99 Camry fault codes - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

alt.autos.toyota.camry Toyota Camry discussion newsgroup.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
PaulT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View PaulT's Photo Gallery
99 Camry fault codes

I have a CamryV6 with 100k miles and the check engine light is on steady
and took it to AZ and the codes are P0441 Purge flow and P0306 #6 misfire.
How do I reset these codes and what do I do about them? The engine runs
fine, I can not detect a misfire, its very smooth. Someone suggested that
the 441 code could be related to the gas cap! thnx


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View johngdole@hotmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: 99 Camry fault codes

To reset the code, pull the ECM fuse (driver side, engine compartment
fuse box) for 1 minute.

P0441 Purge flow problem is usually caused by the purge solenoid. The
V6's is under the plastic noise plate on top of the engine. I'd check
it by removing the EVAP line coming from the canister at the solenoid
and listen to the port while the engine runs. It should switch on
repeatedly and you'll hear loud vacuum sounds (near full engine vacuum,
not the wimpy 3-5 PSI vacuum you get with a stuck solenoid). If it
sounds weak then you know the source of the problem. Take necessary
precaution with the EVAP line as it has fuel vapor.

Cap usually sets another code, I think the 0446 because the tank
doesn't keep pressure and the problem will go away if you retighten the
cap. If not, and if it's the solenoid it'll come back repeatedly and
often, then you can try cleaning it by prying open the metal tabs
carefully. Or you can buy a new solenoid. But isolate the problem
first. If it's not the cap or the solenoid, it may be a bad canister,
common in those years. $$$$$

P0306 Did you have a tuneup lately? Bad spark plug or wire for
starters. Less likely injector or cylinder/valve problems as you said
the engine runs fine.


PaulT wrote:[color=blue]
> I have a CamryV6 with 100k miles and the check engine light is on steady
> and took it to AZ and the codes are P0441 Purge flow and P0306 #6 misfire.
> How do I reset these codes and what do I do about them? The engine runs
> fine, I can not detect a misfire, its very smooth. Someone suggested that
> the 441 code could be related to the gas cap! thnx[/color]

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
PaulT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View PaulT's Photo Gallery
Re: 99 Camry fault codes

Thanks for responding John. Is there a picture or diagram with parts ID
somewhere on the internet so I can trace this problem. These parts are hard
to Id under the hood ..thnx, Paul




<johngdole@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153441100.074779.62300@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...[color=blue]
> To reset the code, pull the ECM fuse (driver side, engine compartment
> fuse box) for 1 minute.
>
> P0441 Purge flow problem is usually caused by the purge solenoid. The
> V6's is under the plastic noise plate on top of the engine. I'd check
> it by removing the EVAP line coming from the canister at the solenoid
> and listen to the port while the engine runs. It should switch on
> repeatedly and you'll hear loud vacuum sounds (near full engine vacuum,
> not the wimpy 3-5 PSI vacuum you get with a stuck solenoid). If it
> sounds weak then you know the source of the problem. Take necessary
> precaution with the EVAP line as it has fuel vapor.
>
> Cap usually sets another code, I think the 0446 because the tank
> doesn't keep pressure and the problem will go away if you retighten the
> cap. If not, and if it's the solenoid it'll come back repeatedly and
> often, then you can try cleaning it by prying open the metal tabs
> carefully. Or you can buy a new solenoid. But isolate the problem
> first. If it's not the cap or the solenoid, it may be a bad canister,
> common in those years. $$$$$
>
> P0306 Did you have a tuneup lately? Bad spark plug or wire for
> starters. Less likely injector or cylinder/valve problems as you said
> the engine runs fine.
>
>
> PaulT wrote:[color=green]
> > I have a CamryV6 with 100k miles and the check engine light is on[/color][/color]
steady[color=blue][color=green]
> > and took it to AZ and the codes are P0441 Purge flow and P0306 #6[/color][/color]
misfire.[color=blue][color=green]
> > How do I reset these codes and what do I do about them? The engine runs
> > fine, I can not detect a misfire, its very smooth. Someone suggested[/color][/color]
that[color=blue][color=green]
> > the 441 code could be related to the gas cap! thnx[/color]
>[/color]


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View johngdole@hotmail.com's Photo Gallery
Re: 99 Camry fault codes

Hayenes manual is probably the easiest place. AutoZone's free online
guide goes up only to 1996 for now and the canister is in the engine
compartment then.

VSV can be bought online at a dealer in Texas for 1/3 less (do a search
on previous postings). But local parts store may carry it, not sure
because never needed a new one besides cleaning it carefully. But if
it's the canister, dealer only, $$$$$.

If it's the bad batch of canisters and it is blowing carbon dust, then
all EVAP hoses will have to be replaced, probably all the VSVs too to
rid the dust.


PaulT wrote:[color=blue]
> Thanks for responding John. Is there a picture or diagram with parts ID
> somewhere on the internet so I can trace this problem. These parts are hard
> to Id under the hood ..thnx, Paul[/color]

  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
cmuller
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View cmuller's Photo Gallery
Re: 99 Camry fault codes

Your car may be covered under an extended court ordererd ruling against
Toyota.
Anything to do with the gas evaporator emmisions system is covered on
vehicles 1996 to 1999 with less than 150k.
If I can find the literature I collected when my wifes 97 had that problem I
will send it to you.
If you do a yahoo search for Camry emissions lawsuit you will be on the
right track.



"PaulT" <ptait@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news:ryOvg.55679$Eh1.4314@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...[color=blue]
>I have a CamryV6 with 100k miles and the check engine light is on steady
> and took it to AZ and the codes are P0441 Purge flow and P0306 #6
> misfire.
> How do I reset these codes and what do I do about them? The engine runs
> fine, I can not detect a misfire, its very smooth. Someone suggested that
> the 441 code could be related to the gas cap! thnx
>
>[/color]


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rading ABS Codes from 95 Toyota Camry satexascamry 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) 12 04-09-2005 10:05 PM
noob w/ 99 camry le 4cycl 3 speed w/ o/d a/t Gachinto Camry & Solara Lounge 5 12-04-2004 06:33 PM
mod a 99 camry le ? Gachinto General Discussion 2 12-02-2004 07:40 PM
Camry Error Codes trbodon21 Camry & Solara Lounge 1 09-19-2004 12:33 PM
Question about 99 Camry (Toyota newb) redly1 Camry & Solara Lounge 4 06-10-2003 02:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.