Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer?? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

alt.autos.toyota.camry Toyota Camry discussion newsgroup.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
maruk2@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View maruk2@hotmail.com's Photo Gallery
Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
[url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]

for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
on city roads.
Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
Are there any precautions I should take?
I still have to install a hitch for it.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Andy Hill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Andy Hill's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

[email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
>I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
> [url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]
>
>for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
>on city roads.
>Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
>My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
>Are there any precautions I should take?
>I still have to install a hitch for it.
>[/color]
Any mountains along the way, or pretty much flat? I wouldn't even attempt it
if you're going over any real mountains.

On the flat, you could pull off, but you probably won't enjoy the experience --
a Camry basically can tow about 2000lbs max, and a 4-banger is gonna strain to
do that. Personally, I'd keep it at least 500 lbs under that (say, 700 lbs of
cargo). Realize that you'll have something following you that weighs nearly
half what your car weighs, so allow for lots and lots of stopping distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
maruk2@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View maruk2@hotmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


Andy Hill wrote:[color=blue]
> [email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=green]
> >I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
> > [url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]
> >
> >for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
> >on city roads.
> >Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
> >My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
> >Are there any precautions I should take?
> >I still have to install a hitch for it.
> >[/color]
> Any mountains along the way, or pretty much flat? I wouldn't even attempt it
> if you're going over any real mountains.
>
> On the flat, you could pull off, but you probably won't enjoy the experience --
> a Camry basically can tow about 2000lbs max, and a 4-banger is gonna strain to
> do that. Personally, I'd keep it at least 500 lbs under that (say, 700 lbs of
> cargo). Realize that you'll have something following you that weighs nearly
> half what your car weighs, so allow for lots and lots of stopping distance.[/color]

No mountains, maybe a few small hills. The trailer is 780 lbs empty,
my load
should be less than 1000 lbs. I plan to drive max 65mph all 1200 miles.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
mack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View mack's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


<maruk2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153243971.589635.81460@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
>
> Andy Hill wrote:[color=green]
>> [email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=darkred]
>> >I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
>> > [url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]
>> >
>> >for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
>> >on city roads.
>> >Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
>> >My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
>> >Are there any precautions I should take?
>> >I still have to install a hitch for it.
>> >[/color]
>> Any mountains along the way, or pretty much flat? I wouldn't even
>> attempt it
>> if you're going over any real mountains.
>>
>> On the flat, you could pull off, but you probably won't enjoy the
>> experience --
>> a Camry basically can tow about 2000lbs max, and a 4-banger is gonna
>> strain to
>> do that. Personally, I'd keep it at least 500 lbs under that (say, 700
>> lbs of
>> cargo). Realize that you'll have something following you that weighs
>> nearly
>> half what your car weighs, so allow for lots and lots of stopping
>> distance.[/color]
>
> No mountains, maybe a few small hills. The trailer is 780 lbs empty,
> my load
> should be less than 1000 lbs. I plan to drive max 65mph all 1200 miles.[/color]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd knock that back to 55. Yes, I know that sounds like a crawl, but if
you blow a tire at 65 hauling a trailer, it will cure any constipation you
may have. Trust me on this....I've been there and it's no fun. A smile
won't even be possible for several days, and your hands will shake just
thinking about it. Make it at 55 and relax.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Andy Hill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Andy Hill's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

[email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
>Andy Hill wrote:[color=green]
>> [email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=darkred]
>> >I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
>> > [url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]
>> >
>> >for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
>> >on city roads.
>> >Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
>> >My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
>> >Are there any precautions I should take?
>> >I still have to install a hitch for it.
>> >[/color]
>> Any mountains along the way, or pretty much flat? I wouldn't even attempt it
>> if you're going over any real mountains.
>>
>> On the flat, you could pull off, but you probably won't enjoy the experience --
>> a Camry basically can tow about 2000lbs max, and a 4-banger is gonna strain to
>> do that. Personally, I'd keep it at least 500 lbs under that (say, 700 lbs of
>> cargo). Realize that you'll have something following you that weighs nearly
>> half what your car weighs, so allow for lots and lots of stopping distance.[/color]
>
> No mountains, maybe a few small hills. The trailer is 780 lbs empty,
>my load
>should be less than 1000 lbs. I plan to drive max 65mph all 1200 miles.
>[/color]
Sure hope it's under 1000 lbs -- 1800 lbs is pushing the limits of the Camry. If
you cook your tranny, you're going to be wishing you'd just rented the regular
moving van.

I couldn't tell from the uhaul site -- does this trailer have surge brakes? If
not, I'd be really leery of hauling it behind the Camry at all -- asking the
Camry's brakes to do all the stopping for anything over 1000 lbs is iffy at
best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
JM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View JM's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


<maruk2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153192065.417222.167720@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
>
> I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
> [url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]
>
> for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
> on city roads.
> Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
> My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
> Are there any precautions I should take?
> I still have to install a hitch for it.[/color]

Although I have never towed with my CAMRY 4 Auto
I did caravan (RV) for 10 years.

Always fully laden 12 or 14 foot van.
2 adults 2 kids. Most local food to.

Each year North UK to Spain France Italy Switzerland.
My home to Barcelona was 1500 miles about.

Cars were Renault R16 1725 cc Auto with OIL COOLER on the box.
a Renault 20 TS 2000cc Auto with cooler fitted as standard on Auto.

Over the ALPS up in the snow line.
Over French Alps to Switzerland.

Usual over ride brakes on the VAN (RV)

Miles over 4 weeks holiday Circa 5000.
No problems ever.
But well maintained before setting out.
On the French Autoroutes if you were doing say 50mph on occasions
the police would pull along side and say ALEE ALEE as in get a move on.

So just enjoy the trip.

In passing we used to put steaks in metal foil containers on the top of the
engine and one on the oil cooler.
And get a well done beautiful steak done in 1 hour. A real treat.
My kids called it " Steak Manifold"

Enjoy

Johnny UK.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from [url]http://www.teranews.com[/url]

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View m Ransley's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge,
only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
maruk2@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View maruk2@hotmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


m Ransley wrote:[color=blue]
> Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge,
> only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours[/color]

Any car rentals (esp. from majors like Hertz) that rent cars with
hitches
preinstalled (hitch ball and lights connector)?

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View learnfpga@gmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

Why dont you rent a small penske. A friend of mine moved and they even
give you some storage time till you find a place in the new city....

Why put a strain on your car which is only 3 years old....


[email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
> m Ransley wrote:[color=green]
> > Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge,
> > only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours[/color]
>
> Any car rentals (esp. from majors like Hertz) that rent cars with
> hitches
> preinstalled (hitch ball and lights connector)?[/color]

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
maruk2@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View maruk2@hotmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

[email]learnfpga@gmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
> Why dont you rent a small penske. A friend of mine moved and they even
> give you some storage time till you find a place in the new city....
>
> Why put a strain on your car which is only 3 years old....
>
>
> [email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=green]
> > m Ransley wrote:[color=darkred]
> > > Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge,
> > > only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours[/color]
> >
> > Any car rentals (esp. from majors like Hertz) that rent cars with
> > hitches
> > preinstalled (hitch ball and lights connector)?[/color][/color]

Even the smallest truck costs min $1100 for my route, plus $200-300 car
carrier/dolly, plus taxes, insurance, and huge gas consumption for a
truck

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View learnfpga@gmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

Well....if you add all that up that will be about 2000 bucks.....

I am not an expert in cars but what if something goes wrong with the
car and then you try to have it fixed.......

If I were you I would bite the bullet and try to find cheapest
alternative rather than using camry to tow your stuff....."My Personal
Opinion :)"
Anyways good luck with the move.......

[email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
> [email]learnfpga@gmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=green]
> > Why dont you rent a small penske. A friend of mine moved and they even
> > give you some storage time till you find a place in the new city....
> >
> > Why put a strain on your car which is only 3 years old....
> >
> >
> > [email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=darkred]
> > > m Ransley wrote:
> > > > Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge,
> > > > only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours
> > >
> > > Any car rentals (esp. from majors like Hertz) that rent cars with
> > > hitches
> > > preinstalled (hitch ball and lights connector)?[/color][/color]
>
> Even the smallest truck costs min $1100 for my route, plus $200-300 car
> carrier/dolly, plus taxes, insurance, and huge gas consumption for a
> truck[/color]

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Andy Hill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Andy Hill's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

[email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=blue]
>learnfpga@gmail.com wrote:[color=green]
>> Why dont you rent a small penske. A friend of mine moved and they even
>> give you some storage time till you find a place in the new city....
>>
>> Why put a strain on your car which is only 3 years old....
>>
>>
>> [email]maruk2@hotmail.com[/email] wrote:[color=darkred]
>> > m Ransley wrote:
>> > > Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge,
>> > > only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours
>> >
>> > Any car rentals (esp. from majors like Hertz) that rent cars with
>> > hitches
>> > preinstalled (hitch ball and lights connector)?[/color][/color]
>
>Even the smallest truck costs min $1100 for my route, plus $200-300 car
>carrier/dolly, plus taxes, insurance, and huge gas consumption for a
>truck
>[/color]
Well, to do this right, you're looking at roughly $500-$600 bucks to get the
hitch and transmission cooler installed (transmission temp gauge optional, but
it won't add much to the cost, and will at least warn you if the tranny is
starting to overheat). Quite a bit less if you can do most of the work
yourself, as the parts themselves aren't too bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Roadrunner Newsgroup
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Roadrunner Newsgroup's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

Once a year I tow a boat and gear about 300 miles on the highway at speeds
of 60-65mph. I also take the boat for short trips 20-30 miles locally in
Wisconsin. I did this with my previous 2001 Camry 4cyl and do it now with my
2005 Camry 4cyl.. The weight I am towing is about 1300 lbs. including the
gear plus 2 adults & 1 child in the car. The car handles it fine as long as
you leave additional room for braking an go easy on acceleration. I'm not
sure in my situation I would want to tow much more weight than the 1300lbs
even though the car is rated to tow 2000 lbs.. The gas mileage really drops
also. I'm sure it puts extra wear on the vehicle but nothing I ever noticed
on my 2001 after owning 4.5 years. I also change the oil right before these
trips. For the cost of adding an adequate hitch and light hook-up it would
probably make more sense to rent a small truck.

My towing kinda POs my buddies that "have to have a pickup truck" because
they use the excuse that they couldn't have a car because they have to haul
stuff (which they hardly ever do). Then I point to my 4x4 trailer and say
for the once or twice a year I haul, I use the little trailer on my Camry
and rest of the time I get over 30mpg, and their wives just stare them.
Quite the price for a macho man image I say. hehe

Steve




<maruk2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153192065.417222.167720@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
>
> I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one
> [url]http://uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-4x8[/url]
>
> for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles
> on city roads.
> Assume fully loaded trailer. household items.
> My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder.
> Are there any precautions I should take?
> I still have to install a hitch for it.
>[/color]


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
marika
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View marika's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


Roadrunner Newsgroup wrote:

.. I'm not[color=blue]
> sure in my situation I would want to tow much more weight than the 1300lbs
> even though the car is rated to tow 2000 lbs..[/color]

yeah!!! that is a diet even the japanese could not
touch. i think you missed your calling. you should
have been a mathematician. unified field theory,
anyone?

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View mrdarrett@gmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??


marika wrote:[color=blue]
> Roadrunner Newsgroup wrote:
>
> . I'm not[color=green]
> > sure in my situation I would want to tow much more weight than the 1300lbs
> > even though the car is rated to tow 2000 lbs..[/color]
>
> yeah!!! that is a diet even the japanese could not
> touch. i think you missed your calling. you should
> have been a mathematician. unified field theory,
> anyone?[/color]


Engineer, you mean. Engineers would put in a large-ish (at least 10%,
often more) safety factor to work below the rated maximum of anything
with a rated maximum.

Wouldn't mathematicians like to put on, say, 1999.99 lbs on the car?

Just my one Philippine peso (two cents) worth... ;-)

Michael

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overall Comparison: Toyota Camry XLE V6 v.s. Pontiac Grand P CamryLeb Camry & Solara Lounge 25 08-13-2007 10:55 PM
hauling 5x8 trailer with 2003 camry.. gtpftt 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) 5 08-06-2006 09:26 PM
2001 Toyota Camry problems, is it cursed? flyboi 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) 3 06-26-2006 01:43 AM
having problems with trailer wiring IntenseGravity 2nd Generation (2005+) 0 09-12-2005 01:17 PM
Problems with stereo after install. 93 Camry XLE RPMK104 Audio, Video, and Security - Tech 3 02-22-2005 01:28 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.