put back together and my airbag malfunction light came in. I did drive around for a bit and that didnt help. In most cases, your nav unit will come from a wrecked car. I thought I'd have to go to a dealer to get this reset as during this install I did not touch any yellow airbag connectors. After I turned the car off for a few minutes and turned it back on, the light was gone. So, dont panic.

After I updated the system (which you can do wirelessly from your phone) all the apps are present and accounted for! YAY!

More apps!

And just for fun, ( I ripped this idea off from another member indianajonesilm; I cant take credit but this is my own pic)

This was just a fast type up of my install. Please leave questions/comments below. I will do my best to update this and help everyone I can.

Nav unit: $200-255 + or -
Toyota antenna adapter: $50 total
GPS antenna: $19.99
86842-0E010 spider cable: $70
Harbor Freight trim set: $7

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Nope the radio itself never asked for anything. It did have a popup message once that said it has a mandatory update waiting which it does wirelessly through your phone. While it did that I signed up for Entune app and put it a VIN from a USA car with nav. It then signed in and showed all my apps such as bing, facebook, yelp, stocks, etc. Then it says this:

Does those app works?
Yep. All the apps work. I havent signed up with some like Pandora but once I do I just log in and it'll work.

Overall, I have to say that this is officially the biggest bang for the buck upgrade. For $180 you can get a strut bar, sure, but for tech and usefulness and information, this is fantastic! No wonder it was a $2000 option at the dealer.

I've got weather maps, voice navigation searches, apps, live traffic etc. I love it and I'm glad I upgraded. That airbag light scared the ever loving shit out of me but once I restarted the car (and let the airbag system run a self test) it went off.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok, getting the nav unit itself is the trickiest part. Lots of guys on ebay have them for $450-700 but the seller I got it from is called LKQ Automotive. They are a national salvage operation. Here is the strange part... The model nav you need is much cheaper when it comes from Canada. I called and they said this is because there is lower demand for the unit there, and higher demand for ones from the USA.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lkqonline?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

What I did was to set up email alerts for searches for the nav unit's part number (there are various part numbers for basically the same unit). As I said, mine has a part number of 86100-02100. You should also set up alerts for searches like "100150 toyota" and "corolla navigation" so you get notified when one comes up for sale.

Alternatively, you can pay a little more. I think LKQ currently has one for $453. Like I said, I paid $255 and it was listed for $205. I saw one in August go for $197- yes a nav unit.

One more option is to call them. Call LKQ and ask if they have one that isnt listed yet. Just keep searching, you'll find one.

** Be aware, the sellers of these things are idiots. They will list a 100150 unit and then in the description say it is for cars "w/o navigation" which is obviously wrong. This will scare off the uninformed bidders and will let you get it cheaper. Its pays to know your stuff.

#9 ·
Thanks.
As for the vin, I actually just got this vin from an ebay auction where someone was selling a part from the right type of car so I think its highly unlikely to ever be an issue. As for getting one from a dealership parking lot, the odds are quite low an issue would arise and even if it did you can go into your entune account and delete a car and just add another. Remember people buy and sell cars all the time so a conflict wouldn't be a major issue. Add to that, not all owners bother with signing up for the Entune app anyway and even then, remember this is only needed if you get a Canadian unit. So all in all, I think its fine.

#16 ·
Yes I did and thanks for putting up with all my questions. See, there were just so many questions involved with a swap like this and almost nobody had ever done it so I just had to give it a try and figure it out on my own. Now that I did, I wanted to share with others and have 1 comprehensive thread so nobody else has to go around begging for information like I did! :lol:

#21 ·
You're right on the models. What I meant was it was in the US so you wouldnt have to import it or deal with customs.

Secondly..CONGRATS on getting yours! Do you actually have it yet? Where did you get it? $?

I'll help you find the adapter cable. Have you tried emailing TRD Sparks or coolspringstoyota here on the forums?

#22 ·
Bought it on ebay for $260.97 with Buy it Now. Seller listed it as w/o navigation from a wrecked US Corolla. Arrived flawless with map card and "spider" cable. Actually I have an order for adapter cable at TRD Sparks but they e-mailed me and said is not in stock and will take 5-10 days. I called all dealers in the area....no luck.

#24 ·
Seller is bandrauto. I think whoever posted this had no idea that radio has navigation. The moment I noticed the XM antenna on the roof I hit "Buy it Now". The gps antenna is coming tomorrow...good to have Amazon prime. Thanks for the tip, i'll send him an e-mail.

#29 · (Edited)
If any of you guys would prefer to have the oem Toyota GPS antenna then I can sell you mine which I bought for a steal on eBay. If you've looked, you know these go for $175 minimum. I got this one from a friend in NY. It isn't Corolla specific but that doesn't matter. I paid $50. Would sell for 50, just want to get my money back, not make a profit. I received this too late, after I had done the install.

It's just an option if you're the kind of person who likes to keep it OEM. Yes, the gray connector is correct but the green one on the Amazon antenna fits just fine too.

#36 ·
Congrats!! Do you have all the apps? You should post a pic!

So tell me about removing the trim panel. Mine was a bit tricky to remove especially without causing any damage. Did you buy the interior trim set?

I am a native English speaker! lol I'm on the fence about getting XM.

#41 · (Edited)
I'll go out on a limb and say that's about the the cheapest anyone will be able to do this swap. However, I welcome challengers!

Is there a way to perform a hard reset on the radio to trigger the prompts as shown in page 1?
Not that I'm aware of. I think your best bet would be a "reset all defaults" option I swear I saw. That, and disconnecting the battery.

I cannot register the Entune with the car though as its greyd out. Tried hard restart the radio (hold power for a few secs), de-registering the phone from the unit and even a reset of all user settings on the unit as well. When I reconnect the phone, no apps. Could it be that the GPS sees that I'm in Canada when I do this?
Given this message that I got:

What exactly is grayed out? It might be a GPS thing. You meet the requirements of having your bluetooth phone connected, having an Entune app, and having and Entune account. We arent left with many other possibilities.

#40 ·
Is there a way to perform a hard reset on the radio to trigger the prompts as shown in page 1?

I have a 2015 Corolla S with technology package with no apps as I live in Canada. Never saw the apps even when I took it from the dealer.
Based on this thread, I downloaded Entune on my iPhone from THE US App Store and registered with a US vin which was successful. I can see the apps on the phone itself and even associated soem to my accounts.

I cannot register the Entune with the car though as its greyd out. Tried hard restart the radio (hold power for a few secs), de-registering the phone from the unit and even a reset of all user settings on the unit as well. When I reconnect the phone, no apps. Could it be that the GPS sees that I'm in Canada when I do this?

Another choice would be to remove power by disconnecting the car battery, but it isn't worth the effort. Locating the fuse for it could be another option.

If a Canadian car head unit works in the US, we know, i'm sure it can be done.

P.s. I'm running the same latest firmware, per the Entune thread.

#43 ·
Well, I tried while in US grounds and still could not get the radio to synch with the entune app or display all the apps on the unit itself.

Tried hard restart, reset user default, remove phone and resynch via Bluetooth.

Leads me to believe the radio is getting it from the car itself. But this would not explain how they block Alaska and Hawaii. Other than disconnecting the battery or fuse to forced a full reset, I'm out of options..

#44 · (Edited)
Well, I tried while in US grounds and still could not get the radio to synch with the entune app or display all the apps on the unit itself.
Maybe your canadian carrier is blocking Entune app regardless of your location. Next time try with an US carrier, it might work. I'm just saying...

Also check in iPhone settings if ToyotaEntune is allowed to use cellular data and try to set location to "never". If you haven't done it yet.

#45 ·
Great writeup, perhaps pretty cost effective too but I honestly dont think its worth it with the OEM stereo other than the fact that it looks factory. My previous 2014 S which got totaled didnt have Nav and I relied on my phone a lot. The current 2014S that I've had for over a year has nav but the fact that I cant use it (enter/change addresses etc) while driving makes it damn near useless. I end up using my phone anyway.

My advice would be to get something aftermarket or not spend money on it at all. An aftermarket head unit that has Nav, though more expensive will also allow you to upgrade speakers etc for much better sound quality.

#46 ·
Great writeup, perhaps pretty cost effective too but I honestly dont think its worth it with the OEM stereo other than the fact that it looks factory. My previous 2014 S which got totaled didnt have Nav and I relied on my phone a lot. The current 2014S that I've had for over a year has nav but the fact that I cant use it (enter/change addresses etc) while driving makes it damn near useless. I end up using my phone anyway.

My advice would be to get something aftermarket or not spend money on it at all. An aftermarket head unit that has Nav, though more expensive will also allow you to upgrade speakers etc for much better sound quality.

#47 ·
Hi Justin,

First of all, thank u so much for helping us all here. Secondly, I bought a GPS unit ( lucky to got one). Now i need to install it. You said we need GPS antenna, Toyota GPS Antenna adapter and 86842-0E010 spider cable. I dont see any links where you bought them from. Can you please provide that and let me know. Thanks once again.

#51 ·
Glad you got a unit so you can do the project.

We need a GPS antenna, yes. Toyota makes a cable with a white connector that plugs in to the back of the head unit. The other end of the adapter cable is a gray connector. The link I provided to Amazon is a GPS antenna that plugs into that gray connector. That's all you need for the GPS antenna.

Now, as for the spider cable, that is the cable with 6 (I think it was 6) connectors on it and it links the xm module to the main radio. Sometimes when you buy a head unit online the idiots that removed it will have cut the spider cable. If they did, you have to buy one. I got one from my local dealership. The price was around 80 but I got them to come down to 70 or so.

Can you please share the link to the adapter cable and gps antenna, I'm not finding it. thanks!
GPS antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00&tag=viglink20304-20

Spider cable: (might be cheaper from local dealer- was for me by the time they include shipping)
http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~wire~navigation~86842-0E010.html

Mine says 100571. It's a 2016 Corolla Sport Special Edition. Anyone know if this would work for me?
Interesting. Can you post a pic or two of your unit? I'm wondering what they changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.