Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
alt.autos.toyota General Toyota discussion newsgroup.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-15-2006, 06:29 PM
omnineko@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

Hi there. First off, I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've
provided me so far for me and my vehicle.

In order to get any air to blow from my vents, I must turn the system
on to high (instead of low, mid-low, mid-hi). What could be the cause
of this? Also, my passenger side air vent does not blow anything
regardless of the mode it is in. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Hachiroku
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:29:07 -0700, omnineko wrote:
[color=blue]
> Hi there. First off, I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've
> provided me so far for me and my vehicle.
>
> In order to get any air to blow from my vents, I must turn the system
> on to high (instead of low, mid-low, mid-hi). What could be the cause
> of this? Also, my passenger side air vent does not blow anything
> regardless of the mode it is in. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.[/color]

See the reply to dario, "Supra 1987 blower only works on medium and high"

Same answer.


#3 Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
mrcheerful .
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica


<omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1155680947.515064.248960@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> Hi there. First off, I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've
> provided me so far for me and my vehicle.
>
> In order to get any air to blow from my vents, I must turn the system
> on to high (instead of low, mid-low, mid-hi). What could be the cause
> of this? Also, my passenger side air vent does not blow anything
> regardless of the mode it is in. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.[/color]

probably the low speed fan resistors have burnt out , vent may be a pipe
fallen off


#4 Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 PM
n5hsr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

"mrcheerful ." <nbkm57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:T0tEg.4088$r61.2494@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...[color=blue]
>
> <omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1155680947.515064.248960@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...[color=green]
>> Hi there. First off, I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've
>> provided me so far for me and my vehicle.
>>
>> In order to get any air to blow from my vents, I must turn the system
>> on to high (instead of low, mid-low, mid-hi). What could be the cause
>> of this? Also, my passenger side air vent does not blow anything
>> regardless of the mode it is in. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.[/color]
>
> probably the low speed fan resistors have burnt out , vent may be a pipe
> fallen off
>[/color]

I originally had the same problem with the '93 Corolla, i.e. only one fan
speed. The resistor did have to be replaced.

Charles of Schaumburg.


#5 Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Dave's
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 1,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 122 Times in 118 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yes, most likely the blower resistors.
Dave's is offline  
#6 Old 08-16-2006, 12:26 AM
omnineko@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

Alright... How would I go about repairing this? Would I need to take
the vehicle into the shop or is it something I could do at home?


Dave's wrote:[color=blue]
> Yes, most likely the blower resistors.[/color]

#7 Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica


<omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1155702371.766906.258530@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> Alright... How would I go about repairing this? Would I need to take
> the vehicle into the shop or is it something I could do at home?
>
>
> Dave's wrote:[color=green]
>> Yes, most likely the blower resistors.[/color]
>[/color]

See the recent thread with instructions on how to do this for a Supra. The
principle is the same, should take less than half an hour with basic hand
tools and a soldering iron.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


#8 Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 AM
mrcheerful .
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica


<omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1155702371.766906.258530@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> Alright... How would I go about repairing this? Would I need to take
> the vehicle into the shop or is it something I could do at home?
>[/color]

If you can find and access the resistor pack then it should be easy. Ask a
dealer where it is when you ask about price and availability.

most vehicles have the pack in the cool airflow side of the heater, bolted
into the side of the trunking.

I could not say where it is on yours but a bit of work with a torch under
the bonnet (some cars) or dash (more cars will usually reveal the wiring to
the fan, this can be followed to the resistor, then off to the fan switch.
mostly the packs are plug in jobs, some cars melt wiring too!! Some can be
repaired, as they are poorly made.

mrcheerful


#9 Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Hachiroku
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica


<omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1155702371.766906.258530@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> Alright... How would I go about repairing this? Would I need to take
> the vehicle into the shop or is it something I could do at home?
>
>
> Dave's wrote:[color=green]
>> Yes, most likely the blower resistors.[/color][/color]

They will want to sell you a new fan cage (has the blower motor, cage and
resistor pack)

Like we said, see the thread for the 87 Supra. It's the same repair.
You may not have to remove the glove box, however. Very least, you'll have
to remove the glove box COVER (three or four screws) and the lower part of
the dashboard. The worst part is the angle you'll have to twist into to get
to the blower motor.

On the ones I have repaired (about three so far...) all I did was remove the
lower part of the blower box, that contains the blower motor, squirrel cage
and the resistor pack. It's a pain in the @ss, but not as much as removing
the entire air box!

Get a short stubby screwdriver or a ratchet with a philips screwdriver
adapter. Anything longer than three inches you'll be using every cuss you
know, and even making some new ones up as you go along!


#10 Old 08-16-2006, 10:29 AM
omnineko@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

WELL... Thank you, thank you. I read the how-to on how to repair this
issue and it seemed rather easy to me. What route should I take?
Should I contact a dealship and try to get a new resistor pack?

Also, I just checked to see where the resistor pack is located... I'm
LOST. I checked my Chilton's manual but didn't get much help from that
either. I removed my glovebox to check and well, I didn't exactly see
anything that would clearly define to me where the resistor pack was
located. Any further assistance would be great.
[color=blue][color=green]
> > Dave's wrote:[color=darkred]
> >> Yes, most likely the blower resistors.[/color][/color]
>
> They will want to sell you a new fan cage (has the blower motor, cage and
> resistor pack)
>
> Like we said, see the thread for the 87 Supra. It's the same repair.
> You may not have to remove the glove box, however. Very least, you'll have
> to remove the glove box COVER (three or four screws) and the lower part of
> the dashboard. The worst part is the angle you'll have to twist into to get
> to the blower motor.
>
> On the ones I have repaired (about three so far...) all I did was remove the
> lower part of the blower box, that contains the blower motor, squirrel cage
> and the resistor pack. It's a pain in the @ss, but not as much as removing
> the entire air box!
>
> Get a short stubby screwdriver or a ratchet with a philips screwdriver
> adapter. Anything longer than three inches you'll be using every cuss you
> know, and even making some new ones up as you go along![/color]

#11 Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
omnineko@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

> vent may be a pipe[color=blue]
> fallen off[/color]

Any idea as to how I could re-connect it? I checked under the glovebox
and as I stated earlier, there wasn't anything there that I could
clearly identifiy to help solve my issue.

#12 Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Hachiroku
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica


<omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1155738580.337492.303480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> WELL... Thank you, thank you. I read the how-to on how to repair this
> issue and it seemed rather easy to me. What route should I take?
> Should I contact a dealship and try to get a new resistor pack?
>
> Also, I just checked to see where the resistor pack is located... I'm
> LOST. I checked my Chilton's manual but didn't get much help from that
> either. I removed my glovebox to check and well, I didn't exactly see
> anything that would clearly define to me where the resistor pack was
> located. Any further assistance would be great.[/color]

I believe on this car the resistor pack is located on a small ckt board
located on the flange that holds the blower motor and squirrel cage. You
have to be a contorsionist to do this! Like I said, small screw driver, or,
IIRC a 10mm small socket, on a 1/4 inch drive ratchet can get in there.

If you can remove the lower part of the dash on the pass side, do so and you
will then see the blower assy up where the passenger's right foot would be.
Remove the connectors, the vent tube and the three bolts, and then drop out
the blower assy.
It WON'T come out easily; you'll have to 'argue' with it to get it out.
Don't argue too hard cause the squirrel cage may be a little brittle after
the years, but it should come out ok.

I replaced mine with the whole assy either from other beaters I have had or
with junkyard parts. They are usually about $25 for the whole mess from a
Wrecker's, and I think the resistor ckt board is $65 from Toyota. I
replaced one in 1997 in a Corolla and drove it until 2003 without a problem.
Look at it; you'll be able to tell if it will go the long haul or not! I
think I did solder one with some high temp solder, too, and it went until
the car broke.

Good luck!

[color=blue]
>[color=green][color=darkred]
>> > Dave's wrote:
>> >> Yes, most likely the blower resistors.[/color]
>>
>> They will want to sell you a new fan cage (has the blower motor, cage and
>> resistor pack)
>>
>> Like we said, see the thread for the 87 Supra. It's the same repair.
>> You may not have to remove the glove box, however. Very least, you'll
>> have
>> to remove the glove box COVER (three or four screws) and the lower part
>> of
>> the dashboard. The worst part is the angle you'll have to twist into to
>> get
>> to the blower motor.
>>
>> On the ones I have repaired (about three so far...) all I did was remove
>> the
>> lower part of the blower box, that contains the blower motor, squirrel
>> cage
>> and the resistor pack. It's a pain in the @ss, but not as much as
>> removing
>> the entire air box!
>>
>> Get a short stubby screwdriver or a ratchet with a philips screwdriver
>> adapter. Anything longer than three inches you'll be using every cuss you
>> know, and even making some new ones up as you go along![/color]
>[/color]


#13 Old 08-16-2006, 02:54 PM
omnineko@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

AHHH... Thank you, sir. I visited the Toyota dealship today and
received a print-out diagram of the assembly. Unfortunately, the one
that they gave me was incorrect (showed the resistor pack being in the
front and able to be easily unscrewed, the location that it showed was
not correct for my vehicle). The resistor pack is about $71. I'm going
to attempt to remove it myself today and if it is possible, I will just
solder it.

THANKS.

Hachiroku wrote:[color=blue]
> <omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1155738580.337492.303480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...[color=green]
> > WELL... Thank you, thank you. I read the how-to on how to repair this
> > issue and it seemed rather easy to me. What route should I take?
> > Should I contact a dealship and try to get a new resistor pack?
> >
> > Also, I just checked to see where the resistor pack is located... I'm
> > LOST. I checked my Chilton's manual but didn't get much help from that
> > either. I removed my glovebox to check and well, I didn't exactly see
> > anything that would clearly define to me where the resistor pack was
> > located. Any further assistance would be great.[/color]
>
> I believe on this car the resistor pack is located on a small ckt board
> located on the flange that holds the blower motor and squirrel cage. You
> have to be a contorsionist to do this! Like I said, small screw driver, or,
> IIRC a 10mm small socket, on a 1/4 inch drive ratchet can get in there.
>
> If you can remove the lower part of the dash on the pass side, do so and you
> will then see the blower assy up where the passenger's right foot would be.
> Remove the connectors, the vent tube and the three bolts, and then drop out
> the blower assy.
> It WON'T come out easily; you'll have to 'argue' with it to get it out.
> Don't argue too hard cause the squirrel cage may be a little brittle after
> the years, but it should come out ok.
>
> I replaced mine with the whole assy either from other beaters I have had or
> with junkyard parts. They are usually about $25 for the whole mess from a
> Wrecker's, and I think the resistor ckt board is $65 from Toyota. I
> replaced one in 1997 in a Corolla and drove it until 2003 without a problem.
> Look at it; you'll be able to tell if it will go the long haul or not! I
> think I did solder one with some high temp solder, too, and it went until
> the car broke.
>
> Good luck!
>
>[color=green]
> >[color=darkred]
> >> > Dave's wrote:
> >> >> Yes, most likely the blower resistors.
> >>
> >> They will want to sell you a new fan cage (has the blower motor, cage and
> >> resistor pack)
> >>
> >> Like we said, see the thread for the 87 Supra. It's the same repair.
> >> You may not have to remove the glove box, however. Very least, you'll
> >> have
> >> to remove the glove box COVER (three or four screws) and the lower part
> >> of
> >> the dashboard. The worst part is the angle you'll have to twist into to
> >> get
> >> to the blower motor.
> >>
> >> On the ones I have repaired (about three so far...) all I did was remove
> >> the
> >> lower part of the blower box, that contains the blower motor, squirrel
> >> cage
> >> and the resistor pack. It's a pain in the @ss, but not as much as
> >> removing
> >> the entire air box!
> >>
> >> Get a short stubby screwdriver or a ratchet with a philips screwdriver
> >> adapter. Anything longer than three inches you'll be using every cuss you
> >> know, and even making some new ones up as you go along![/color]
> >[/color][/color]

#14 Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Wolfgang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

[url]http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml#BlowerResistor[/url]

Yours should be similiar

<omnineko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1155680947.515064.248960@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> Hi there. First off, I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've
> provided me so far for me and my vehicle.
>
> In order to get any air to blow from my vents, I must turn the system
> on to high (instead of low, mid-low, mid-hi). What could be the cause
> of this? Also, my passenger side air vent does not blow anything
> regardless of the mode it is in. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>[/color]


#15 Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Bruce L. Bergman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: Fan only blows when set to high? '90 Celica

On 16 Aug 2006 11:54:48 -0700, [email]omnineko@yahoo.com[/email] wrote:
[color=blue]
>AHHH... Thank you, sir. I visited the Toyota dealship today and
>received a print-out diagram of the assembly. Unfortunately, the one
>that they gave me was incorrect (showed the resistor pack being in the
>front and able to be easily unscrewed, the location that it showed was
>not correct for my vehicle). The resistor pack is about $71. I'm going
>to attempt to remove it myself today and if it is possible, I will just
>solder it.[/color]

Find someone with an oxy-acetylene or air-acetylene torch and braze
it with a silver-bearing brazing alloy - regular tin based solder
melts at far too low a temperature.

MAPP might get hot enough at full bore, but propane won't.

--<< Bruce >>--

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome