Toyota Nation Forum banner

Lexus RC media test drive canceled in Japan -- for lack of interest

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  silver04rollas 
#1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-drive-canceled-in-japan-for-lack-of-interest
TOKYO -- Well, this is embarrassing. For Toyota Motor Corp. as well as Japan’s so-called automotive press corps.

Toyota notified journalists last week that a long-scheduled new-car test-drive event was scrubbed -- for lack of interest.

And it was not just for any new car. The event was supposed to showcase the new Lexus RC sports coupe, the lineup’s new halo car in a post-LFA world and definitely its best-looking one.

Also on hand: the RC F high-performance version.

The drive, which was to be held Friday in Yokohama just south of Tokyo, “has been canceled due to insufficient attendance,” Toyota said in an apologetic email to non-Japanese media based in Japan.

Both Japanese and non-Japanese media were invited. Automotive News, for the record, RSVP’d to show up and drive.

Toyota’s cancelation is all but unprecedented. It begs the question of whether it would have saved more face just to go ahead with the event, even with a pathetically low turnout.

Toyota public relations was stunned. A baffled spokesman said it was just one more sickening example of the auto-alienation syndrome gripping this country and its young.

It’s a common refrain these days: Japanese just don’t get geared up about cars anymore, not even sexy ones like the RC.

Some journalists had a different take.

“Why would I go all the way to Yokohama to test drive a sports car like the RC and just sit in traffic?” quipped one German business reporter who was put off by the hour trip out of town.

To be sure, the event lacked the cachet of Lexus’ weekend country road trip in rural Japan for the GS. Or even the Scion FR-S’s mountain pass drive through the foothills of Mount Fuji.

But the miffed German journalist, comparing the Lexus RC offer with similar events sponsored by Mercedes-Benz or BMW in his homeland, said it also spoke to a deeper disconnect in Japan.

“If it’s a luxury brand, they need to radiate a certain image,” he said. “Even to journalists.”
Blames Japanese youth for disinterest in driving...the predator face scared the media away.

#2 ·
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-drive-canceled-in-japan-for-lack-of-interest

Blames Japanese youth for disinterest in driving...the predator face scared the media away.

They mentioned "sexy" RCF. That's a stretch. Maybe everything except the front. But I do like the car, a step in the right direction. A worthy successor to the original SC.

Well that's bad even the Japanese don't want a Toyota lol. Okay I know its a bigger issue.
I think on top of disinterest in Japan but also Lexus brand from my understanding has had and is having a rough time in Japan anyway. Image but also the fact that Toyota sold higher priced Toyota's in Japan since the dawn of time. So that is established and then they expect people to switch over to the Lexus brand which is almost the same but L badge. yes of course they are different now. I know that is a stigma. It would be like if GM sold high priced Chevy's then suddenly badged them Cadillac and said okay public, buy these badged Cadillacs that are higher priced Chevy's. Probably won't work. Maybe in the past but not now for sure.

Hence why Lincoln has a long road ahead, and Mercury went away and Plymouth (redundant brands). Like Acura right now. Warmed over higher priced Honduh's. Quasi premium.

But yeah Lexus doesn't have the footing that the German brands have in Japan, from my understanding.

#3 ·
But the miffed German journalist, comparing the Lexus RC offer with similar events sponsored by Mercedes-Benz or BMW in his homeland, said it also spoke to a deeper disconnect in Japan.

So, it's not the car or the brand.

#11 ·
Lexus cleared it up regarding this erroneous reporting. The Japanese media attended the event in strong numbers. The next day, there was a special event for international media, which had low anticipated attendance and hence was cancelled.

#13 ·
RC-F receives a lot more praises than the IS-F ever did. IS-F was not considered a major player in the entry sport luxury segment.

Lexus has clarified, this was incompetent reporting since Japanese media attended the event in strong numbers. Only the event next day reserved for foreign press, was cancelled (obviously, foreign media chose to attend the Monticello event).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.