Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/)
-   Toyota News (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/38-toyota-news/)
-   -   Lexus LFA Successor on Hold (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/38-toyota-news/436225-lexus-lfa-successor-hold.html)

AutoGuide.com 01-07-2013 08:31 AM

Lexus LFA Successor on Hold

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...exus-LF-LC.jpg

Quote:

Critics called it overpriced, but that didn’t stop Lexus from selling all 500 of its $375,000 LFA supercars. A shaky global economy, however, may put an end to the car’s successor.

According to a new report, the LFA II has been put on hold, or perhaps shelved altogether.

Speaking to Automotive News, one unnamed Toyota official re-confirmed initial plans for a new Lexus supercar stating, “At one time, there were informal talks about another project to follow here after the current LFA project finishes.” However, “the current business environment is too poor.”

SEE MORE: Lexus LFA II Rumored

AutoGuide first broke news of an LFA II back in April, with our source promising the vehicle would be twice the car, and twice the price.

If there is any good news, it’s that the carbon fiber technology developed by Toyota to build the LFA wont be put to waste. With the recent announcement that the LFA had completed its production run of all 500 units, Lexus announced in a release that future vehicles, “will reflect the technological skills gained during the development and production of the LFA—in particular manufacturing know-how for carbon fiber reinforced plastic parts—as well as a philosophy of car design for delivering exhilarating and stimulating driving performance.”

The first models likely to see integrated use of carbon fiber are the next-generation IS-F sports sedan, as well as the upcoming LF-LC luxury coupe.
Read the complete story on the Lexus LFA Successor at AutoGuide.com

silver04rollas 01-07-2013 03:29 PM

Bean counters must be giving Akio Toyoda a difficult time keeping a halo car. It is a shame to not have that amazing cutting-edge V10 no longer be in a production car. :disappoin:disappoin :(

Vmax2007 01-07-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver04rollas (Post 4085945)
Bean counters must be giving Akio Toyoda a difficult time keeping a halo car. It is a shame to not have that amazing cutting-edge V10 no longer be in a production car. :disappoin:disappoin :(

You really considered the LFA a "production car"? :dunno:

ECHOKnight2000 01-07-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax2007 (Post 4087369)

Are you interpreting "production" as in mass produced?? I don't think that's the right term/definition you would use. I interpret "production" as in not a race spec or non-concept car. Like drivable road car.:dunno::dunno:

LF-A to my knowledge is a production car. Just a very niche' specialized production experimental flagship supercar that will proliferate technology down the line. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the LF-LC luxury coupe, hope its legit and not a pansy wannabe "sporty coupe."

Vmax2007 01-07-2013 09:40 PM

I know it's technically a "production" car, but I think that's a stretch considering they only made 500 of them. It seems more like a prototype than a production car.

silver04rollas 01-07-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 (Post 4087822)
Are you interpreting "production" as in mass produced?? I don't think that's the right term/definition you would use. I interpret "production" as in not a race spec or non-concept car. Like drivable road car.:dunno::dunno:

LF-A to my knowledge is a production car. Just a very niche' specialized production experimental flagship supercar that will proliferate technology down the line. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the LF-LC luxury coupe, hope its legit and not a pansy wannabe "sporty coupe."

LF-LC from what all it seems like, sounds nothing like an LFA. It will be a hybrid and all of Toyota/Lexus hybrids have CVT with it. I think it would be like a V6 mated to a hybrid motor.

I know there is a lot of anticipation for the LF-LC, but I am very pessimistic about it and I think it will not nearly obsessively about driving experience as the LFA was.

An entire factory with carbon fiber looms and hand built process for the whole car was created just for LFA. It would be a waste now that it will no longer be put to use.

aznstylez 01-07-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax2007 (Post 4087916)
I know it's technically a "production" car, but I think that's a stretch considering they only made 500 of them. It seems more like a prototype than a production car.

So were the only 547 1987 Buick GNX that were built only a prototype to you?

Grand National, GNX, and T-Type are returning to Buick.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gran...-to-buick.html

Vmax2007 01-07-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznstylez (Post 4087958)
So were the only 547 1987 Buick GNX that were built only a prototype to you?

Grand National, GNX, and T-Type are returning to Buick.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gran...-to-buick.html

Um, the GNX and T-Type were high performance variants of a mass produced car. :facepalm:

Camread 01-08-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax2007 (Post 4087369)

Anything the public can buy is "P-R-O-D-U-C-T-I-O-N", period.

Vmax2007 01-08-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camread (Post 4088454)

That is not entirely true. ;)

Also, not just anyone could buy an LFA.

CTB727 01-08-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax2007 (Post 4088466)
That is not entirely true. ;)

Also, not just anyone could buy an LFA.

So by that logic, is a Rolls-Royce or Bentley not a production car? Because few people can buy them.

The LFA is a production car. It was produced for consumers to buy. Very few and wealthy consumers, but consumers nonetheless.

Vmax2007 01-08-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camread (Post 4088454)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTB727 (Post 4089450)
So by that logic, is a Rolls-Royce or Bentley not a production car? Because few people can buy them.

The LFA is a production car. It was produced for consumers to buy. Very few and wealthy consumers, but consumers nonetheless.

Read much?

And it wasn't just the price that prevented people from buying an LFA.

Quote:

CTB727 01-08-2013 03:53 PM

Definition of a prototype:
Quote:

1. (Engineering / General Engineering) one of the first units manufactured of a product, which is tested so that the design can be changed if necessary before the product is manufactured commercially
Those 500 LFAs that were built weren't prototypes, but production models. Therefore a production car.

Vmax2007 01-08-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTB727 (Post 4090249)
Definition of a prototype:

Those 500 LFAs that were built weren't prototypes, but production models. Therefore a production car.

One more time. :facepalm:

Many here have even said that this car's main goal was to get the technology tested so it can be rolled into future products. Hence my comment about it being more of a prototype.

But go ahead and keep selectively reading and comprehending my statement. Whatever makes ya feel better.

ECHOKnight2000 01-08-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vmax2007 (Post 4090345)
One more time. :facepalm:

Many here have even said that this car's main goal was to get the technology tested so it can be rolled into future products. Hence my comment about it being more of a prototype.

But go ahead and keep selectively reading and comprehending my statement. Whatever makes ya feel better.

I know what you're saying. Its a production car but the whole point of it is experimental as far as technology. Like most flagship supercars that are very niche' its not only to get publicity and awareness of brand but also its in a sense a "prototype" for future cars down the road technology wise. Which was the point of the LF-A being only produced 2 years 500 units. Now I hear ya. Gotcha:thumbsup::thumbsup: