Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/)
-   Toyota News (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/38-toyota-news/)
-   -   2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/38-toyota-news/458009-2014-toyota-tundra-revealed.html)

AutoGuide.com 02-07-2013 10:33 AM

2014 Toyota Tundra Revealed

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...a-tundra-1.jpg

Quote:

The current-generation Toyota Tundra debuted during the Chicago Auto Show in 2007 and today, Toyota brought its new 2014 Tundra to the same event.

A new chiseled look brings the formerly curvaceous Tundra into the boxy realm of the current American-designed pickups. While the profile of the truck remains similar to the current Tundra, the hood, grille, front bumper and wheel arches of the truck have all been squared off for a bold look.

While the folks at Toyota’s Calty design studio were providing new style to give the truck a fresh feel, it seems like the engine development team was sipping cocktails. Disappointingly, the engines are unchanged.

Offered as the standard motor on Tundra Regular and Double Cab models is a four-liter V6 good for 270 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque.

In the middle of the range is a 4.6-liter DOHC i-Force V8 that offers 310 hp and 327 lb-ft of torque, while the top-tier engine is still the 5.7-liter i-Force V8 that makes 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. A five-speed automatic transmission will link up to the V6, while a six-speed will be on duty with both eight-cylinder powerplants. In 42 regular car trim, Tundra’s top tow capacity is 10,400 lbs.

VIEW COMPLETE 2013 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW COVERAGE

For improved ride quality, the shock-absorber valving has been re-tuned, hoping to avoid some of the rear-end chattering that was common in the previous Tundra. Steering feel is adjusted for a little less feedback, which Toyota says will make it better to drive on long trips.

Inside, a complete overhaul brings the Tundra from the land of black, boring plastic into the new-age of truck interiors. Toyota kept the large physical knobs for easy operation, while the rest of the interior was ditched for the new design, save some of the silver and black contrasting dash plastics.

Interior focus was placed on bringing the Tundra a more luxurious feel, along with providing clear differentiation between trim lines.

Ergonomics and comfort received some attention across all the trim levels, as audio and HVAC controls that move closer to the driver. Finally, the front seats are better ventilated and have more travel.

Trim levels start with the SR, move up to SR5, then Limited, and finally two premium trims, the “Platinum” and the all-new “1794” Edition.

The new 1794 trim level brings the Tundra a new level of luxury that will put it in line to compete with Ford’s King Ranch and Ram’s Longhorn edition trucks. Premium saddle brown leather wraps the seats, while ultra-suede contrasts around the interior.

Toyota is offering a few segment firsts in the new Tundra: standard bluetooth, standard backup camera, standard 3.5-inch display screen between the gauges, and blind spot monitor with rear-cross traffic alert, the latter of which will be offered only on Platinum and 1794 edition trucks.

The new Japanese half-ton will hit dealerships in September, 2013
See more photos of the 2014 Toyota Tundra at AutoGuide.com

CarGuyLee 02-07-2013 12:33 PM

Humm, really like the interior even though it reminds me a lot of the current F150. I like the bed, the front end.....ummm, it will probably grow on me. The grill makes me think big for the sake of big.

I really hope there is some difference in the MPG. The engines carryover would be fine if there was some kind of decent improvment in MPG. What really makes me wonder is why didn't they at least stick the 6 speed in the V6, to be able to give some higher MPG claims. If there is no improvment I will be very disappointed and it would knock the tundra off my list of furure trucks most likley.

What are the chances of improved MPG by 2-3 MPG?

They don't even offer the V6 in texas currently, I wonder if that will change with the 2014?

got-rice 02-07-2013 01:05 PM

I just woke up and saw the pics...some nicer touches, and the interior looks better, but the other guys still don't have much to worry about. Will break it down more later.

Camread 02-07-2013 08:26 PM

I think they just hit a inside-the-park homerun. I like the interior, I think its the best-looking. I like the "1794"s front - looks very menacing and Super Duty-like.

mikered30 02-07-2013 09:04 PM

Toyota must have spent most of the budget on copying the interior of ford, as they didn't spend a penny on the power train. The big 3 must be laughing right now. Toyota must be content with their very small share of the truck market as I dont see how this did anything to improve it.

got-rice 02-07-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camread (Post 4309201)
I think they just hit a inside-the-park homerun. I like the interior, I think its the best-looking. I like the "1794"s front - looks very menacing and Super Duty-like.

"inside the park homerun" is a good way to describe it. It should sell well to existing Toyota owners...

aznstylez 02-07-2013 10:26 PM

Wouldn't it had been cool if Toyota had dropped in the V10 from the LFA plus the cool gauges? But then I was just dreaming...Maybe they might come out with a hybrid version later on for better gas mileage and a little bit more power.

Zembonez 02-07-2013 10:49 PM

Congrats Toyota. You finally succeeded in making the ugliest front end to ever make production.

Holy crap.

canddmeyer 02-07-2013 11:20 PM

A Ford forum I read jokingly referred to the 1794 high-end version as the 1941 version. They said Ford's response will be with Fatman and Littleboy versions.

got-rice 02-08-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznstylez (Post 4310425)
Wouldn't it had been cool if Toyota had dropped in the V10 from the LFA plus the cool gauges? But then I was just dreaming...Maybe they might come out with a hybrid version later on for better gas mileage and a little bit more power.

I don't think a hybrid Tundra would sell well at all, because this isn't the car segment. Even GM's trucks were lousy. But a diesel Tundra is still what many people wish to see.

aznstylez 02-08-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by got-rice (Post 4311545)
I don't think a hybrid Tundra would sell well at all, because this isn't the car segment. Even GM's trucks were lousy. But a diesel Tundra is still what many people wish to see.

I don't know much about diesel but don't diesel trucks get kind of loud and doesn't burn as clean as gasoline while not being environmentally friendly? Isn't it why it is kind of hard to bring a diesel vehicle to the market?

got-rice 02-08-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznstylez (Post 4311569)
I don't know much about diesel but don't diesel trucks get kind of loud and doesn't burn as clean as gasoline while not being environmentally friendly? Isn't it why it is kind of hard to bring a diesel vehicle to the market?

Truck buyers are very different from car buyers. If you're using your rationale for buying a Camry or Accord for a truck, you'll have to throw it out :lol:. There are certain advantages for Diesel trucks, as many of them are used commercially, so having more MPG makes business sense.

To think of it, Toyota IS looking at making hybrid trucks, but it ain't going to happen for awhile. They partnered up with Ford to develop the technology for trucks, so we'll see what comes to fruition from it.

Pointcrossed 02-08-2013 08:49 AM

I have a 2011 SR5 with the 5.7L. The things I would like to see in the 2014 3rd gen is better MPG, Better towing capability, improved features and tech ( talking turn signal mirrors, and digital drivers display standard so i dont have to squint at the dash and figure out in my head how fast i am going), and at least an 8 speed transmission with true highway towing capability (are you listening Toyota Corporate???), and definity a bigger fuel tank. The only reason I say that is I get really disappointed when I can't even keep up with other trucks RV's and suv's that are towing on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Pointcrossed 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

To add on Truck owners that use their truck can care less what their truck looks like. It's a tool and it has to put in work and perform the job well.

Towing/Hauling capabilities in a a current model trucks are important. so important that If the truck can't do it, a Truck buyer will find a truck that can, and truly will, and anything else is a old tired "marketing gimmick", enough said.

Vmax2007 02-08-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pointcrossed (Post 4312617)
To add on Truck owners that use their truck can care less what their truck looks like. It's a tool and it has to put in work and perform the job well.

Towing/Hauling capabilities in a a current model trucks are important. so important that If the truck can't do it, a Truck buyer will find a truck that can, and truly will, and anything else is a old tired "marketing gimmick", enough said.

BS. I use my truck and I care what it looks like. Yes, capability is more important, but all modern 1/2 tons are more than capable for what 1/2 tons are meant for.

It tows my 6K lb boat beautifully and it looks good too. :thumbsup: