OK, time to join after lots of lurking - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Introduce Yourself Here Let us know all about yourself and your car. Break the ice in here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By SparkyTom
  • 1 Post By SparkyTom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-19-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OK, time to join after lots of lurking

I've used TN many times to get basic info and tips. Currently I'm trying to replace the rusted out rear cross member in my 1999 Camry. Time to step back and regroup before getting too aggressive.

For the most part I'm not into show or race, but believe that the most practical bang for the vehicle buck is in a well maintained older vehicle. I've done basic maintenance through timing belts, chains, etc. I'm a jack of many trades (electrician, engineer, locksmith-basic tinkerer, remodeler, etc).

I'm a firm believer that if I buy a vehicle, the title means that I, not the manufacturer owns it. The stealership can sink or swim in competition with aftermarket competitors. In Toyota's defense, they do make a pretty decent machine. I've owned 3 Toyota/Geos, after many more US branded vehicles. The first Geo has 305K miles and needs its first major repair. It has NEVER stranded me in that 305K miles either!
TrailDust likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Thanked 6,721 Times in 4,708 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyTom View Post
I'm a firm believer that if I buy a vehicle, the title means that I, not the manufacturer owns it. The stealership can sink or swim in competition with aftermarket competitors.
Totally agree with that, for cars and any other product. That's why I would never buy a Dell again: It's not your computer it's Dell's, and they'll allow you only as much access to its systems as they want.

Anyway, glad to see you joined up with the forums after some time. It's definitely worth it. Welcome aboard!

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
post #3 of 7 Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Um..., I'm running about a 5 yr old Dell. But I switched from MicroShaft to Linux as an operating system. Faster, free, and extremely stable. Some of the largest institutions use it because it is rock solid. Linux is generally virus free, 100% legal, and free. Some versions will charge $5-10 for the CD, but you can download most versions for free. I run mine from a USB stick because I've been too lazy to completely install it. Linux can read and write MS files, and includes an office suite which reads MS formats. If you want more info, let me know.

Back to Toyota. The 99 Camry is giving me fits trying to remove two bolts. These are the ones that go through the 20-24 inch links that hold the rear spindle assemblies and control toe-in. The nuts and the rear adjustable arms are free. But, two weeks of penetrating oil, moderate propane torch heat, 1/2 inch cordless impact driver, sledge hammer strikes; and the bolts are still rust-welded in place. I'm not sure how to research a better approach. One thought is to find out if the affected rubber bushings can be replaced, then get more aggressive with heat which will destroy the rubber.

In any case it is time to back off, have a beer, and look for help.
heartdisease likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Thanked 6,721 Times in 4,708 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I run Linux too, as well as OpenOffice, etc. I'm talking primarily on the hardware side of things, where Dell pretty much locks users out of the motherboard. At any rate, that's a whole other issue from cars....

Regarding those bolts, I'd definitely float that issue to the other forum members and see what solutions they may have for you. I haven't had much success dealing with similar bolt/nut freezes, and I know how maddening that issue can be. Wish I could offer you specific advice, but again hopefully some of the Camry owners can help you out.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
The Following User Says Thank You to TrailDust For This Useful Post:
SparkyTom (03-22-2017)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,387 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hello there SparkyTom, and welcome to TN! I see you've asked your question in the Gen3/4 Camry forum and are getting some good responses. Good luck with it!

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 30k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 351k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to BMR For This Useful Post:
SparkyTom (03-22-2017)
post #6 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,069 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2219 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Welcome to Toyotanation, glad to have you join up I had a Dell for many years. It was a ripping machine from the get go. I upgraded the graphics card and power supply but didn't mess with the mother board. I never had a reason to, if it ain't broke don't fix it
The Following User Says Thank You to heartdisease For This Useful Post:
SparkyTom (03-22-2017)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Glad you joined us.
The Following User Says Thank You to bull6791 For This Useful Post:
SparkyTom (03-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Go Here First > Introduce Yourself Here