Toyota Nation Forum banner

History of the Toyota Solara

56K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  TableRocked 
#1 ·
HISTORY OF THE SOLARA

Chronology:

1999 - Introduced during CY 1998

1999 - "Best Car in Vehicle Satisfaction, Sporty Car" AutoPacific, Inc.

1999 - Among "Best Buys" Consumer's Digest

1999 - "Total Quality Award" Strategic Vision, Inc.

2000 - "Best Buy" Consumer's Digest

2000 - Introduced all-new Camry Solara convertible

2002- Front and rear fascias are updated, along with other interior minor refinements. A new four-cylinder engine is available.

2004 All-new second-generation Camry Solara is introduced.

History:

The 1999 model year brought the introduction of the all-new Camry Solara sport coupe. It became Toyota's newest entry in the sport specialty segment.

Solara was aimed at consumers entering their peak earning years, who are nostalgic for the sports cars of their youth, but need more room and comfort than a sports car can provide.

Camry Solara became the first Toyota Division vehicle to take full advantage of Toyota's North American engineering, styling and manufacturing facilities. It was jointly engineered by Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan and the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was styled at Toyota's CALTY Design Center in Newport Beach, Calif. and built exclusively at Toyota's award-winning production facility in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

For 2000, the Solara was powered by either a four-cylinder or V6 engine, equipped with either five-speed manual or four-speed electronically controlled transmissions. Solara rode on four-wheel independent MacPherson strut suspension including front and rear stabilizer bars with anti-vibration sub-frames and gas-filled shocks. Solara offered an Upgrade Package that included 16-inch alloy wheels and tires, a perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel, a tighter, more controlled level of suspension tune, and a rear spoiler. The package was offered on the SE model with the V6 engine.

On the inside, all Solaras were equipped with an assortment of high-level feature content such as power windows, doors and locks, cruise control, fog lamps and dual-illuminated vanity mirrors. On the outside, Solara was available in ten exterior colors and all colors were complimented by coordinating interiors in either Ivory or Charcoal. Standard safety features included a driver- and front-passenger airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), driver- and front-passenger seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters, three-point seatbelts in all seating positions and four-wheel Anti-Lock brakes.

For 2000, the Camry Solara added a convertible to its lineup.

The 2001 Camry Solara carried over with no new changes. The Solara Convertible was unchanged as well, with the exception of one new exterior color, Indigo Ink.

For 2002 the Camry Solara received slight cosmetic changes. It received more aggressive front bumpers and headlight assemblies. The rear had new attractive taillights. The Solara received an all-new 2.4-liter four-cylinder that generated 157 horsepower.

The 2003 Camry Solara coupe and convertible were both unchanged.

The 2004 Camry Solara has been completely redesigned and was introduced in August, 2003. Camry Solara production was shifted from Cambridge, Ontario Canada to Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky (TMMK) in Georgetown.

The 2004 model is distinguished by a sleek, new exterior design, a roomier, more luxurious interior, enhanced safety technology and a higher level of sporty performance.

Solara is now available in three distinctive model grades: SE, highlighted by sporty metallic-finish interior trim, SE Sport with an aggressive body kit and a unique interior, and the SLE with greater content and a woodgrain-style interior trim.

The new SE Sport grade combines an exclusive body styling kit with suspension and interior enhancements to give this model a sharply defined performance image and feel.

As before, Solara offers both four-cylinder and V6 engines. However, the 2004 model gets a significant performance boost thanks to a new 3.3-liter VVT-i V6 engine that is available in all models. The all-aluminum V6 produces 225 horsepower at 5,600 RPM and 240 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,600 RPM, compared to 198 horsepower and 212 lb.-ft. of torque from the previous 3.0-liter V6. The V6 is teamed exclusively to a new five-speed sequential automatic transmission.

What does it mean?

Coined name portraying the radiance of the sun.

Where is it built?

Camry Solara's are built exclusively at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky (TMMK) in Georgetown, Kentucky.

**NOTE: All chronology dates are model year, unless noted otherwise. CY refers to "Calendar Year."**

See less See more
#11 ·
clutch problems

HISTORY OF THE SOLARA

Chronology:

1999 - Introduced during CY 1998

1999 - "Best Car in Vehicle Satisfaction, Sporty Car" AutoPacific, Inc.

1999 - Among "Best Buys" Consumer's Digest

1999 - "Total Quality Award" Strategic Vision, Inc.

2000 - "Best Buy" Consumer's Digest

2000 - Introduced all-new Camry Solara convertible

2002- Front and rear fascias are updated, along with other interior minor refinements. A new four-cylinder engine is available.

2004 All-new second-generation Camry Solara is introduced.

History:

The 1999 model year brought the introduction of the all-new Camry Solara sport coupe. It became Toyota's newest entry in the sport specialty segment.

Solara was aimed at consumers entering their peak earning years, who are nostalgic for the sports cars of their youth, but need more room and comfort than a sports car can provide.

Camry Solara became the first Toyota Division vehicle to take full advantage of Toyota's North American engineering, styling and manufacturing facilities. It was jointly engineered by Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan and the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was styled at Toyota's CALTY Design Center in Newport Beach, Calif. and built exclusively at Toyota's award-winning production facility in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

For 2000, the Solara was powered by either a four-cylinder or V6 engine, equipped with either five-speed manual or four-speed electronically controlled transmissions. Solara rode on four-wheel independent MacPherson strut suspension including front and rear stabilizer bars with anti-vibration sub-frames and gas-filled shocks. Solara offered an Upgrade Package that included 16-inch alloy wheels and tires, a perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel, a tighter, more controlled level of suspension tune, and a rear spoiler. The package was offered on the SE model with the V6 engine.

On the inside, all Solaras were equipped with an assortment of high-level feature content such as power windows, doors and locks, cruise control, fog lamps and dual-illuminated vanity mirrors. On the outside, Solara was available in ten exterior colors and all colors were complimented by coordinating interiors in either Ivory or Charcoal. Standard safety features included a driver- and front-passenger airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), driver- and front-passenger seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters, three-point seatbelts in all seating positions and four-wheel Anti-Lock brakes.

For 2000, the Camry Solara added a convertible to its lineup.

The 2001 Camry Solara carried over with no new changes. The Solara Convertible was unchanged as well, with the exception of one new exterior color, Indigo Ink.

For 2002 the Camry Solara received slight cosmetic changes. It received more aggressive front bumpers and headlight assemblies. The rear had new attractive taillights. The Solara received an all-new 2.4-liter four-cylinder that generated 157 horsepower.

The 2003 Camry Solara coupe and convertible were both unchanged.

The 2004 Camry Solara has been completely redesigned and was introduced in August, 2003. Camry Solara production was shifted from Cambridge, Ontario Canada to Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky (TMMK) in Georgetown.

The 2004 model is distinguished by a sleek, new exterior design, a roomier, more luxurious interior, enhanced safety technology and a higher level of sporty performance.

Solara is now available in three distinctive model grades: SE, highlighted by sporty metallic-finish interior trim, SE Sport with an aggressive body kit and a unique interior, and the SLE with greater content and a woodgrain-style interior trim.

The new SE Sport grade combines an exclusive body styling kit with suspension and interior enhancements to give this model a sharply defined performance image and feel.

As before, Solara offers both four-cylinder and V6 engines. However, the 2004 model gets a significant performance boost thanks to a new 3.3-liter VVT-i V6 engine that is available in all models. The all-aluminum V6 produces 225 horsepower at 5,600 RPM and 240 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,600 RPM, compared to 198 horsepower and 212 lb.-ft. of torque from the previous 3.0-liter V6. The V6 is teamed exclusively to a new five-speed sequential automatic transmission.

What does it mean?

Coined name portraying the radiance of the sun.

Where is it built?

Camry Solara's are built exclusively at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky (TMMK) in Georgetown, Kentucky.

**NOTE: All chronology dates are model year, unless noted otherwise. CY refers to "Calendar Year."**

Hi

1) What is the function of the clutch accumulator- what does it actually do?

2) Recentely I changed the clutch in my 2000 Solara. The problem is when I'm depressing the clutch pedal to up- shift from first to second gear - I can feel that the right side of the engine compartment shakes - Is the lower engine mount or something else that is causing the engine to shake.

the clutch was all new , and the flywheel was machined

can YOu please help

#5 ·
The 2003 solara (last manufactured in TMMC) did have one more tail light style change before the production shifted to TMMK.

#6 ·
WortownSolara said:
you should be more proud that the SC300/400 got started by your Gen3 Coupe
I don't see how that is possible when the SC300/400 is RWD and I6 or V8 not to mention it came out around the same time as the coupe if not earlier. The Solara was a reattempt at making the camry 2-door hence it is a Camry Solara. Same platform, same engine, same layout.

#13 ·
Just got the latest Auto issue of consumer reports. If 265 hp comes
from the new 3.5 litre, that engine trans combo apparently has
problems.

One thing about CReports. You can't beat them for preformance
and reliability histories.

Jim

It'd be nice for Toyota to make a Solara with a 6spd auto w/paddle shift with the Camry's 265hp V6. That would be bitchin.

#14 ·
HELP with posting new thread

I'm new to site and don't know how to start a new thread. I need help analyzing what to do about a problem I'm having with Solara. It's a 2002 SLE V6 with 95k miles. Had a new battery installed and shortly afterward, malfunction light came on. Scanned it for the code, got P1135 which indicates "Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering" Also, the Traction Control OFF light is on, but the scanner didn't pick up a code for that. The Traction Control OFF light came on a few days after the malfunction light came on. I cleared the codes, but the lights came back on. The car seems to be running fine . . . any idea???

#17 ·
2004 Solara: Some vehicles may have curtain side airbags that were not assembled properly and thus might not deploy as designed. Dealers will inspect the airbags and replace where necessary.
2004-05 Solara: On some vehicles with a power front passenger seat, installing a rear-facing child seat may disconnect a component called the buckle status switch that suppresses deployment of the right-side dashboard airbag, thus increasing the risk of injury to the child in a collision. Dealers will replace buckle status switch.
2006 Solara: Certain vehicles may have an incorrect "tire and loading information" label. Owners will be provided with replacement labels and installation instructions.
2007 Solara w/curtain side airbags: The curtain side airbag tether strap may have been installed incorrectly, resulting in the airbag's possible improper deployment. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pallet Racking | Fitflop Boots

#18 ·
Why Solara Discontinued???!!!

I have a Toyota Solara 2004 , but before that I had a Toyota Solara 2000 and I gave it to my daughter as a gift. I like my Solara and I don't understand why they had to discontinue making it. Its a nice car! The only complaint I ever had was that the radio was a little weak. The Solara is a really attractive car and Lexus, Honda and Hundai did make their own version of the Solara, so I really don't understand why Toyota discontinued it? I love my Toyota Solara ! I eagerly await your answer.

#21 ·
I love Solaras too ! My only problem is why people ignore them.
You never see a stanced solara or a solara at a car show. :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have 04 Solara SLE and my baby is in car shows all the time. I have a new touch screen Bluetooth radio. All 6 new DD Audio speakers and an amp and subs in it. She has 147K on her and still runs like a dream!! It’s my favorite car that I have ever bought

#20 · (Edited)
Newbie here

Thank you for the history lesson of the Solara. My wife loves her 2008 Blizzard Pearl SLE convertible.
She just crossed 43k miles.... getting ready to do all the belts, including timing as a preventative what with the interference engine design :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.