how to clean an idle air control valve? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
alt.autos.toyota.camry Toyota Camry discussion newsgroup.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
how to clean an idle air control valve?

My '96 camry stalled again when making a left turn. Last time it
stalled was about a month ago, I then cleaned the throttle body valve
with toyota throttle body valve cleaner, both sides of the valve, and
with a toothbrush. I thought that would have solved the problem.

My next suspect is the idle air control valve. What is the correct way
to clean this out? My Haynes manual discusses removal and electrical
testing of the IAC valve, but not cleaning. I read somewhere on this
group that the IAC valve can be cleaned by spraying carburetor cleaner
into the rectangular duct just outside of the throttle body valve
(lower-right side), while the engine is running. Is this procedure
recommended? Or is there another way?

 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 AM
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?


[email]onehappymadman@yahoo.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
> My '96 camry stalled again when making a left turn. Last time it
> stalled was about a month ago, I then cleaned the throttle body valve
> with toyota throttle body valve cleaner, both sides of the valve, and
> with a toothbrush. I thought that would have solved the problem.
>
> My next suspect is the idle air control valve. What is the correct way
> to clean this out? My Haynes manual discusses removal and electrical
> testing of the IAC valve, but not cleaning. I read somewhere on this
> group that the IAC valve can be cleaned by spraying carburetor cleaner
> into the rectangular duct just outside of the throttle body valve
> (lower-right side), while the engine is running. Is this procedure
> recommended? Or is there another way?[/color]

Probably should have waited for a reply first, but the idea sounded
like a good one, so I went ahead and did it. (Got the fire
extinguisher ready, just in case spraying a flammable chemical on a hot
engine did something... flammable.)

What an experience. A great sucking sound could be heard (I'd removed
the air intake hose), and the engine sounded like it was going to stall
each time I sprayed carburetor cleaner into the rectangular hole just
inside the throttle body. I sprayed a total of three times. Then I
shut down the engine, re-attached the air intake hose, and drove the
car around the block. So far so good. I'll have to wait about a month
to see if this did the trick...

 
#3 Old 01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Daniel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

If the symptoms return, try TriFlow next time - helps lubricate to
avoid sticking now that you've cleaned it.

 
#4 Old 01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?


Daniel wrote:[color=blue]
> If the symptoms return, try TriFlow next time - helps lubricate to
> avoid sticking now that you've cleaned it.[/color]


Maybe I should add the TriFlow now, to prevent sticking now that I've
cleaned it?

Is this the product?
[url]http://www.trisports.com/trifsupluboz2.html[/url]

Where do you buy it? Target? Pep Boys? Bicycle shops only?

Thanks,

Mike

 
#5 Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
davidj92
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

[email]onehappymadman@yahoo.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
> Daniel wrote:[color=green]
>> If the symptoms return, try TriFlow next time - helps lubricate to
>> avoid sticking now that you've cleaned it.[/color]
>
>
> Maybe I should add the TriFlow now, to prevent sticking now that I've
> cleaned it?
>
> Is this the product?
> [url]http://www.trisports.com/trifsupluboz2.html[/url]
>
> Where do you buy it? Target? Pep Boys? Bicycle shops only?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike[/color]

Motorcycle shops used to sell it as well.
davidj92


 
#6 Old 01-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Daniel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

Yes. that's it.
bicycle shops carry it
I find it at the local Do-It Center

 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome