weird clicking Noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Solara Forum for discussion and information related to all generations of the Toyota Solara. 1st Generation (1999–2003) 2nd Generation (2004–2009)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
weird clicking Noise

I have a sporadic yet extremely annoying sound coming from the interior of my 2004 solara SLE. It is a weird rapid (but not at a constant rythm) cross between a click, a rattle, and a squeal. it almost sounds like some rubber being rubbed on something smooth for very quick bursts. It seems to be coming from the passenger side under teh dashboard somewhere. it only makes it while driving, if i come to a stop it doesnt make the sound, but teh sound doesnt always happen when i hit bumps. it is more of just a road vibration causing it i think. but it doesnt make it all the time. Is there a common problem that could explain this, I dont want to take it in because even if the car makes that sound while i have it at the shop i have a worry that they will tear the dashboard off and say there was no problem adn charge me an arm and a leg for nothing and not fix the problem.

Below are some things that I thought it might be and the reason why i now dont think it is that item.

Speaker - Makes it when the radio is off as well
Loose glove compartment - Makes the sound while holding hte glove
compartment tightly shut
Window - Makes it when the window is closed and open
Air vents - makes teh sound when the vents are off and on
rearview mirror - makes teh sound even when i hold it in place.
sunroof - makes it even when open and closed

if anyone has any insight i would be interested in hearing it. I think something is just a little bit loose but i have no idea what and the sound drives me insane, i love the car other than that but the sound is almost enough to go trade it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The best (and sometimes only) way to find a noise like that is to equip a passenger with a stethoscope (an old piece of garden hose works great). Find a piece of road that's guaranteed to generate the noise and let the passenger probe around to zero in on the source.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Solara