Toyota Nation Forum banner

Distributor Plug removal

9K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  bolink654 
#1 ·
2000,Camry,Auto.2.2L
I'm wanting to purchase the Dist Plug,Not sure where to get it, oReilly's doesnt show it,Would this be a dealer item? Mine is leaking
Would I be able to remove the plug without removing the VC? It has been recently resealed
and if I can what is the best way of removing the plug
or should I just try to cover the plug with a good sealant....Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
stop by your local Toyota dealership, you can get that seal for just 8 bucks. I advise to replace a new seal, if you try to reused the seal, you will see oil leaks again. i replaced the new seal on my 2000 Toyota Camry. the oil stop leaks.

please bring your old seal with you to show the part guys... if i remember, they call seal.. WHEN you're ready to install a new seal back, please add sealant before reinstall. DO NOT PUT SUPER CLUE OTHER THAN SEALANT WHEN REINSTALL THE SEAL. ONLY APPLY SEALANT AROUND THE SEAL BEFORE REINSTALL BACK.

#4 ·
No need to replace it unless it's cracked or distorted. It's just a plastic disk with no seals. It's held in place with silicone sealant. Break it out and clean it up really good with some type of solvent. Then reinstall it using Permatex Ultra Black or equivalent; there are many.

Reactions: ssulaco
#5 ·
I don't agree at all. hot and cold will shrink the rubber enough to allow the rubber material break down. if you don't believe me, I did re-used the rubber. the oil still leak after put siilicon ... finally, i end up removed again..and put a new rubber or seal. the oil leaks is now fixed.

#6 ·
No need to replace it unless it's cracked or distorted. It's just a plastic disk with no seals. It's held in place with silicone sealant. Break it out and clean it up really good with some type of solvent. Then reinstall it using Permatex Ultra Black or equivalent; there are many.
I don't agree at all. hot and cold will shrink the rubber enough to allow the rubber material break down. if you don't believe me, I did re-used the rubber. the oil still leak after put siilicon ... finally, i end up removed again..and put a new rubber or seal. the oil leaks is now fixed.
I just did this to my car....when I was doing my research I went to a Toyota dealership to buy the Plug...the parts guy could not figure out what part it was. He took me to the garage and got a Tech for me. The tech told me it was not necessary to buy a new one just clean it up and reseal it.....obviously if it is cracked that is a different thing.......You said it was resealed already and leaked?.......did you pull it all apart and reseal it with permatex gray the first time?.....did you pull up the half moons and reseal them?.......did you put gray on the 8 recommended spots?......find the thread that I have about this.....and read it........I believe the consensus for the VC nut torque is 20psi.....

#7 · (Edited)
I just did this to my car....when I was doing my research I went to a Toyota dealership to buy the Plug...the parts guy could not figure out what part it was. He took me to the garage and got a Tech for me. The tech told me it was not necessary to buy a new one just clean it up and reseal it.....obviously if it is cracked that is a different thing...(Why would Toyota not have this in Parts breakdown of the Head)....You said it was resealed already and leaked?(The VC had been resealed.......did you pull it all apart and reseal it with permatex gray the first time?.....did you pull up the half moons and reseal them?(What are the Half moons?).......did you put gray on the 8 recommended spots?......find the thread that I have about this(You have a Link?).....and read it........I believe the consensus for the VC nut torque is 20psi.....

#11 ·
there are a few members on here that really know there stuff........BMR is one of them........you do not need the plug. look at the plug if it is not cracked and it does not look cracked to me then you can reuse it.......you need some permatex Gray........and a torque wrench....

#10 · (Edited)
I don't know why Toyota did not have the part or why the toyota parts guy could not find it........incompetance I would assume.......The tech however knew all about it...

the reason it leaked is because you did not reseal the plug and the half moons.....my guess is that plug is fine.......

Go to my name and search my posts and the threads I started....if you read all my posts about this topic and the thread I starterd you will learn everything.........all the questions will be answered....

You sound like a NOOB so I will give you some advice..It is all about preparation......you will be better off studying the threads and reading and watching videos of this or any repair for an hour or 2.......then gather everything you need and ..then do the job..you will only have to do it once....I am guessing you are on the second repair of this job because of lack of preparation .....it took me 1.25 hours of pretty painless work to do mine.......so far so good.....

#13 ·
Yes. Halfmoon plug = semi-circular plug. Those are aluminum. No need to replace those either, unless they're damaged in some way. They're also held in with sealant. To get them out, use a visegrip or pliers and lift up with a little rocking motion. The old sealant should let loose with a little persuasion.

Also, put a dab of sealant at the corners, where the gasket goes up and over the cam journals.

Here's a link to Vibe's thread. There's a lot of good tips sprinkled all over, so read the whole thing closely... http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...411-leak-plug-where-old-distributor-went.html

Reactions: ssulaco and Vibe
#16 ·
I was just rounding up a list of parts that my Camry needs, (ext door handles, ball joints, est) and I've thought that mines been leaking here for awhile now. Could be the valve cover or half moons though they were just done 10k ago and it REALLY looks like the leak is coming from the plastic plug...

Anywho, I'm gonna do the VC, halfmoons, reseal the spark plug tubes, and this plastic plug all at once. I know it can be re-used but just for the hell of it, if it was cheap I was just gonna replace it.

And so I just wanted to point out that a seller on eBay has them for $13 if you search EZ9017A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.