Toyota Supra Successor, BMW Z4 Rumored to Share New Platform Based on GT86 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Toyota News News and discussion related to the Toyota family brand.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Vivir el momento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,515 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Toyota Supra Successor, BMW Z4 Rumored to Share New Platform Based on GT86

Quote:
With the recent success of the Toyota GT86 platform, it’s no surprise that the Japanese automaker wants to work quickly on its successor to the Supra.

The latest speculation on the project has BMW and Toyota teaming up to form the backbone of the development which will result in not only a successor to the Supra, but a shared platform for the new Z4. It is believed that this new platform will be based on the GT86 but reinforced to not only support additional horsepower but will also be bigger than the GT86.

As for a powerplant, Toyota is considering a 2.5-liter, turbocharged hybrid that would produce at least 400 hp. We could see a concept of this rumored Supra successor at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show, though a production model isn’t expected until 2017 at the earliest.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...d-on-gt86.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Save The Manuals

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Please, no f'ing hybrids in a sports car. Bring back the TT I6. Or at least drop in a V8 or perhaps the LFA V10. But no hybrids.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - 6MT
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling" - Jeremy Clarkson on the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ
#3 Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toyota Supra Successor, BMW Z4 Rumored to Share New Platform Based on GT86

I like the sound of a LFA V10

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#4 Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Hybrid Supra=

Already too many hybrids running around, can't we have ONE decent car that isn't a hybrid?

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
The Following User Says Thank You to arabianobsession For This Useful Post:
ECHOKnight2000 (02-12-2013)
#5 Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Newbie One Kanobi

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Looks like this time around Toyota isn't going to go it alone with the sports cars. First Subie and now BMW. Well BMW is a good source as they have a strong racing and sports car heritage. As well as performance. Yes I know Toyota has that too but not to the pedigree as BMW.

I agree, we don't need extra weight of a hybrid system. Leave that to the boring mobiles.

Obama: Don't know my head from my A**

#6 Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
^Maybe cause Toyota realizes they need all the help they can get when it comes to something fun

1985 AMC Eagle
#7 Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
Looks like this time around Toyota isn't going to go it alone with the sports cars. First Subie and now BMW. Well BMW is a good source as they have a strong racing and sports car heritage. As well as performance. Yes I know Toyota has that too but not to the pedigree as BMW.
When I think the Japanese working with the germans I think of the Contax SLR's... wonderful cameras. German engineering and ergonomics, but it was made by the Japanese so it actually worked and didn't cost nearly as much as a purely German made project. Here is hoping for that level engineering without the stupid hybrid power train.
The Following User Says Thank You to cipher93 For This Useful Post:
ECHOKnight2000 (02-13-2013)
#8 Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Newbie One Kanobi

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianobsession View Post
^Maybe cause Toyota realizes they need all the help they can get when it comes to something fun

Hey-O!!!

Besides costs vs. profit, one reason Toyota has been spotty in its sports car ventures is they bring a sports car into the market and expect it to have Camry, Corolla numbers. Yet to be disappointed so they pull it Probably one of the main reasons they don't have much credibility with enthusiasts. Toyota looks at everything as a mass produced/volume thing. Which is obviously understandable cause that's what they do. But they need to realize that sports cars or sporty cars aren't usually. There are exceptions.

Obama: Don't know my head from my A**

#9 Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM
nike air max

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey-O!!!
shame they cut that out of the movie...
#10 Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Hey-O!!!

Besides costs vs. profit, one reason Toyota has been spotty in its sports car ventures is they bring a sports car into the market and expect it to have Camry, Corolla numbers. Yet to be disappointed so they pull it Probably one of the main reasons they don't have much credibility with enthusiasts. Toyota looks at everything as a mass produced/volume thing. Which is obviously understandable cause that's what they do. But they need to realize that sports cars or sporty cars aren't usually. There are exceptions.
I agree with you 100%! Even when we're talking about the very popular pony cars, they don't sell near as many of those as your run-of-the-mill A to B transport machines. But you don't see those being discontinued (well....silly Chevy/Dodge quit making them for awhile but they're back now!).

1985 AMC Eagle
#11 Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM
nike air max

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianobsession View Post
I agree with you 100%! Even when we're talking about the very popular pony cars, they don't sell near as many of those as your run-of-the-mill A to B transport machines. But you don't see those being discontinued (well....silly Chevy/Dodge quit making them for awhile but they're back now!).
The buyer demographics have always been there for GM and Chrysler's muscle cars. Most truck guys love muscle, so it was stupid of them to ever discontinue them in the first place. Just like there have been fans of Toyota's old stuff and Toyota couldn't figure out the "business case" for a sporty car until Akio stepped up.
#12 Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey-O!!!

I was about 10 years old when they came out, but was this not why the MRS/Celica was considered a flop by Toyota? I know they came out with two or three relatively niche cars (I thought there was a third... might have been the Matrix which is why I don't remember it as a flop) with a similar style around 2000 and thought they'd move big numbers, but they never did and Toyota pulled the plug despite the fact I know cars like the last gen Celica were really hot up here.
#13 Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher93 View Post
I was about 10 years old when they came out, but was this not why the MRS/Celica was considered a flop by Toyota? I know they came out with two or three relatively niche cars (I thought there was a third... might have been the Matrix which is why I don't remember it as a flop) with a similar style around 2000 and thought they'd move big numbers, but they never did and Toyota pulled the plug despite the fact I know cars like the last gen Celica were really hot up here.
You're referring to Project Genesis. The three cars that took part were the Echo, Celica and MR2. The MR2 failed for a few reasons, one it was really impractical, two it wasn't given a great engine, finally not everyone wants a roadster. The Echo wasn't much liked, being a subcompact already wasn't in its favour, the styling was also hit or miss. The most successful of the three was the Celica. It started very strong at the start, but by the third year sales were plummeting and Toyota never gave it the update it required...so it also died.

1986 MX-73 Cressida 5M-GE 290,000+ kms - SOLD (1986-2013)
2004 GD-67 Impreza EJ25 240,000+ kms - SOLD (2011-2014)
2014 ZNA FR-S FA20 4000+ kms - Daily
#14 Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
nike air max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
You're referring to Project Genesis. The three cars that took part were the Echo, Celica and MR2. The MR2 failed for a few reasons, one it was really impractical, two it wasn't given a great engine, finally not everyone wants a roadster. The Echo wasn't much liked, being a subcompact already wasn't in its favour, the styling was also hit or miss. The most successful of the three was the Celica. It started very strong at the start, but by the third year sales were plummeting and Toyota never gave it the update it required...so it also died.
And the Genesis Project gave way to Scion...

I think more than anything, the RSX killed the Celica. And shame on Acura for axing the former Integra.
The Following User Says Thank You to got-rice For This Useful Post:
ECHOKnight2000 (02-14-2013)
#15 Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
Do you really mean the MR2 or do you mean the MRS? Or were they both considered the same car just different body style?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News