Tacoma X-Runner, gone; new SR trim for 2014 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Toyota News News and discussion related to the Toyota family brand.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
nike air max

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Tacoma X-Runner, gone; new SR trim for 2014

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/06/t...-x-runner-dead
Quote:
A report from last week indicated that Toyota will begin trimming models from its Tacoma lineup starting with the Regular Cab in 2015, but the popular pickup will lose its first variant even sooner than that. For 2014, the Tacoma X-Runner has been dropped, though the company's SR Package could fill the need of those looking for a sporty pickup.

The X-Runner has been around since 2005 with its lowered stance, aftermarket-look body kit and bright paint colors, all of which are offered available only on V6-powered, two-wheel-drive Access Cab Tacomas. The new SR Package sounds like it will offer a somewhat similar appearance, though, with a monotone exterior paint scheme in limited colors accented with smoked headlights, but it will only be offered on Pre-Runner and 4x4 models. Other changes being made to the 2014 Tacoma include a new wheel option with black finish, a wider variety of Entune multimedia features, and the option to have the backup camera display moved from the rearview mirror to the audio system head unit.
Saw a lot of these back when they were introduced, then all of a sudden, X-Runners were obscure to find on dealer lots. This was probably the most sporty Toyota badged vehicle you could have bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM
CRESSIDA!!!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm more surprised they kept it as long as they did. I haven't seen one on a dealer lot in years.

They're really cleaning house for 2014. X-runner, FJ, Matrix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1991 Toyota Camry 24,000 mi
1994 Toyota Pickup 77,000 mi
1998 Toyota Avalon 150,000 mi
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 57,000 mi
2006 BMW 330i Sedan 123,000 mi
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid 95,000 mi
#3 Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More of a reason to beat up myself for trading up my 05 X-runner!
I got it early in 05 when lot of people didn't know what it was... the attention, comments & looks I would get, I miss that!
#4 Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
They're really thinning the model before the next generation, that's for sure!

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
#5 Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Too bad, one of the last factory sport trucks after the Dakota R/T went the way of the dinosaur (though that motor was a boat anchor anyway). I know Chevy did a Silverado SS but I don't recall those being lowered like the X-Runner or R/T. Would have liked to seen the X-Runner with the new smoked chrome headlights and black wheels too...
#6 Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Save The Manuals

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a shame I understand why they're doing it though; poor sales and it's time for them to clean up the lineup hopefully in preparation for the next generation.

For a while, this was the sportiest vehicle in Toyota's lineup before the FR-S came along. RWD, additional chassis bracing, lowered stance, lip kit, 6 speed manual, and dealer options of a BBK and TRD supercharger.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - 6MT
"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling" - Jeremy Clarkson on the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ
#7 Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
nike air max

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTB727 View Post
That's a shame I understand why they're doing it though; poor sales and it's time for them to clean up the lineup hopefully in preparation for the next generation.

For a while, this was the sportiest vehicle in Toyota's lineup before the FR-S came along. RWD, additional chassis bracing, lowered stance, lip kit, 6 speed manual, and dealer options of a BBK and TRD supercharger.
After awhile, they changed the colors and you could only get it in Black, Red or Blue. The Speedway Blue color was definitely vibrant. It sucked that for 2012, that color changed to Nautical Blue; now that it did matter because became a "Do they make those still?" vehicle.

The fact that the TRD Off-Road and Sport packages sold better obviously meant the demise of the fastest Toyota as of late.
#8 Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
nike air max

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Cressida View Post
I'm more surprised they kept it as long as they did. I haven't seen one on a dealer lot in years.

They're really cleaning house for 2014. X-runner, FJ, Matrix.
Don't think they are killing the FJC yet. They'll probably keep it around like Lexus kept the SC430 .
#9 Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTB727 View Post

There was the Corolla XRS, too (the previous generation). 2.4l VVTi-L engine, 6-speed manual. I wanted one of those for awhile. They pop up on eBay occasionally.

Regards,
Steve

'08 Sienna LE FWD
'13 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Double Cab Long Bed Texas Edition 4x2
#10 Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkinstx View Post
There was the Corolla XRS, too (the previous generation). 2.4l VVTi-L engine, 6-speed manual. I wanted one of those for awhile. They pop up on eBay occasionally.
Corolla XRS with 2zz engine was a fun little car. Same engine as the Celica GTS. I don't think the latest gen XRS had VVTLI.
#11 Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post

Saw a lot of these back when they were introduced, then all of a sudden, X-Runners were obscure to find on dealer lots. This was probably the most sporty Toyota badged vehicle you could have bought

Now, it was probably the only sportiest offering Toyota had other than the Toyota GT86.

But, back in 2004 when X-Runner was introduced, it was a great time when Toyota had a lot of sporty cars in the compact segment. People could buy 2ZZ-GE with 6 speed manual as a Corolla XRS, Matrix XRS or Celica GTS.

SSM 05 Corolla XRS 6 Spd VVTL-i 2ZZ-GE /04 Corolla S 1ZZ-FE (sold)

BT: 14.67@96mph(I/E)/Injen CAI/Greddy SP2/MT90/Michelin Pilot SS 205/45/17/Megan/Koni/Slotted rotors/Ceramic pads/Enkei PF01 17 x 7.5

Lift off@6000 - 8400 rpm

"LFA - Passion, soul and character in its purest form"

#12 Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 AM
nike air max

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver04rollas View Post
Now, it was probably the only sportiest offering Toyota had other than the Toyota GT86.

But, back in 2004 when X-Runner was introduced, it was a great time when Toyota had a lot of sporty cars in the compact segment. People could buy 2ZZ-GE with 6 speed manual as a Corolla XRS, Matrix XRS or Celica GTS.
For some reason, this trio gets overshadowed so easily. The RSX stole the glory from the Celica at a time when WRX and EVO were getting popular, and the XRS's became less popular than the first Scions. And when the tC came, and everyone forgot about those cars. But yet, people still remember "MR2, Supra, rwd Celica, etc.".
#13 Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM
nike air max

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkinstx View Post
it's 1.8L
#14 Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
For some reason, this trio gets overshadowed so easily. The RSX stole the glory from the Celica at a time when WRX and EVO were getting popular, and the XRS's became less popular than the first Scions. And when the tC came, and everyone forgot about those cars. But yet, people still remember "MR2, Supra, rwd Celica, etc.".
That is a separate issue. Still, the fact remains, those were the most sporting cars that were blessed with one of the very best 4 cylinder engine Toyota ever built (Lotus Elise was using the same engine and transmission in the same period).

As far as popularity goes, 95% of the cars were sold in automatics and you cannot sell a car in big volumes with only a 6 speed manual close-ratio gearbox and an edgy, high-revving screamer engine that demands a lot from the driver, but is very rewarding in return when you put in the proper effort.

RSX also had the same issue where base RSX accounted for over 90% of the sales particularly in automatics. RSX was discontinued just a year after the Celica was discontinued because they both suffered the same problem.

That is where both Honda and Toyota shifted their strategy to sell in bigger numbers, which is where it brought in Scion to appeal to the mass market. The 2nd generation XRS with Camry engine, 5 speed auto/manual and a softened chassis, suspension was also a move in that same direction.

SSM 05 Corolla XRS 6 Spd VVTL-i 2ZZ-GE /04 Corolla S 1ZZ-FE (sold)

BT: 14.67@96mph(I/E)/Injen CAI/Greddy SP2/MT90/Michelin Pilot SS 205/45/17/Megan/Koni/Slotted rotors/Ceramic pads/Enkei PF01 17 x 7.5

Lift off@6000 - 8400 rpm

"LFA - Passion, soul and character in its purest form"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News