Audio Upgrade in '04 Solara SLE Convertible w/JBL? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Solara

Solara Forum for discussion and information related to all generations of the Toyota Solara. 1st Generation (19992003) 2nd Generation (20042009)

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ETMegabyte's Photo Gallery
Question New Head Unit in '04 Solara SLE Convertible w/JBL? (RESOLVED - With PICS!)

I recently purchased a 2004 Solara SLE Convertible, which has the JBL stereo in it.

Unlike previous cars, I plan to keep this car audio system fairly tame, however, I hate the factory deck. I have an Eclipse AVN52D (AVN5510) from my old car that I want to put into this car... Information on audio options are sketchy for this car, as most people assume the Solara is the exact same as the Camry, which it is not...

Anyway, the combination of my Eclipse deck and the BT-E500 Bluetooth module make my deck pretty much plug-and-play with most Toyota vehicles. Unfortunately, I found out today that most does not appear to include mine...

So, here I am... As I said, my Solara has the factory JBL stereo in it, and the harness in the back is a single 20 pin connector, which is blue in color. Basically it's 16 small pins in the middle (in 2 rows), and 4 larger pins on each corner. I'd like to avoid tearing apart either the harness in the car, or the harness on my Bluetooth module.

Is there an adapter that will convert an older Non-JBL stereo (which my bluetooth module emulates) to the JBL harness? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

An alternate option I'm thinking of is purchasing a Metra 71 series harness (71-1761 I think?) which would give me the standard Toyota Non-JBL plugs, and splicing off the blue harness the constant, switched, illumination, etc wires, and running a second set of speaker wires to each factory speaker location. Then I should be able to just plug in my current deck harness and be good to go. I'm only considering this because eventually I plan on upgrading the speakers as well. This would just force me to do it at the same time as the deck install. More time consuming for sure, but maybe a better solution?

-Eric

Last edited by ETMegabyte; 05-10-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Change of Title
ETMegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ETMegabyte For This Useful Post:
ARISUNG (02-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

Well, I think I've found a solution. I've ordered the parts... We'll see if it works... Logic says that it should...

Basically what I did is I purchased a Metra 70-8117 kit (which is a harness designed to bypass the factory JBL Amp entirely) and a Metra 71-1761 kit (which is a harness originally designed to go INTO a factory 87-up toyota headunit)...

The 8117 kit is 2 plugs. One that fits on the plug on the output side of the factory JBL amp (direct to speakers) and a second that plugs into the blue plug pictured above, grabbing power, ground, illumination, etc. the 1761 is just a replacement harness and the plugs on it are just as you would find on the CAR side of older Toyotas (the plugs that plug into older Toyota headunits)

What I plan on doing is connecting the two kits together. Gonna use the 8117 kit to get my basic speaker leads and power leads, and connect them to the 1761 kit, which will effectively transform the JBL Wiring harness into a non-JBL older Toyota factory harness, which I will simply plug my BT-E500 into. Unless I'm missing something important, this should allow me to hook up my Eclipse deck without any major troubles. Once that's done, all I'll need to actually splice is the VSS wire and the reverse signal wire (for the GPS and the Backup Camera respectively).

This will save me tons of time as well, since I'll not have to run new speaker wires to all the speakers. After re-looking at the car, it's pretty clear that running new wires into the front doors was going to be a huge undertaking because the factory wires from the door come into the car way up under the dash by the airbag. I want no part in getting up in there...

The bonus of doing it this way is that if I ever sell the car, I can simply remove my "adapter", re-plug in the JBL amp, and reinstall the factory deck. That transformation could happen in like 15 minutes...

Last edited by ETMegabyte; 04-16-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

For those of you interested, I finally got the pieces (yeah, 24 days for one of them!) and put them together... And I must say that it went together beautifully!

For those who like art, I've included pictures:

This is basically the connection point of the two harnesses I purchased... I got a quick surprise in that Metra says that Toyota doesn't put an illumination wire in their JBL harness?? Anyway, the two plugs on the right are the ends of the 71-1761 and the two on the left are the ends of the 70-8117...

This is a closeup of the connectors that come with the 70-8117. The bigger one is at the end of 17 feet (yes, really, 17 feet) of wire (which I cut down - I'll get to that later) which I will run behind my glovebox to the larger plug on the factory JBL amp, and the other one is a short pigtail that will connect to the blue connector in my first post...

This is a closeup of the connectors that come with the 71-1761. These are identical to the connectors that you would find inside an older, non-JBL Toyota...

The Metra 70-8117 comes with 17 feet of wire, since that harness can be used in many different vehicles (including the 4Runner which has it's amp in the rear quarter-panel)... Needless to say I don't need nearly that amount to get to behind my glove box, so I cut that down a little I ended up cutting it down to about 4 1/2 feet or so. Here is the harness laid out on the trunk of my Solara, roughly positioned like it will go in the car...

And with that installed in the car, the radio went in beautifully. There's PLENTY of room behind the radio for miscellaneous wires (I have a bluetooth module, iPod module, and a Soundgate ZNCBLPAK (to control/interface my zune to the video input) behind the radio with plenty of room to spare.

Here's a pic of the finished product playing a video from the Zune...

Thinking about it now, I wish I had taken pics during the install, but I got so focused on doing it, I forgot to take pics. But the install was CLEAN! Everything just plugged right into everything else. With the ridiculous number of wires that my deck has connected to it, it still managed to stay organized and not all jammed in there... *sigh*

I'm a little unhappy with the fit of the Scoche TA2087B dash kit, though. The color is right, but the fit isn't. If you look close at the last pic, you'll see what I mean (look bottom-center, bottom right, and top right areas of the dash kit where it meets the other panels)... Ah well... Another problem for another day... The important part is that the radio is in, it's working, and my "adapter" did exactly what I expected it to!

I hope my explanation and pictures help others...

-ET

NOTE: When hooking up the two wiring harnesses, I did NOT hook up the factory subwoofer to anything. It sux anyway. I connected only the 4 internal speakers. And even with the stock speakers, it sounds really good (better than the factory radio sounded WITH the sub)... I still intend to replace the factory speakers, but that's a project for another day. I also plan on looking into a better sub to put in the factory location, but I will run on an external amplifier if I do put one in...

Last edited by ETMegabyte; 05-10-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Better final picture (Old one was blurry)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Some afterthoughts for those doing a nav install on an '04 Solara...

For my headunit, an Eclipse AVN52D (AVN5500), the VSS wire doesn't "appear" to be "required" for the unit to function, however, the map moves much smoother if it's hooked up, since the radio itself can tell how fast to move you, and not have the jerky jumps of a GPS update every second or two. So, for me, the VSS wire was an important thing to locate...

I found the VSS wire in the clock harness just above the radio. It was a purple wire with a white stripe and either gold or silver dots (they looked silver-ish/gold, so I don't know what color it's supposed to be)... It's a very thin wire. I tapped into that and it works beautiful without having to deal with the half-a-million wires at the ECU (which was something I was trying to avoid if possible - there's a TON of wires back there, and very little room to work)...

Also, my deck is VERY bright at night, so the lack of the illumination wire at the harness was a problem. I found it very convenient that there's a light in the area between the buttons for the heated seats just above the storage box in the center console (just below the heater controls, which is just below the radio). I tapped off the green (positive) wire on the plug that feeds that, and VOILA! Illumination wire!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View boostin4's Photo Gallery
sorry to bump something so old but i just bought my vehicle and am looking at audio options. thank you for taking the time and headache to figure this out
boostin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin4 View Post
sorry to bump something so old but i just bought my vehicle and am looking at audio options. thank you for taking the time and headache to figure this out
You'd be best off to start a new thread if you have questions about something not covered here. This thread is pretty much open and closed.

If you have questions specific to what I did, i'd be happy to answer them...

-ET

Last edited by ETMegabyte; 07-09-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View ARISUNG's Photo Gallery
2004 Solara SLE Convertible JBL Navigation removal instruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETMegabyte View Post
I recently purchased a 2004 Solara SLE Convertible, which has the JBL stereo in it.

Unlike previous cars, I plan to keep this car audio system fairly tame, however, I hate the factory deck. I have an Eclipse AVN52D (AVN5510) from my old car that I want to put into this car... Information on audio options are sketchy for this car, as most people assume the Solara is the exact same as the Camry, which it is not...

Anyway, the combination of my Eclipse deck and the BT-E500 Bluetooth module make my deck pretty much plug-and-play with most Toyota vehicles. Unfortunately, I found out today that most does not appear to include mine...

So, here I am... As I said, my Solara has the factory JBL stereo in it, and the harness in the back is a single 20 pin connector, which is blue in color. Basically it's 16 small pins in the middle (in 2 rows), and 4 larger pins on each corner. I'd like to avoid tearing apart either the harness in the car, or the harness on my Bluetooth module.

Is there an adapter that will convert an older Non-JBL stereo (which my bluetooth module emulates) to the JBL harness? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

An alternate option I'm thinking of is purchasing a Metra 71 series harness (71-1761 I think?) which would give me the standard Toyota Non-JBL plugs, and splicing off the blue harness the constant, switched, illumination, etc wires, and running a second set of speaker wires to each factory speaker location. Then I should be able to just plug in my current deck harness and be good to go. I'm only considering this because eventually I plan on upgrading the speakers as well. This would just force me to do it at the same time as the deck install. More time consuming for sure, but maybe a better solution?

-Eric
ARISUNG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View ARISUNG's Photo Gallery
Can you inform me how to remove 2004 Solara SLE JBL Radio with Navigation?
ARISUNG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Solara