Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
alt.autos.toyota General Toyota discussion newsgroup.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Dalton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch

Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the way
576000 original miles.
Thanks


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch


"Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote in message
news:KyrPf.19274$f6.928@bignews1.bellsouth.net...[color=blue]
> Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
> switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the
> way
> 576000 original miles.
> Thanks
>[/color]
I believe that the fuel pump relay, if there is one, is in the junction box
under the hood with the fuses. I don't think that there is a fuel pump
inertia switch.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


#3 Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Bruce L. Bergman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:48:33 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:
[color=blue]
>Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
>switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the way
>576000 original miles.
>Thanks[/color]

Are you sure this is an inertia switch related problem? I thought
that once an inertia switch or rollover switch trips, you have to
reset them manually.

I'd think the first suspects would be a bad fuel pump, clogged or
pinched fuel system line, or bad fuel pressure regulator, something in
that area - when the fuel pump pressure and flow can't keep up with
the injector demand at WOT, it'll act like the fuel pump or the
ignition is cutting off.

I'm surprised that the OBD-2 computer hasn't set a trouble code.
(Check Engine light.)

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (with a long hose) to the test point
on the injector rail, take someone with you to watch the pressure
gauge, go out test-driving and romp on the gas hard.

IIRC the fuel rail pressure is supposed to go up when RPM's and fuel
demand are higher - if it stays static or drops, the pressure
regulator has problems.

--<< Bruce >>--

--
Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.
#4 Old 03-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Dalton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch

Thanks Bruce
Where is the regulator located? Is it in the pump itself?
Yes the engine light is on. Its been on for a long time. Even before this
problem.

"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
news:t7us02tju9d72u02l8299t58viafpfqupk@4ax.com...[color=blue]
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:48:33 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:
>[color=green]
>>Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
>>switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the
>>way
>>576000 original miles.
>>Thanks[/color]
>
> Are you sure this is an inertia switch related problem? I thought
> that once an inertia switch or rollover switch trips, you have to
> reset them manually.
>
> I'd think the first suspects would be a bad fuel pump, clogged or
> pinched fuel system line, or bad fuel pressure regulator, something in
> that area - when the fuel pump pressure and flow can't keep up with
> the injector demand at WOT, it'll act like the fuel pump or the
> ignition is cutting off.
>
> I'm surprised that the OBD-2 computer hasn't set a trouble code.
> (Check Engine light.)
>
> Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (with a long hose) to the test point
> on the injector rail, take someone with you to watch the pressure
> gauge, go out test-driving and romp on the gas hard.
>
> IIRC the fuel rail pressure is supposed to go up when RPM's and fuel
> demand are higher - if it stays static or drops, the pressure
> regulator has problems.
>
> --<< Bruce >>--
>
> --
> Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
> Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
> 5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
> Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.[/color]


#5 Old 03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch


"Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote in message
news:uOLPf.65$hJ.7@bignews5.bellsouth.net...[color=blue]
> Thanks Bruce
> Where is the regulator located? Is it in the pump itself?
> Yes the engine light is on. Its been on for a long time. Even before
> this problem.[/color]

I recommend pulling the codes from the ECU before attempting any further
diagnosis. Chances are, the codes will point you in the right direction.


--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)[color=blue]
>
> "Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
> news:t7us02tju9d72u02l8299t58viafpfqupk@4ax.com...[color=green]
>> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:48:33 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:
>>[color=darkred]
>>>Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
>>>switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the
>>>way
>>>576000 original miles.
>>>Thanks[/color]
>>
>> Are you sure this is an inertia switch related problem? I thought
>> that once an inertia switch or rollover switch trips, you have to
>> reset them manually.
>>
>> I'd think the first suspects would be a bad fuel pump, clogged or
>> pinched fuel system line, or bad fuel pressure regulator, something in
>> that area - when the fuel pump pressure and flow can't keep up with
>> the injector demand at WOT, it'll act like the fuel pump or the
>> ignition is cutting off.
>>
>> I'm surprised that the OBD-2 computer hasn't set a trouble code.
>> (Check Engine light.)
>>
>> Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (with a long hose) to the test point
>> on the injector rail, take someone with you to watch the pressure
>> gauge, go out test-driving and romp on the gas hard.
>>
>> IIRC the fuel rail pressure is supposed to go up when RPM's and fuel
>> demand are higher - if it stays static or drops, the pressure
>> regulator has problems.
>>
>> --<< Bruce >>--
>>
>> --
>> Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
>> Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
>> 5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
>> Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.[/color]
>
>[/color]



#6 Old 03-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Bruce L. Bergman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:50:43 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:[color=blue]
>"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
>news:t7us02tju9d72u02l8299t58viafpfqupk@4ax.com...[color=green]
>> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:48:33 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:[/color][/color]
[color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
>>>Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
>>>switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the
>>>way 576000 original miles.[/color]
>>
>> I'd think the first suspects would be a bad fuel pump, clogged or
>> pinched fuel system line, or bad fuel pressure regulator, something in
>> that area - when the fuel pump pressure and flow can't keep up with
>> the injector demand at WOT, it'll act like the fuel pump or the
>> ignition is cutting off.
>>
>> Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (with a long hose) to the test point
>> on the injector rail, take someone with you to watch the pressure
>> gauge, go out test-driving and romp on the gas hard.
>>
>> IIRC the fuel rail pressure is supposed to go up when RPM's and fuel
>> demand are higher - if it stays static or drops, the pressure
>> regulator has problems.[/color]
>
>Where is the regulator located? Is it in the pump itself?
>Yes the engine light is on. Its been on for a long time. Even before
>this problem.[/color]

I think the fuel pressure regulator is on top of the engine,
attached to the fuel rail, and it probably has test ports on the input
and output so you can see if it's the fuel pump or the regulator.

I've pretty much exhausted my stash of clues (I don't do this every
day, but I know the theory) - Let's see if Ray or one of the MDT Techs
that hangs out here can take over.

--<< Bruce >>--

--
Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.
#7 Old 03-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch


"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
news:tjbv02pak0cq6iknoul6tncabfvejvigib@4ax.com...[color=blue]
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:50:43 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:[color=green]
>>"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:t7us02tju9d72u02l8299t58viafpfqupk@4ax.com...[color=darkred]
>>> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:48:33 -0600, "Dalton" <durlt@msn.com> wrote:[/color][/color]
>[color=green][color=darkred]
>>>>Anyone could tell me where to find Fuel pump relay and fuel pump inertia
>>>>switch on my 95 T100. The engine kills when I accelerate hard. By the
>>>>way 576000 original miles.
>>>
>>> I'd think the first suspects would be a bad fuel pump, clogged or
>>> pinched fuel system line, or bad fuel pressure regulator, something in
>>> that area - when the fuel pump pressure and flow can't keep up with
>>> the injector demand at WOT, it'll act like the fuel pump or the
>>> ignition is cutting off.
>>>
>>> Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (with a long hose) to the test point
>>> on the injector rail, take someone with you to watch the pressure
>>> gauge, go out test-driving and romp on the gas hard.
>>>
>>> IIRC the fuel rail pressure is supposed to go up when RPM's and fuel
>>> demand are higher - if it stays static or drops, the pressure
>>> regulator has problems.[/color]
>>
>>Where is the regulator located? Is it in the pump itself?
>>Yes the engine light is on. Its been on for a long time. Even before
>>this problem.[/color]
>
> I think the fuel pressure regulator is on top of the engine,
> attached to the fuel rail, and it probably has test ports on the input
> and output so you can see if it's the fuel pump or the regulator.
>
> I've pretty much exhausted my stash of clues (I don't do this every
> day, but I know the theory) - Let's see if Ray or one of the MDT Techs
> that hangs out here can take over.
>
> --<< Bruce >>--
>
> --
> Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
> Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
> 5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
> Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.[/color]

I've seen fuel pressure regulators by the fuel rail and attached to the
tank-mounted fuel pump. I don't know the setup on the T-100. The one by
the fuel rail looks like a diaphragm-looking thing. As for the checking
fuel pressure, I don't think there are test ports. The Toyota SST attaches
with a banjo fitting installed in-line where the fuel line attaches to the
rail - this method of measuring fuel pressure would work as long as you are
downstream from the regulator.

The OP mentioned a check engine light - I'd start by pulling codes. I don't
know if the T-100 has OBD II or not although you can look under the driver's
side of the dash for a port that is shaped kind of like a parallel connector
for a printer to a PC. This shape diagnostic port is OBD II and trouble
codes can be read and cleared with a universal OBD II code reader.

If the diagnostic port is square, then the system is not OBD II. In this
case, jump terminals TE1 and E1 with a paper clip and count the flashes.
There will be a short pause between the first and second digit of the
malfunction code and a longer pause between the first code and subsequent
codes. A steady flash means that no codes are stored. Clear codes by
pulling the EFI main fuse or disconnecting the negative terminal of the
battery for 30 seconds. Keep in mind that disconnecting the battery will
clear radio presets and clock time as well.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


#8 Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Coyoteboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fuel pump relay & fuel pump inertia switch

If its turbocharged (not sure of the car) it could be a fault with the
actuator hose allowing overboost -> fuelcut by the ECU. Again, codes will
help :)

J


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome