2014 Toyota Tundra Rumored for Chicago Auto Show Debut - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Toyota News News and discussion related to the Toyota family brand.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2014 Toyota Tundra Rumored for Chicago Auto Show Debut



Quote:
Toyota’s first foray into the full-size half-ton truck market was unveiled in 2007 in Chicago, and now AutoGuide has learned that Toyota will likely reveal its all-new Tundra during the upcoming 2013 Chicago Auto Show.

The Tundra has seen lackluster sales, even though when it first debuted it had all the right power and towing numbers to compete with the big three. The main issue with the truck was not design, but that it wore an un-American badge few truck buyers were interested in.

Not much is known about the new Tundra as Toyota is staying very tight lipped, but it will have to be a radical departure from the current design. The new truck will probably be more angular, emulating what the other players have been doing with their trucks lately.
For more info on the 2014 Tundra Debut, visit AutoGuide.com
AutoGuide.com is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGuide.com View Post

It's more "angular" in the sense that 90 degrees is an angle.
bee2 is offline  
#3 Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Newbie One Kanobi
 
ECHOKnight2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: U.S. of America!
Posts: 7,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,292
Thanked 365 Times in 304 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Do you know if this will be all new or a heavy redesign. I remember you saying Toyota won't come up with a totally new one till later in the decade?? This is a just a heavy redesign?? Probably work on the chassis and other stuff as well I assume?? The Tundra needs a kick in the pants. Its a good truck but its in a den of lions. The new RAM is a very nice truck.

Obama: Don't know my head from my A**

ECHOKnight2000 is offline  
#4 Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned as a troll
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 528
Thanked 345 Times in 277 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Toyota needs to give up on the full size truck in America. They've been trying for 20 years with no gain in market share. Americans don't want a full size Toyota...period.

They ought to focus on building a really good small (not midsize) truck **cough**Hilux**cough**...that market is up for grabs right now.
Vmax2007 is offline  
#5 Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
CRESSIDA!!!
 
84Cressida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Red Bluff, CA
Posts: 5,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 101
Thanked 200 Times in 164 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Toyota needs to give up on the full size truck in America. They've been trying for 20 years with no gain in market share. Americans don't want a full size Toyota...period.

They ought to focus on building a really good small (not midsize) truck **cough**Hilux**cough**...that market is up for grabs right now.
Uh, no, their market share has gone up quite significantly from the T100 and they're still on track to sell over 100,000 this year, so apparently some Americans do want a full-size Toyota.

1991 Toyota Camry 28,000 mi
1994 Toyota Pickup 82,000 mi
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 59,000 mi
2006 BMW 330i Sedan 133,000 mi
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid 99,000 mi
84Cressida is offline  
#6 Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned as a troll
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 528
Thanked 345 Times in 277 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Cressida View Post
Uh, no, their market share has gone up quite significantly from the T100 and they're still on track to sell over 100,000 this year, so apparently some Americans do want a full-size Toyota.
Please post their market share year-by-year. Sales growth does not necessarily mean market share growth.

Then compare it to the market share growth they experienced in the small car/truck market in that same time period.

The poor sales of the Tundra is undeniable, even to the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Even though the current Tundra had a rough start in 2007, it has become a reliable, capable 1/2 ton that was designed in the US and built in Texas...and it still gets outsold by the Ram by nearly 2.5:1

Last edited by Vmax2007; 11-12-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Vmax2007 is offline  
#7 Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
Do you know if this will be all new or a heavy redesign. I remember you saying Toyota won't come up with a totally new one till later in the decade?? This is a just a heavy redesign?? Probably work on the chassis and other stuff as well I assume?? The Tundra needs a kick in the pants. Its a good truck but its in a den of lions. The new RAM is a very nice truck.
I don't know anything about the engine or powertrain. To me it looked like a very different truck. My guess is it will be marketed as all new.

I can tell you this, the new design will be either love it or hate it. There probably won't be many "meh" comments.

Last edited by bee2; 11-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.
bee2 is offline  
#8 Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Toyota needs to give up on the full size truck in America. They've been trying for 20 years with no gain in market share. Americans don't want a full size Toyota...period.

They ought to focus on building a really good small (not midsize) truck **cough**Hilux**cough**...that market is up for grabs right now.
Good advice Vmax.
bee2 is offline  
#9 Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned as a troll
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 528
Thanked 345 Times in 277 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee2 View Post
Good advice Vmax.
Hey Kool-Aid boy, I suppose you think Toyota is happy with 100K/year sales too huh?

Doesn't explain why they built a facility in Texas capable of 300K/yr...but let's not let facts get in the way here.
Vmax2007 is offline  
#10 Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Hey Kool-Aid boy, I suppose you think Toyota is happy with 100K/year sales too huh?

Doesn't explain why they built a facility in Texas capable of 300K/yr...but let's not let facts get in the way here.
You should email Toyota with your advice. I'm sure they'd love to hear it.
bee2 is offline  
#11 Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Please post their market share year-by-year. Sales growth does not necessarily mean market share growth.

Then compare it to the market share growth they experienced in the small car/truck market in that same time period.

The poor sales of the Tundra is undeniable, even to the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Even though the current Tundra had a rough start in 2007, it has become a reliable, capable 1/2 ton that was designed in the US and built in Texas...and it still gets outsold by the Ram by nearly 2.5:1

A car is a huge investment while Kool-Aid is just a thirst quencher. I can purchase over 45,700 single packages of Kool-Aid with the money that I was going to purchase a new Tundra with.
aznstylez is offline  
#12 Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned as a troll
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 528
Thanked 345 Times in 277 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznstylez View Post
A car is a huge investment while Kool-Aid is just a thirst quencher. I can purchase over 45,700 single packages of Kool-Aid with the money that I was going to purchase a new Tundra with.
That is roughly only one month's supply in the bee household.
Vmax2007 is offline  
#13 Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
That is roughly only one month's supply in the bee household.
That must bee one big family.
aznstylez is offline  
#14 Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 PM
TN Post Wh*re
 
Camread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 6,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Thanks: 127
Thanked 236 Times in 205 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
They ought to focus on building a really good small (not midsize) truck **cough**Hilux**cough**...that market is up for grabs right now.
A base Tacoma is pretty small.

Anybody know why they don't offer a longer bed length on the CrewMax like everybody else?
Camread is offline  
#15 Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM
CRESSIDA!!!
 
84Cressida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Red Bluff, CA
Posts: 5,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 101
Thanked 200 Times in 164 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Please post their market share year-by-year. Sales growth does not necessarily mean market share growth.

Then compare it to the market share growth they experienced in the small car/truck market in that same time period.

The poor sales of the Tundra is undeniable, even to the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Even though the current Tundra had a rough start in 2007, it has become a reliable, capable 1/2 ton that was designed in the US and built in Texas...and it still gets outsold by the Ram by nearly 2.5:1
Their marketshare has grown from those days. The T100 sold ~40,000 in its best year, the Tundra in its worst year doubled that. If Toyota was selling 1,000 Tundras a month, you might be on to something, but they sell FAR more than enough to be viable in the market and taken seriously. Nissan has had far more problems in the segment than Toyota has.

As for the 200K a year sales target for the 2G Tundra, they nearly got it in 2007 with 196K, but those targets were before gas hit $4.50/gallon and the worst recession in 70 years hit us. The first generation Tundra sold very consistently during its run at over 100,000/ year, except for 2002 and 1999, which wasn't a full year of sales.

I agree with you that the Tacoma should go back to being smaller and that Toyota should just sell the Hilux in the US like they used to, but styled and outfitted to the American market.

1991 Toyota Camry 28,000 mi
1994 Toyota Pickup 82,000 mi
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 59,000 mi
2006 BMW 330i Sedan 133,000 mi
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid 99,000 mi

Last edited by 84Cressida; 11-15-2012 at 12:31 AM.
84Cressida is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome