Toyota Nation Forum banner

Possible to program FOB to open Windows/sunroof without dealer?

93K views 135 replies 56 participants last post by  newowner2015CamrySE 
#1 ·
I have heard that there is a way to program the FOB so that when you hold down the UNLOCK key for a few seconds the windows and sunroof opens.

is there a way to program this ourselves? Or is this only available at the dealer, and if so, will there be a cost associated with it?

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Yes you can do that yourself and more with the cheap Chinese clone of the X-Horse mini VCI TIS for Toyota diagnostic cable on Ebay and TechStream version 7.0 (google it :naughty:) ... I successfully program that + a few other options. Must be Techstream version 7.0+

With Techstream lower than 7 (I tested 6 and 4.5), you can view all the parameter, but cannot customize any. Gave me error, at least for the 12 Camry ... i didn't do anything to my 03 camry so older version might work on older model.

for the DIY'er, it is a good investment for that mini VIS cable to diagnose problems. Those customize options are just a bonus ....

#7 ·
Yes it is available. When I ran the TechStream, it detected the year, model, engine type, and ask you if you have smart key or without smart key.

Any option that you don't have, the customize screen is blank. I have the SE without smartkey as well. I enabled the FOB to open window, as well as the hold driver key to open /close window

#9 · (Edited)
then you should avoid this dealer like a plague .... I did a bunch of options myself in less than 30 minutes (first time doing this too) ... a majority of this 30 minutes was waiting for techstream to communicate with the ODBII and retrieve all the data .... once I click on the customize ... i waited for a good 3-5 minutes before all the option came up.

#18 ·
FYI: there is apparently an issue with the TechStream software/interface for the 2012 Camry that Toyota dealers use to turn this customization on. They are supposed to be able to program the car to operate ALL windows, but the software is only programming the car to do the driver window.

I've been keeping an eye on the Techstream Known Bugs (google it and you'll find the document) which mentions this bug. When they get it fixed, I'm going to take my car in to have all of the windows set.

#20 ·
Great to hear, I'll wait until this bug is fixed before going to the dealer then. I'd like all the windows + sunroof to roll down. I live in Florida and have a baby so it would be helpful to do that in order to quickly cool the car down.

#21 ·
I am actually sitting at a Toyota dealer right now and I had them program my Camry to roll the windows down with the unlock button on the fob but they only did it so the driver door window and the sun roof opens. Also got the seat belt chime turned off. Didn't cost a dime.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#28 ·
Went to my dealer for a 5k service and asked them program the key. They told me that it couldn't be done. I told them it was in the owners manual and they said they would try to do it. They told me it would cost 55.00 and would not guarantee it would work. I told them that I would take it to another dealership along with my service work and they did it for free.

#24 ·
Does anybody know if it covers the hybrids? I am very interested. I would love to be able to bleed my own brake system which requires the Tech stream.... I have a Lexus RX400h....

#36 · (Edited)
It seems like they (like many) dealerships don't know WTF they are talking about. Did anyone train these fools? if we can take the time to read our manuals after we purchased the car then why can't they? they are supposed to be the pro's. We are supposed to rely on their "expertise" for answers to our questions. The same thing happened to me, but I called in a favor from a Toyota Employee (cousin) and got Toyota's head field Tech to come to my dealership and show these fools how to program the windows. WOW !!!! I guess it wasn't impossible to do like 3 of their techs told me !!!! LOL.
I would not go back to that dealership.... PERIOD !!!!!!! If they tried to put Pennzoil oil in my vehicle I would immeadiately report them to Corporate!!!!!!!! sounds like they are trying to cut corners and increase profit ( I mean that's what they are really here for anyways)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.