Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota Furia Concept Video, First Look: 2013 Detroit Auto Show

6K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Jegan_V 
#1 · (Edited)

The Toyota Furia concept is meant to foreshadow the styling of the next-gen Corolla, and it definitely takes the Corolla’s bland style and jazzes it up quite a bit.

As strictly a design concept, what is under the hood of Furia is still unknown. What is confirmed is that the Furia will be longer and wider than the current Corolla, suggesting that the Toyota’s popular compact will be growing in it’s next iteration. It also gets LED lighting and carbon fiber trim.

More: Toyota Furia Concept Video, First Look: 2013 Detroit Auto Show on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
So what do you think will chang from the concept? I'm thinking /hoping that that the rear is pretty close currently, as far as the front, I think the headlights will get a little thicker and the lower air damn toned down a bit, with 'normal' areas for fog lamps?

Should we expect to see the actual new corolla at the end of this year? Fall?

#5 ·
I like the chrome accents in the front. It's not too little, not too much. I think overall the design looks really good. They could leave it just like that and put a Corolla badge on it. I would think the production model isn't going to feature those nice wheels except as an option. The problem will be that Toyota will stick some ugly 16 inch steel wheels with hubcaps on the entry level version and hubcaps with that body design just won't look right at all IMO.

#7 ·
I like it, but what Toyota needs to do to attract younger buyers it make it faster. 132 hp is not a lot. they should put the 2.5 from the Camry in it or the 2.5 from the TC (maybe go back to turbo charging). the current Corolla is nice but the KIA Forte has it beat, more models more engine choices and overall better looks IMO. (except the Koup, the TC has that beat...)

#13 ·
It would be nice to see it with some other engine options, a little sportier but still getting mid 30's.

Since it seems to be so much wider and the wheelbase longer, I wonder what kind of interior room we can expect. I wonder if they are going after a rear seat the size of a Jetta, they are pretty roomy in the back.

#18 · (Edited)
This won't help the Corolla's current standing, the Matrix has an optional AWD but nobody in the US wants the Matrix at all. Heck even my Impreza while sportier than much of the class, in regular trim levels its driven by mostly middle aged women. Its only the WRX and the STi that attract buyers and actually has the cool factor. That's really the only way to attract young buyers, the car has to be cool. This is why the Civic sells easier than the Corolla to the younger demo, its cooler.

Now to expand on what your thinking, if Toyota ever returned to the WRC if they truly wanted to they could achieve homologation on a Corolla based car even though the homologation rules are gone. The old WRC Corolla exists but its been completely forgotten because Toyota marketers at least at the time seem to hate motorsports and thus told nobody that the Corolla actually won. If the Corolla suddenly has this hard core rally racer for the street, and then a middle version as fast daily drivers while the regular cars for normal people, that might be doable and finally enhance the Corolla image. If the Corolla can finally have at least cool versions, it'll likely lose the image that its your mother's car.

Reactions: ECHOKnight2000
#31 ·
The presenter in the video needs to slow down and they need to take a microfiber towel over the car before they turn on the high def camera's. I like the styling overall but the honeycomb stuff in the grill has to go. Can you imagine trying to clean that?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.