Blue Smoke from Exhaust Pipe - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Solara

Solara Forum for discussion and information related to all generations of the Toyota Solara. 1st Generation (19992003) 2nd Generation (20042009)

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View toyotadan17's Photo Gallery
Blue Smoke from Exhaust Pipe

I own a 2000 Toyota Solara SE-V6. Every time I start my engine, light blue smoke comes out of my exhaust pipe. The longer the car is idle, i.e. overnight, the more smoke comes out. In the morning a ton of smoke comes out of my exhaust pipe when I start my vehicle. I didn't change my oil for almost a year, and when I checked it last week there was no oil at all, so I finally had the oil changed. But the smoke persists. Can anyone please tell me what the problem is? Do I need an enginge-repair? What could be the problem and how much would the cost of repair run?

Answers greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
toyotadan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View AnglerfisH's Photo Gallery
Sounds like you could be running rich. No oil change for almost a year!!? That's contributing to it big time, I wouldn't be suprised if you have bad oil sludging inside your head. You'd need to de-sludge the engine with cleaners, or if it's really bad have the head steam cleaned. Your piston rings could be going bad, and that's not exactly a cheap thing to replace if it's done by the dealer. Also, how old are your spark plugs? Do you get a check engine light? Hope this helps, and if I'm in error on anything, someone else will probably add their two cents.
K&N Drop In Filter

Last edited by AnglerfisH; 02-10-2010 at 07:56 PM.
AnglerfisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View dixon422's Photo Gallery
Blue smoke is an indication that your engine is burning oil...if it was running rich, the smoke would be black.

Does the smoke go away completely once the vehicle is running warm? Hopefully, it does.

By the sound of your situation (not changing oil and running dry), some damage has been done to the seals and probably piston rings from the lack of lubrication.

You may be able to "help" the situation by using a thicker, high-mileage oil...something like valvoline high-mileage 10W-40, or 20w-50. The thicker oil will help reduce the oil seepage into the combustion chamber, and the high-mileage additives that are put in these type of oils will help to extend the life and function of other seals that may have been compromised during the low-lubrication period.

You are probably using the factory-recommended 5W-whatever, which means that the oil is "thinner" at cool (start-up) temperatures, allowing it to slip past the damaged seals more easily when you fire it up...then as it heats, the oil approaches its "thicker" state and can't get into the chamber as easily, which is why the smoke goes away.

As an additional recovery and prevention step, I would definitely have a look at EVERY spark plug to check for additional signs of damage or wear...then replace them.

Good luck!

'04 Solara SLE V6 coupe, Lunar Mist Metallic: Wife's old ride..now mine ... TRD springs, 18" wheels, TRD exhaust, Intake w/ MAF mod.

Last edited by dixon422; 03-01-2010 at 11:34 AM.
dixon422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View samjed46's Photo Gallery
I have a solara 2000 and the check engine light is on when got it scanned it showed the P0335 – Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
Open or short in crankshaft position sensor circuit
Crankshaft position sensor malfunction
Starter Malfunction
PCM malfunction
P0340 – Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Open or short in camshaft position sensor circuit
Camshaft position sensor malfunction
Starter malfunction
PCM malfunction

Kindly advice what to do about it. do i have get the engine overhauled.
samjed46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View dixon422's Photo Gallery
Have you considered having a mechanic remove those sensors, test them, and replace if necessary? You definitely are not in "engine overhaul" territory if these are the only codes you have, with no other symptoms.

i would have those sensors checked and replaced if necessary.

How many miles does it have?

'04 Solara SLE V6 coupe, Lunar Mist Metallic: Wife's old ride..now mine ... TRD springs, 18" wheels, TRD exhaust, Intake w/ MAF mod.

Last edited by dixon422; 03-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.
dixon422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View littlebookworm's Photo Gallery
Anglerfish: You are killing your engine by not changing or checking your oil for a year. If you want to keep your engine running, I rurge you to change your practices. As to your present situation: Your valve seals are probably shot, allowing oil into the cylinders, which is burned at start-up. Therefore, you have blue smoke. My recommendations: Have a compression test done. This will check your rings and valves to let you know if you need a total engine overhaul. If the compression is low on one or more cylinders, tell the mechanic to squirt some oil into the cylinders in question and to redo the test. If compression comes up, then you have bad/stuck rings and need an full engine overhaul. If compression doesn't come up, you need a valve job. If the car runs fine now, my guess is that you will need to just replace your valve seals. That can usually be done without pulling the cylinder heads. Cost: my estimate $200-$400. I know that's a big margin, but unfortunately I can't be any more accurate. If your car itself is in good shape, I'd suggest you do the repair and let it be a lesson learned. Read and follow your owner's manual's recommendations on maintenance. Good luck. Hy
littlebookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View Off Laker's Photo Gallery
Littlebookworm has the best answer. You are burning oil... and for that to happen, its either getting by the valve seals or piston rings. A compression test will reveal a lot. I would take that car to a good Mechanic and hope for the best. I think its going to cost you. Change your oil more often, its cheap insurance!

Good luck.
Off Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Littlebookworm, Off Laker: a small error; Toyotadan17 has the oil problem I was responding to his issue. My solara is babied, with oil changed every 3,000 miles, all fluids changed on schedule.
K&N Drop In Filter

Last edited by AnglerfisH; 04-05-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View littlebookworm's Photo Gallery
AnglerFish: My apologies. As I re-read the postings, I see that I blamed you for a problem related to someone else, ToyotaDan17. I wonder if that's his age? Dan, how did you do with your car problem?
littlebookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

It's all good Hopefully he did get his smoke issue resolved.
K&N Drop In Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Solara