Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota recalls over 681,000 vehicles in US

22K views 121 replies 37 participants last post by  05Moose 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Great find! Thanks for the heads up!

But, why would they say they are recalling xxxx vehicles when they are not recalling the entire vehicle, just a certain parts. Oh well

#3 ·
But, its the SPIRAL CABLE. I hope all of you who paid $$ to get yours replaced go back looking for a refund...

They recall a car to fix a part. Its hard to replace the part without the car being there.

#8 ·
I did not have them do the accelerator pedal and ecu flash. I will have this recall done. I should probably tell them to not do the ECU flash or pedal when I bring it in.
Good luck on that!!!...they will cut your pedal and reflash even if you instruct them not to...search for threads here where guys took their trucks in for even just an oil change and came out with a cut pedal and reflashed ECU.

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've read about the refunds on recall items, but I don't think it gave instructions. I actually think you're supposed to call Toyota Corporate and work with them. They'll probably be the ones to process it and cut a check.

EDIT:

Found this on NHTSA's website:

If I pay for needed repairs before a recall is ordered, am I entitled to reimbursement?

Yes, under certain conditions. Manufacturers are required to provide reimbursement for certain costs incurred by owners to remedy safety defect conditions prior to a recall. Vehicle manufacturers are required to reimburse owners for costs incurred to remedy a defect based on either (1) the date NHTSA opens its Engineering Analysis, or (2) one year prior to the manufacturer’s notification of a defect to NHTSA, whichever is earlier. The closing date of eligibility for reimbursement of repair of a motor vehicle is 10 days after the manufacturer mails the last of the owner notices informing owners of a safety defect recall and cost-free remedy. For replacement of equipment, the closing date is either the same as for motor vehicles or 30 days after the manufacturer’s closing of its efforts to provide public notice of the existence of a defect, whichever is later. Documentation of the costs is required for reimbursement. While the current reimbursement policy is a relatively new requirement, manufacturers have in the past often voluntarily agreed to absorb such costs, provided customers could prove the pre-recall repairs remedied the defect in question.

#19 ·
thanks spithead051 and 05Moose for the info.

I found the receipt/write up from the dealer and I'm even more glad to say that I paid the bill with American Express. If the dealer/corporate wont play ball, I know AMX will. They are infamous for sticking it to the merchant and compensating their customers while investigating the claim. I should know, I'm a merchant and AMX, while giving the merchant the benefit to appeal, will pull the money right away to compensate the customer before you even get to send them your explanation.

I'm going to contact the dealer now to see if they'll compensate me, though I'm thinking I may have to wait til I get the recall notice (if I get it at all since I've already had the work performed!).

Can someone on the forum post their recall notice as soon as they get it? They supposed to come out in April, right?

#22 ·
I'll post under this thread when I receive mine in the mail.

thanks spithead051 and 05Moose for the info.

I found the receipt/write up from the dealer and I'm even more glad to say that I paid the bill with American Express. If the dealer/corporate wont play ball, I know AMX will. They are infamous for sticking it to the merchant and compensating their customers while investigating the claim. I should know, I'm a merchant and AMX, while giving the merchant the benefit to appeal, will pull the money right away to compensate the customer before you even get to send them your explanation.

I'm going to contact the dealer now to see if they'll compensate me, though I'm thinking I may have to wait til I get the recall notice (if I get it at all since I've already had the work performed!).

Can someone on the forum post their recall notice as soon as they get it? They supposed to come out in April, right?

#28 ·
It connects the steering wheel stuff to the car. Air bag, horn audio and cruise controls. I assume it is coiled like a spring so it winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel back and forth.

#29 ·
I'd echo the idea that getting the pedal cut is no big deal. It sounds scary - why would you want the dealer to hack up a factory part? But it's all plastic, so it's very easy to cut, and Toyota provided the dealers with metal templates to follow. There's no difference in function, as your foot probably doesn't touch the bottom one-inch portion of the pedal anyway. If they hack it up too bad and it looks horrible, you can complain after they do it and make them order a new pedal assembly that's made to be the correct size.

If you want to find out if any recall work is outstanding on your Toyota vehicle, including this new one about the spiral cable, go here and check your VIN:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/recalls

#30 ·
I'd echo the idea that getting the pedal cut is no big deal. It sounds scary - why would you want the dealer to hack up a factory part? But it's all plastic, so it's very easy to cut, and Toyota provided the dealers with metal templates to follow. There's no difference in function, as your foot probably doesn't touch the bottom one-inch portion of the pedal anyway. If they hack it up too bad and it looks horrible, you can complain after they do it and make them order a new pedal assembly that's made to be the correct size.
I'll buy that. The gas pedal cutting is no big deal.

But really, this whole gas pedal cutting so called fix is in my opinion a scam. It's a diversion away from the real issue that is worked around with the ECU flash that adds the brake override capability. I think Toyota knows it but this is a way for them to avoid liability.

#32 ·
Ill have to bring mine in.. I think its a good idea to get the pedal recall done - you might not want it done but say in 5 years you sell the truck, the new owner would be none the wiser...

#39 ·
He'll eat it. My dad was a mechanic all his life and I spent tons of time in the mechanics bay at the dealership (before he went private). He used to break even or always come out ahead...using hand tools only. Then my brother-in-law trained him on using power tools for most everything and he was then coming out way ahead. Now the guys he used to work with that didn't follow the rule of "Do it right the first time..." well they would eat it in the end.

#40 ·
^^ What Moose said. :)

Yeah, if they run into a snag and it takes more time, they eat the extra. BUT, from what my friend tells me, the flat rates are rigged in favor of the mechanic.

#41 ·
Crazy thing is my battery went dead and my airbag light is on and this just happened tonight at 6:45pm. Perfect timing....

#43 ·
Your Sig says you have an 05. So your outta warr. for the battery and if airbag light came on at same time probably related to low voltage code, also not covered under warr.

Replace battery and see if airbag light comes back on first. If its not related to the recall you'll be charged for the check out (scanner hook up).

Unless you have some sort of extended warr. thats covering these things. :D

#42 ·
As a mechanic my self talking about flag rate. Most if not all dealer pay and charge customer by the flag rate and alot of shops too. If it calls for 1.5 hours the customer is charge 1.5 hours and the shop hour rate and the tech is paid 1.5 hours his hourly pay rate.

Some things pay good some things we swear no one can do it in that time. Oil changes pay like 0.2 and that means roadtest, rack it on the lift, check out, then replace filter and oil in 20 min or less. Very hard to do all that right/good for paying 0.2, but that's where if you check it good and it needs brakes or something you can make up your time. (ever wonder why you always need something else replaced when they change your oil)
Older cars with rusty, broken or striped bolts you have a harder time keeping up with book time then new ones. We never sit back if we finish early, move to the next car to make money! You don't have to use up the whole time to get payed for that time. Its already written and known ahead of time for you and the customer what the charge and the pay is for that job whether it take 5 min or 3 days.

#46 ·
I've been avoiding the ECU reflash along with the gas pedal recall ever since it came out.
Last time I was working on the truck I put a plastic bag around the ECU with electrical tape with a note saying do not reflash ECU.

From everything I read it eliminates the ability to 'power brake' the truck. I use that to many times when unloading and loading a boat, especially when their is snow on the ramp.

Gas pedal less concerned about but still don't want that done either, I like the way my truck works and feels right now.

#47 ·
I've been avoiding the ECU reflash along with the gas pedal recall ever since it came out.
Last time I was working on the truck I put a plastic bag around the ECU with electrical tape with a note saying do not reflash ECU.

From everything I read it eliminates the ability to 'power brake' the truck. I use that to many times when unloading and loading a boat, especially when their is snow on the ramp.

Gas pedal less concerned about but still don't want that done either, I like the way my truck works and feels right now.
It won't affect that. I've posted this before, but can't find it. So I guess I'll clutter up this thread a little with the pics since we've moved onto this topic anyway. This is from Toyota's website when the brake override came out.

#52 ·
I had that problem the first time I entered it, figured I entered it incorrectly somewhere. Worked the second time. BTW, I don't think this is VIN-specific. I believe it affects every Taco from 2005-2009.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.