VIDEO: Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News

Toyota News News and discussion related to the Toyota family brand.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,224
Gameroom cash: $572800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View AutoGuide.com's Photo Gallery
VIDEO: Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-5


Quote:
A compact crossover rematch
by Luke Vandezande

Several months ago, AutoGuide set a Toyota RAV4 and Mazda CX-5 side-by-side. As you might remember, Mazda won.

It wasn’t long before Toyota launched a letter our way expressing discontent with the result. And rightfully so. The previous verdict came, in part, because the all-wheel drive CX-5 scored more points in driving dynamics than the front-wheel drive RAV4 Toyota lent us for the shootout. Insisting on a rematch, the brand brought AutoGuide a more comparable model equipped with all-wheel drive.

This time around, the two are not only competing on a more level playing field, but the RAV4 actually has an ace up its proverbial sleeve, sporting a more sophisticated all-wheel drive system.

Naturally, and a little cheekily, we found ourselves at the AutoGuide test track, taking the two compact crossovers for back-to-back laps. Silly nonsense? Maybe, but there was only one question to answer: which one of these sporty compact crossovers truly deserves the driving dynamics crown?

SEE ALSO: The Original Mazda CX-5 vs RAV4 Comparison

To recap, both vehicles are equipped with automatic transmissions and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines. The CX-5 makes a little more power with 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque to the RAV4’s 176 hp and 172 lb-ft.

In almost every category, the two are about as close as a UFC pre-fight stare down. For example, the RAV4 is only 53 lbs heavier than the CX-5. On average, the two should be within a single mile per gallon of each other; the CX-5 is rated at an average 26 mpg and the RAV4 at 25.

DOES SOPHISTICATION EQUAL SPEED?

The RAV4 will send power to the rear wheels more readily than the CX-5. Both systems are based on front-wheel drive layouts, but Toyota’s will send power to the back half more readily.

Like many other augmented front-drivers, the CX-5 uses a slip-and-grip approach to governing power distribution. It’s reactive in the CX-5 instead of the RAV4’s proactive approach.

In “sport” mode, the RAV4 sends up to 10 percent of the car’s power to the rear as soon as the steering wheel is turned. That’s important because it means the RAV4 should have a big advantage over the CX-5 while cornering.

If the RAV4 senses understeer, it can send up to 50 percent of the engine’s power to the rear wheels. But the key difference is the ability to have all four wheels powered before entering a turn.

With this impressive technology in its corner, betting on the RAV4 to turn faster laps would seem like a sure thing, but that’ not how things went. It turned out to be a full 1.5 seconds slower than the CX-5.
Read the complete Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-5 comparison at AutoGuide.com
AutoGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic
 
hardtopte72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 7,275
Gameroom cash: $1181450
Thanks: 609
Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,695 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
One is better at being a car and one is better at being an SUV.

The cargo area and features would likely outweigh the horsepower and handling advantages.
__________________


My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the blue Thanks button on my post.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
nike air max
 
got-rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cawlifornia
Posts: 10,676
Gameroom cash: $2001704
Thanks: 45
Thanked 602 Times in 512 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View got-rice's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
One is better at being a car and one is better at being an SUV.

The cargo area and features would likely outweigh the horsepower and handling advantages.
Buyer profiles:
CX5: buyer now with a growing family who has owned sporty cars like a Miata, VW GTI that is likely to values driving experience, again catering to a niche.

RAV4: repeat Toyota buyer, or a shopper that has owned Camrys, Accords or other midsize sedans that are used for commuting and everyday life, and is cross-shopping it against the CRV, Escape or other mainstream small SUV.

I would think that the RAV4 still has the cargo area advantage, though you can get a decently equipped CX5 Touring with HIDs and Tom-Tom Navigation for around 28K. The XLE isn't badly priced either for around 26K with Entune/Nav. My sister and BIL just bought a 14 CRV with leather for 28K, but it wasn't super equipped as either a comparable RAV or CX5.

And yes, the RAV4 will outsell the CX5 as always because there are more buyer profile types that fit the latter than the former, with Toyota having a huge dealer network
got-rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic
 
hardtopte72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 7,275
Gameroom cash: $1181450
Thanks: 609
Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,695 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
Buyer profiles:
CX5: buyer now with a growing family who has owned sporty cars like a Miata, VW GTI that is likely to values driving experience, again catering to a niche.

RAV4: repeat Toyota buyer, or a shopper that has owned Camrys, Accords or other midsize sedans that are used for commuting and everyday life, and is cross-shopping it against the CRV, Escape or other mainstream small SUV.

I would think that the RAV4 still has the cargo area advantage, though you can get a decently equipped CX5 Touring with HIDs and Tom-Tom Navigation for around 28K. The XLE isn't badly priced either for around 26K with Entune/Nav. My sister and BIL just bought a 14 CRV with leather for 28K, but it wasn't super equipped as either a comparable RAV or CX5.

And yes, the RAV4 will outsell the CX5 as always because there are more buyer profile types that fit the latter than the former, with Toyota having a huge dealer network
Not having driven them yet, it still doesn't look like the CX-5 has a good or even sporty driving experience. It is just better than the RAV-4. So the owner of a Miata or whatever is still going to be unimpressed.

That buyer should just move to a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 Wagon.

The Rav4 does have the cargo area advantage by a lot.

I see this as one of the few times Mazda is building a stupid vehicle. Not really good at anything or cheap either when looking at the actual use of the vehicle.

I think the RAV4 kicks the crap out of it.
__________________


My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the blue Thanks button on my post.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
nike air max
 
got-rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cawlifornia
Posts: 10,676
Gameroom cash: $2001704
Thanks: 45
Thanked 602 Times in 512 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View got-rice's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
Not having driven them yet, it still doesn't look like the CX-5 has a good or even sporty driving experience. It is just better than the RAV-4. So the owner of a Miata or whatever is still going to be unimpressed.

That buyer should just move to a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 Wagon.

The Rav4 does have the cargo area advantage by a lot.

I see this as one of the few times Mazda is building a stupid vehicle. Not really good at anything or cheap either when looking at the actual use of the vehicle.

I think the RAV4 kicks the crap out of it.
Well, the "journalists" were mostly impressed with the CX5 if they voted it ahead of the RAV, as it has the qualities that they desire, and not that of a regular consumer. But I think the only way to be impressed is to actually go drive one rather than armchair it.
got-rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 7,425
Gameroom cash: $1660301
Thanks: 960
Thanked 211 Times in 203 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View zythr's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
Well, the "journalists" were mostly impressed with the CX5 if they voted it ahead of the RAV, as it has the qualities that they desire, and not that of a regular consumer. But I think the only way to be impressed is to actually go drive one rather than armchair it.



RAV4 for the win, 'nough said
zythr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
nike air max
 
got-rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cawlifornia
Posts: 10,676
Gameroom cash: $2001704
Thanks: 45
Thanked 602 Times in 512 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View got-rice's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zythr View Post
RAV4 for the sales, 'nough said
says the people who buy their cars to only drive them when they need to and park them most of the time. Actually, Escape and CR-V outsell both cars here.

Last edited by got-rice; 09-29-2013 at 06:23 PM.
got-rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newbie One Kanobi
 
ECHOKnight2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: U.S. of America!
Posts: 7,002
Gameroom cash: $3045000
Thanks: 1,242
Thanked 360 Times in 300 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ECHOKnight2000's Photo Gallery
I think both are great. how boring if we all had the same appliance. Some appliances are unbearable boring i.e. Toyota and other appliances have some spunk to them

Its nice that automakers will cater to some niche's while being mainstream about it. Of course i"m not for pseudo crap either. Toyota is the everything to everyone maker hence watered down product. But that's the name of the game.
__________________
Acura: Honduh's best raising the bar just below mediocre

ECHOKnight2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
nike air max
 
got-rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cawlifornia
Posts: 10,676
Gameroom cash: $2001704
Thanks: 45
Thanked 602 Times in 512 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View got-rice's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
I think both are great. how boring if we all had the same appliance. Some appliances are unbearable boring i.e. Toyota and other appliances have some spunk to them

Its nice that automakers will cater to some niche's while being mainstream about it. Of course i"m not for pseudo crap either. Toyota is the everything to everyone maker hence watered down product. But that's the name of the game.
Nothing to "RAVe" about
got-rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newbie One Kanobi
 
ECHOKnight2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: U.S. of America!
Posts: 7,002
Gameroom cash: $3045000
Thanks: 1,242
Thanked 360 Times in 300 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ECHOKnight2000's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
Nothing to "RAVe" about


AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Keep your day job
__________________
Acura: Honduh's best raising the bar just below mediocre

ECHOKnight2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic
 
hardtopte72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 7,275
Gameroom cash: $1181450
Thanks: 609
Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,695 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
Does a Niche exist for slightly sporty, N/A 4 Cyl, 30K, compact CUV's? It was one second faster around a track then a RAV4 which is the opposite of sporty.

I just can't imagine someone getting into and saying, "Wow this handles great so I'll overlook the options and cargo space."

It may be MORE sporty than the RAV4 but a compact CUV is to sporty as an independent party candidate is to President.
__________________


My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the blue Thanks button on my post.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
nike air max
 
got-rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cawlifornia
Posts: 10,676
Gameroom cash: $2001704
Thanks: 45
Thanked 602 Times in 512 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View got-rice's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
Does a Niche exist for slightly sporty, N/A 4 Cyl, 30K, compact CUV's? It was one second faster around a track then a RAV4 which is the opposite of sporty.

I just can't imagine someone getting into and saying, "Wow this handles great so I'll overlook the options and cargo space."

It may be MORE sporty than the RAV4 but a compact CUV is to sporty as an independent party candidate is to President.
Its a niche for sure. The fact that CX5s aren't heavily discounted must mean something. Mazda is the anti-Toyota/Honda.

Toyota created some markets themselves right? If there was no RX, the Europeans wouldn't be selling SUVs.
got-rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,843
Gameroom cash: $846252
Thanks: 24
Thanked 352 Times in 319 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Jegan_V's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
Does a Niche exist for slightly sporty, N/A 4 Cyl, 30K, compact CUV's? It was one second faster around a track then a RAV4 which is the opposite of sporty.

I just can't imagine someone getting into and saying, "Wow this handles great so I'll overlook the options and cargo space."

It may be MORE sporty than the RAV4 but a compact CUV is to sporty as an independent party candidate is to President.
Unfortunately it could succeed for the same reason CUVs exist in the first place. You sacrifice fuel economy, acceleration, handling, low running costs, and price...all for some ride height over a normal car. Logically...the CUV class is simply silly and pointless. If all the person wants is enough hatch and liked how the CX-5 drives...then that will be it in choosing it over the RAV4.

I mean look at the Dodge Journey, its a terrible terrible vehicle. Does every single measurable area worse than the Caravan. Even subjective stuff like driving better or comfort is better in the Caravan. For only $500 you get a massively better vehicle in the Caravan. Instead the Caravan is only bought for fleets, probably half of all Caravans are fleet vehicles making the Journey for some reason the one people buy...even though in pretty much every measurable way its simply worse.

I can see the logic in people buying Corollas, Camrys and Accords. The CUV market though...logic need not apply as they're not particularly logical vehicles to begin with.
__________________
1986 MX-73 Cressida 5M-GE 290,000+ kms - SOLD (1986-2013)
2004 GD-67 Impreza EJ25 240,000+ kms - SOLD (2011-2014)
2014 ZNA FR-S FA20 2000+ kms - Daily
Jegan_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic
 
hardtopte72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 7,275
Gameroom cash: $1181450
Thanks: 609
Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,695 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
If all the person wants is enough hatch and liked how the CX-5 drives...then that will be it in choosing it over the RAV4.
Right and how many of these people are there?

The likely decision maker will be styling and loyalty. People who love Mazda or hate Toyota and like the way it looks compared to the others will buy it.

Got-rice:

The point I am making is that CUV's are niche in their own way. The CX-5 isn't a niche CUV. It is an average CUV with a slightly different take than the others just like most midsized cars. The MazdaSpeed 3, Subaru STi, Jetta GLI and Golf GTI, Accord Coupe, and Murano Convertible are niche.

The CX-5 is just another CUV. This is evident in just how similar it was in the comparison test (again RAV4 is 1.5 seconds slower yet the RAV4 is slightly heavier, slightly more roomy, and slightly less powerful which are all contributors to the ever so slightly different time). Based on their test the CX-5 won. Based on someone else's test (like mine for example) it probably would have lost.
__________________


My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the blue Thanks button on my post.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 7,425
Gameroom cash: $1660301
Thanks: 960
Thanked 211 Times in 203 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View zythr's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
says the people who buy their cars to only drive them when they need to and park them most of the time. Actually, Escape and CR-V outsell both cars here.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with that.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
I think both are great. how boring if we all had the same appliance. Some appliances are unbearable boring i.e. Toyota and other appliances have some spunk to them

Its nice that automakers will cater to some niche's while being mainstream about it. Of course i"m not for pseudo crap either. Toyota is the everything to everyone maker hence watered down product. But that's the name of the game.


Says the one who is driving an Echo
zythr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.