2003 corolla maintenance - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota

alt.autos.toyota General Toyota discussion newsgroup.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
slatt333
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View slatt333's Photo Gallery
2003 corolla maintenance

1)How often do I need to have my 2003 corolla tuned up? 30,000mi? And
must I go to dealer or can should I go to Midas or sompelace cheaper?

2) And please tell me all parts that should be included/replaced with
this tuneup

3) And which tires perform well on the 2003 Corolla?

4) Is anyone using dry gas (and how often) or oil treatments, like STP,
in their Corolla?

 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Ray O's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance


"slatt333" <slatt333@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1142886225.912181.95540@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> 1)How often do I need to have my 2003 corolla tuned up? 30,000mi? And
> must I go to dealer or can should I go to Midas or sompelace cheaper?
>[/color]

You should follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.

You can go to any competent service facility to have the work done, however,
you will probably have better success with a place that uses OEM ignition
and brake parts. Also keep in mind that if you have an automatic
transmission, it uses special automatic transmission fluid that independent
shops probably don't carry.
[color=blue]
> 2) And please tell me all parts that should be included/replaced with
> this tuneup
>[/color]

Again, you should refer to your owner's manual for parts to be replaced and
replacement intervals.

At 30,000 miles, the service consists mostly or fluid replacement, like
coolant, transmission, and differential fluids.
[color=blue]
> 3) And which tires perform well on the 2003 Corolla?[/color]

A good place to research tires is tirerack.com.
[color=blue]
>
> 4) Is anyone using dry gas (and how often) or oil treatments, like STP,
> in their Corolla?
>[/color]

The quality of fuels and oils today is very good. Toyota does not recommend
the routine use of any oil or fuel additives. Dry gas is basically alcohol,
which has a negative effect on rubber, and routine use actually can cause
more problems than it solves. The trick is to stick to name brand oils that
meet the manufacturer's specifications and purchase fuel from a gas station
that sells a large volume of gas.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


 
Old 03-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wolfgang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Wolfgang's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance

I opt for a bottle of Chevron Techron ever 6 months or so vice dry gas. It
effectively cleans the fuel injectors too. Try Target or Walmart.

Tune-up is an obsolete word now with computerized fuel injection and
ignition systems. I replace the plugs and distributor cap every 60k miles
with OEM parts. At more than 3 years old I'd also think about replacing the
replace the plug wires too if over say 50k miles.

Argh MIDAS - you must be made of money! Cheap pun but they are generally
crappy at doing maintenance. They will say things that don't need doing
needs to be done --- they work on a percentage of the bill.

"slatt333" <slatt333@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1142886225.912181.95540@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> 1)How often do I need to have my 2003 corolla tuned up? 30,000mi? And
> must I go to dealer or can should I go to Midas or sompelace cheaper?
>
> 2) And please tell me all parts that should be included/replaced with
> this tuneup
>
> 3) And which tires perform well on the 2003 Corolla?
>
> 4) Is anyone using dry gas (and how often) or oil treatments, like STP,
> in their Corolla?
>[/color]


 
Old 03-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
SAMMM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View SAMMM's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance

it doesn't need a tune-up. the plugs last 50,000 miles plus, there are no
points to change, there's very little to do but change the oil and filter.
and no, you don't have to go to the dealer.
in fact, that's the last place i'd take my car.
they will push a lot of unnecessary service on you.
the first service my toyota has needed has been past 100,000
miles. i had a wheel bearing changed.
i did check the plugs at 50,000 miles and i still have my original plugs in
it
now with 100,000 miles plus.
keep a check on the fluids and filters and you won't go wrong.
sammmm


--
[email]zammy@pghmail.com[/email]

"slatt333" <slatt333@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1142886225.912181.95540@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> 1)How often do I need to have my 2003 corolla tuned up? 30,000mi? And
> must I go to dealer or can should I go to Midas or sompelace cheaper?
>
> 2) And please tell me all parts that should be included/replaced with
> this tuneup
>
> 3) And which tires perform well on the 2003 Corolla?
>
> 4) Is anyone using dry gas (and how often) or oil treatments, like STP,
> in their Corolla?
>[/color]


 
Old 03-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
FanJet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View FanJet's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance

Wolfgang wrote:[color=blue]
> I opt for a bottle of Chevron Techron ever 6 months or so vice dry
> gas. It effectively cleans the fuel injectors too. Try Target or
> Walmart.
> Tune-up is an obsolete word now with computerized fuel injection and
> ignition systems. I replace the plugs and distributor cap every 60k
> miles with OEM parts. At more than 3 years old I'd also think about
> replacing the replace the plug wires too if over say 50k miles.
>
> Argh MIDAS - you must be made of money! Cheap pun but they are
> generally crappy at doing maintenance. They will say things that
> don't need doing needs to be done --- they work on a percentage of
> the bill.[/color]

Midas shops are franchises and just like Toyota dealerships, quality of
service varies from one to another.


 
Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
slatt333
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View slatt333's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance

Thanks for the info.. Wow no tuneups, cool. My 2003 corolla ce has
only 22K ( I found at toy dealership). But should I not change the
tranny fluid at 30K? and take this to dealer to get proper fluid? I
guess I could buy the automatic transmission fluid from toyota and then
have Midas add it?

 
Old 03-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Ray O's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance


"slatt333" <slatt333@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1142959748.720213.176620@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> Thanks for the info.. Wow no tuneups, cool. My 2003 corolla ce has
> only 22K ( I found at toy dealership). But should I not change the
> tranny fluid at 30K? and take this to dealer to get proper fluid? I
> guess I could buy the automatic transmission fluid from toyota and then
> have Midas add it?
>[/color]

go to [url]www.toyota.com[/url] and click on the "Owners" link, then you can get
maintenance info for your specific car. It looks like the 30K mile service
involves an oil change, replacing coolant and inspecting the ATF and
differential fluids. As far as coolant goes, if it were my car, I'd stick
to genuine Toyota coolant, which is red.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


 
Old 03-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
RT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View RT's Photo Gallery
Re: 2003 corolla maintenance

On 21 Mar 2006 12:07:15 -0800, "slatt333" <slatt333@yahoo.com> wrote:
[color=blue]
>Thanks for the info.. Wow no tuneups, cool. My 2003 corolla ce has
>only 22K ( I found at toy dealership). But should I not change the
>tranny fluid at 30K? and take this to dealer to get proper fluid? I
>guess I could buy the automatic transmission fluid from toyota and then
>have Midas add it?[/color]

According to toyota you probably won't have to change the tranny
fluid. I would do it it anyways. A regular drain and fill is not
expenisve at all. IT won't replace all fluid in the tranny but that
isn't needed anyways. Doing it this way and more frequent will have
the tranny operatewell for many miles.
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History of the Corolla Ratko Corolla Lounge 28 10-31-2013 09:10 AM
All 2003 Corolla - Low Washer Light JakeJacobs 9th Gen Corolla/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 22 10-11-2007 09:09 AM
questions about 2003 corolla S sick-boi Archived Corolla threads 9 04-04-2005 06:27 PM
2003 Corolla Door Locking Mechanisms montrealjoachim Archived Corolla threads 4 03-18-2005 07:03 AM
The 2003 corolla vs 2000 Ford Focus dbellemafia Archived Corolla threads 16 09-23-2004 12:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.