Toyota Nation Forum banner

Hello from Ohio

482 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  05Moose 
#1 ·
My first Toyota was a rusty 69 Carina. It ran until I couldn't open the door due to flex in the body from rot. It was a shame to scrap it as the motor was still very strong.

5 Corollas later my daughter has a 99 Camry. I must say I was disappointed with my 2001 corolla as it drank oil unlike any of my other Toyotas. I hear it was carbon on the oil control rings ....

I have 2 Mercedes, a Volvo and MGB ( s) ( project toys) All of our drivers have over 150 k with the MB's having over 300 k .

#4 ·
I have a 85 300TD with CA emissions ( different trans and goofy turbo set up with ex thermal oxidizer) 309 k and has been in a movie and a BP commercial. A 91 300e 2.6 311 k dented and rusty but still gets 30 mpg highway and is reasonably easy to repair...

My son has a 69 250 s ( original and decent) and a 75 300d with 36 k original miles...truly owned by a little old lady and before that a priest.

I used to be a MB fan up until 93 or so. They were pretty horrible POS from 94-2002 or so. Impossible to live with ..rust..wiring...etc. The newer ones are out of my league as far as repair or cost.

When I worked in the auto trade I told people that Toyotas were as good as then (84-90) era MB's - price being a factor. Many of my old BMW service customers bought Lexus and never looked back.

#5 ·
MG's are moving museum pieces. Skinners Union carbs, lever shocks, push rod engines with quasi hot rod tricks for 1963. Lucosi the prince of darkness and bipedular locomotion ensured that a trip to the store for beer could be an adventure. I've owned many brit cars over the years but had a Toyota to get me to work...that is until I started with Mercedes Diesels..

My daughter is now the newest Toyota fan as she isn't ready for an old Benz that only dad can or cares to work on....She was weaned on Corollas .

My friend in HS had a Crown wagon...now that was a car!

#6 ·
Once upon a time I owned a 240D (1976) purchased used. I absolutely loved the simplicity of the engine and the solid construction of the body and all its parts (I've never encountered more perfectly closing doors in my life), but the down side was utterly abysmal power output that made it the worst dog on the road. IMO, it just became incompatible with SoCal roads and I got rid of it.

#7 ·
If your 240 was a slushbox with air they bordered on dangerous. In CA emissions trim I think an Allis Chalmers of any stripe could take it in the 1/4. In 1985 you couldn't get an automatic ( basically same HP output) for a good reason. I had a 1969 220 d that was even slower if you can imagine that...but it was a stick...

Mercedes used to be made in Germany by Germans who were family members of previous generational employees. Those days are past and with it the build quality . The doors on my 85 still make a vault like "sprong" sound when closed and that is with 309 k miles!

I did some work at the Georgetown Camry plant as an contract engineer. The plant is very well run but it's not Stuttgart circa 1985....I'll just leave it at that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.