Toyota Nation Forum banner

R.I.P. Toyota Camry Solara?

26K views 68 replies 42 participants last post by  SecretSpyderMan 
G
#1 · (Edited)
thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com said:
There is a death rumor floating around the Solara these days...

The Camry based coupe will be slightly revised for 2007.
With a new grille and LED tail lights among other things. And although you would think a move to the new 3.5 liter V6 would be automatic, the Solara might not even get it. (that's a weird rumor if you ask me, since Toyota is saving $1000 on each 3.5 compared to the 3.3...)
But is might not be redesigned when the regular cycle is over, the 2009 Model year.
I just drove a Solara convertible a couple of weeks ago. And I thought it was a great car. Solid, quiet and a pleasure to drive.

Toyota is trying to come up with a car that would "attract a different demographic" but still based on the Camry.
My bet is on a new 2 door hardtop convertible with a new name.

By then, even the Sebring will have a hard top, and I don't think Toyota would be far behind...
I was hoping they redesigned it a little more to make it more aggressive. And with a 3.5L V6, it would be very attractive to customers.

#3 ·
This has been rumored and expected for quite some time now, id say almost a year at least.

And what wrong with grandpa cars??? j\k man, thats actually one of the things I like about my car, I hardly ever see anyone under the age of 50 driving one, yet lower it a bit and it looks totally different.

#5 ·
nodrogkam said:
bring back the gen 1/1.5 designs! not feeling the bulkiness of the gen 2's! no offence to anyone who owns and loves their gen 2, its just my personal feelings about it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :D

I think if the Solara was a roadster, with a hardtop.. oh my gawd... just slap on Supra and make it RWD toyota, you'll be all-set:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#7 ·
Solara – Minor Changes​
For 2007, Solara gets an improved 4-cylinder engine and numerous
new options. New standard equipment includes LED tail
light, HID headlamp (Sport), unique 17” wheel (Sport), rear spoiler
(SE and SLE), unique spoiler (Sport), MP3 audio capability,
voice-activated Bluetooth interface with JBL audio (SLE), 6-disc
changer (SE and Sport) and curtain side airbags (Coupe only).
Desert Sand Mica paint is discontinued for 2007 and a new color,
Magnetic Gray, is added.​

#9 ·
Tideland Prius said:
Yeah but this will be its last run... 2008 tops before a new replacement comes.
I dont get it - how can be 2008 tops when 2007 will be out? lol.
Its 3rd year facelift, meaning replacement will come 2009 MY.

Toyota aint keen on dropping names - 2 years ago, people on Rav4 forums were arguing how Rav4 will be RIP year after... now it is the best selling SUV in the world, with waiting lists around the world.

#13 ·
spwolf said:
Toyota aint keen on dropping names - 2 years ago, people on Rav4 forums were arguing how Rav4 will be RIP year after... now it is the best selling SUV in the world, with waiting lists around the world.

Did you just make that up? The best selling SUV in the world is the Ford Explorer, and it has been for quite some time. I've not seen any waiting lists for the new Rav4, either. When I bought the 4Runner last weekend, the dealership had 36 RAv4's sitting on the lot, and not a one of them was sold.

#15 ·
I don't believe Toyota will discontinue the Solara. Toyota has been trying, since the 1st gen Solara, to obliterate Chrysler's hold on the convertible market. If the Solara is killed, maybe the Camry coupe/convertible will take its place.

#16 ·
I love the current Solara. Elegant styling, fantastic interior, Toyota quality. The only thing I don't like are the MZ engines still under the hood. They are good engines, one of the quietest and smoothest in the world, but they are pretty old by Toyota standards, and are now obsolete.

#21 ·
91MR2quickNA said:
I don't believe Toyota will discontinue the Solara. Toyota has been trying, since the 1st gen Solara, to obliterate Chrysler's hold on the convertible market. If the Solara is killed, maybe the Camry coupe/convertible will take its place.
Well said, if you take a business point of view, notice how Toyota functions, Honda too... They not only enter the US/Can. market, they take over it with products as good or better for about the same price. Solara is Chrysler Sebring, Sienna is to Dodge Caravan, Camry is to Malibu/Impala/Grand Prix, Tundra is to F150/Silverado, Sequoia is to Tahoe... Toyota is the domestic attacker, whereas Lexus attacks the Germans.

The Toyota Yaris is to compete with the Chevy Aveo/Suzuki Swift/others sharing this Daewoo crap lol as a GM product!

I believe the only few cars for Toyota to cut out are the Supra, Cressida, Previa, Camry Wagon (now Highlander I guess). Anything Toyota has nixed, they have replaced with a better/revamped version. Toyota cut out manual trannies on cars above the $15-20k mark, with Lexus IS250 as the only manual.

A company like Toyota aims to grab hold of the US market to become #1. The thing is, they aren't going to cut out any market niches, not even profit losing hybrid Priuses. Toyota is trying to penetrate every possible market that the Big 3 have.

Food for thought; if they are getting rid of the Solara, then why on earth release an FJ Cruiser? I can see Toyota discontinuing the MR2 b/c of limited market share and no sales in Canada.

#22 ·
the solara as it is now will be killed. the replacement, IMO, will be smaller, cheaper, and have a different name. the mid-sized convertible will live on, though. you're right, 05v6solara. the segment is pretty much the sebring and the solara. toyota ain't backing down from a head to head fight!!!

I guess the eclipse and V6 mustang fit in there as well, but those are a lot more sport than old person cruiser. Maybe toyota will revamp the solara to compete (on price at least) against the v6 mustang (low 20s) than the v8 mustang (high 20s to low 30s).

#24 ·
2007 TOYOTA SOLARA: SAFER, BETTER EQUIPPED AND BETTER LOOKING THAN EVER

(TORONTO) – Toyota’s sophisticated Solara coupes and convertibles have been restyled for 2007 and are better looking than even before. They are also better equipped for an extra measure of safe and sporty driving performance, and car enthusiasts will now find even more to appreciate, thanks to new refinements such as:

Sleek exterior enhancements that include new fog lamps and rear LED combination lamps.
Redesigned front and rear bumpers on every Solara model.
Sport skirt package on Solara Coupe Sport V6 models.
Sporty new Optitron gauges for the instrument panel.
Sound system with MP3/WMA capability, 6-CD changer, and new auxiliary input jack now standard.
Coloured Rear spoiler standard on all Coupes and Convertibles.
Curtain side airbags are standard equipment on all Solara Coupe models.
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) standard on all Coupe and Convertible models.
Bluetooth capability has been added as standard equipment for the SLE V6 Coupe and Convertible.
High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps with Manual levelling system for Coupe Sport V6 and Convertible.

“In both Coupe and Convertible, the Toyota Solara blends sporty performance with stylish refinement in a combination that’s hard to beat,” said Tony Wearing, Managing Director of Toyota Canada Inc. “As a result, Solara appeals to a wide range of discerning drivers who appreciate quality – and know how to have fun.”

The refined sophistication of Solara’s design translates into an inviting, intelligently-equipped cabin distinguished by a sense of spaciousness as well as controls that are designed to provide maximum visibility and functionality.

Pricing for the 2007 Solara begins at $29,200 for the SE Coupe. In addition to the equipment listed above, the extensive list of standard features includes:
6-speaker, AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA sound system with in-dash 6-CD changer, audio auxiliary input jack, steering wheel audio controls
driver’s seat with power lumbar adjustment
air conditioning with cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts
60/40 split, folding rear seat with vertical-headrests (Coupe only)
power windows with auto up/down for driver
keyless entry with key lockout protection
power auto door lock (with shifter activation on auto transmission)
cruise control
digital compass
high solar energy absorbing tinted window glass
electric rear window defroster with timer
dual power remote heated exterior mirrors, electrochromic driver side exterior mirror
tire pressure warning system

To this, the Solara Sport V6 Coupe and Convertible add:
new levelling HID headlamps
power multi-adjustable driver’s seat
sport fabric seating material
coloured full skirt package (available on Solara Sport V6 sport packages)
leather steering wheel and shifter
17-inch aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks

The Solara Sport V6 Coupe is fitted with a standard power tilt and sliding moonroof with sunshade; the Sport V6 Convertible is equipped with a power retractable roof. Pricing for the Solara Sport V6 Coupe has an MSRP of $33,400, while the Solara Sport V6 Convertible is $36,500.

Solara Coupe and Convertible at the SLE V6 trim level are priced respectively at $36,975 and $39,900 and are further equipped with:
Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC)
Brake Assist (BA)
Bluetooth capability
front automatic climate control
leather seat surfaces
simulated woodgrain trim
heated front seats
cargo net
integrated garage door opener
anti-theft system

The 2007 Solara coupes and convertibles are now available at Toyota dealerships across Canada.

2007 TOYOTA SOLARA– PRODUCT DETAIL

ENGINES

The Solara SE is powered by a 2.4-litre, 4-cylinder DOHC powerplant and comes equipped with dual balance shafts, and Variable Valve Timing intelligent (VVT-i). Additionally, the 4-cylinder SE Solara delivers 155 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 158 lb. ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm, while each V6 Solara is powered by a responsive 3.3-litre, 24-valve, DOHC engine that produces 210 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 220 lb. ft. of torque at 3,600 rpm.

The Solara Sport V6 consists of an aluminium alloy block which reduces weight of the engine, and increases efficiency and performance. Solara also comes equipped with a sequential multiport electronic fuel injection system, making Solara an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV).

Toyota’s advanced Variable Valve Timing intelligent (VVT-i) controls intake valve timing according to engine load to improve responsiveness, power, torque, and fuel economy as well as reduce emissions. A plastic intake manifold with a two-stage Acoustic Control Induction tunes the intake manifold to engine operating conditions, increasing both efficiency and torque. Electronic Throttle Control with intelligence (ETCS-i) provides drive-by-wire fuel efficiency, reduced shift shock, and smoother acceleration and deceleration.

Both fuel-efficient 4-and 6-cylinder powertrains meet Environment Canada’s Tier 2, Bin 5 classification for emissions. The 4-cylinder engine is rated at 9.5 L/100 km in city driving and 6.3 L/100 km on the highway. The V6 Coupe delivers a city/highway fuel economy of 11.5 / 7.3 L/100 km, while fuel economy for the V6 Convertible is rated at 11.6 / 7.6 L/100 km.

TRANSMISSION

Every Solara is fitted with Toyota’s 5-speed automatic Sequential Multi-Mode ECT (Electronically-Controlled Transmission) that provides excellent off-the-line acceleration as well as fuel efficiency at high speeds. Lightweight, compact, and responsive, this transmission enhances both operating efficiency and driving enjoyment.

A gated shifter with sequential multi-mode control allows drivers to choose either fully automatic operation or electronic “manual” gear selection. When the transmission is shifted from automatic “D” into “S” mode, the driver can shift up-and down-by moving the shift lever into the “+” or “-“ position while the dashboard display indicates which gear has been selected. While in the fully automatic operation, the transmission shifts itself into first gear when the vehicle slows to a stop.

In fully automatic mode, the transmission manages shift decisions based on engine speed and load. Intelligent Electronic Shift Control changes the gearshift timing according to driving conditions and driver style. Uphill and Downhill Shift Logic monitors throttle angle and vehicle speed so the transmission stays in the appropriate gear for extra control while climbing or descending a grade.

SUSPENSION AND STEERING

Solara’s handling is comfortable with a suspension that uses gas-filled MacPherson struts, coil springs and a stabilizer bar in front, and an independent dual-link suspension with gas-filled MacPherson struts and stabilizer bar in the rear. Linear control valves in the low-pressure gas-sealed shock absorbers smooth out changes in the damping forces, so the vehicle reacts effortlessly to changes in steering input.
An active control motor mount cancels out engine vibrations while the engine is idle, and both the front and rear suspensions are mounted on anti-vibration subframes.
Progressive engine-speed sensing, power-assisted, rack-and-pinion steering provides a responsive, natural driving feel and excellent on-centre feedback.

BRAKING AND STABILITY CONTROL TECHNOLOGY

To provide enhanced traction and control under all driving conditions, all Solara models are fitted with disc brakes at all four corners and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) enhanced with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD). EBD adjusts front to rear weight differences for added braking performance. If brake application is required during cornering, EBD also controls the brake forces applied to the right and left wheels. Brake Assist (BA) on the Solara SLE V6 models can further help the driver take full advantage of ABS in emergency situations. The system is designed to determine if the driver is attempting emergency braking and, if the driver has not stepped firmly enough on the brake pedal to activate the ABS, it applies maximum braking pressure until pedal pressure is released.

On Solara SLE V6 Coupes and Convertibles, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system, including Traction Control (TRAC), is standard. Using a yaw sensor in conjunction with the ABS and TRAC systems, VSC enhances cornering stability, using both throttle intervention and brakes to correct over-steering and under-steering. The TRAC function may be deactivated by a switch on the instrument panel.

BUILT SAFE

Solara’s sleek and spacious body is also lightweight and highly rigid to reduce road noise and vibration, while increasing driving stability. To enhance occupant protection as well as performance, Solara’s energy-absorbing structure is designed to minimize cabin deformation in a wide variety of collision situations. Side members effectively transmit the forces of a front impact to the front pillar and chassis platform, allowing forces to flow through the structure, around occupants. Side impact forces are dispersed through pillar reinforcements, side impact protection beams, outer reinforcements and floor cross members.

Inside the cabin, the headliner and pillar garnish structures will deform if they are struck, reducing the danger of head injuries to occupants.

In addition to the crush-resistant body, occupants are protected by dual-stage front airbags. The dual-stage system controls airbag inflation by assessing the force of an impact and the driver seat position. A sensor in the front passenger seat further determines the weight of the occupant, inhibiting deployment of the airbag when required.

Seat-mounted side airbags are standard on every Solara. Side curtain airbags are standard on every trim level of Solara Coupe. All five seating positions are provided with 3-point seatbelts – ALR/ELR for passengers, ELR-only for the driver. The front belts have pre-tensioners and force limiters.

Solara is equipped with Toyota’s no deductible, no transfer fee, comprehensive warranty that covers the entire vehicle for 3 years/60,000 kilometres. Power train components are covered for 5 years/100,000 kilometres, major emission control components for 8 years/130,000 kilometres, and corrosion perforation for five years with unlimited distance.

Toyota also provides 24-hour Roadside Assistance on all models for 3 years/60,000 kilometres. Help is just a phone call away at 1-888-TOYOTA-8. Roadside emergency services include battery boost, lockout service, fuel delivery, tire change, winching, and even towing. Optional Extra Care Protection (ECP) is also available, which includes travel planning and trip interruption assistance, which rental help, lubrication maintenance, and mechanical protection for up to 6 years/200,000 kilometres of 17 major mechanical component groups.

#25 ·
Umm I have a 2005 SLE V6 coupe... I love the 3.3L just fine. I did a few runs with a BEL G meter and the best runs for 0-60mph were 5.58 and 5.6 seconds on Premium 93/91 and K&N drop-in and 2x12" subs. If you need more power, something is not right.

#26 ·
05v6solara said:
Umm I have a 2005 SLE V6 coupe... I love the 3.3L just fine. I did a few runs with a BEL G meter and the best runs for 0-60mph were 5.58 and 5.6 seconds on Premium 93/91 and K&N drop-in and 2x12" subs. If you need more power, something is not right.
Hate to break it to you, but theres no way you're doing 5.58 0-60's. You must not have calibrated the device or something. You'd be lucky to crack a 6.5 second 0-60 time. a 5.6 0-60 time would put you at low 14's and on par with the infiniti g35 coupes....and thats not happening...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.