Re: A/C problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

alt.autos.toyota.camry Toyota Camry discussion newsgroup.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
ferd berford
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View ferd berford's Photo Gallery
Re: A/C problem

HELLO wrote:[color=blue]
> 2003 4 cyl Camry My a/c has been powering off (compressor lights start to
> blink) I took it to the neighborhood shop and they could not figure it out
> everything seemed in order (no charge) . I'm afraid of what the toyota shop
> might charge so any Ideas on what is the problem is appreciated os I don't
> go there & get blindsided.
>
>
> Thanks
>
>[/color]
The blinking light means the compressor failed to start when the system
called for A/C, most likely a bad compressor relay on such a new car,
which is what my 2003 Camry needed. This was not too expensive, about
$112 to fix it and $86 to diagnose it. In the worse case it is a bad
compressor, middle case is a loss of R134 so the low pressure switch cut
out the compressor. If it is a low gas condition make sure they find and
fix the leak (for your sake and the environment).

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Ray O's Photo Gallery
Re: A/C problem


"ferd berford" <berferd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:YsSdndbpi4u99-LYnZ2dnUVZ_vyunZ2d@comcast.com...[color=blue]
> HELLO wrote:[color=green]
>> 2003 4 cyl Camry My a/c has been powering off (compressor lights start to
>> blink) I took it to the neighborhood shop and they could not figure it
>> out
>> everything seemed in order (no charge) . I'm afraid of what the toyota
>> shop
>> might charge so any Ideas on what is the problem is appreciated os I
>> don't
>> go there & get blindsided.
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>[/color]
> The blinking light means the compressor failed to start when the system
> called for A/C, most likely a bad compressor relay on such a new car,
> which is what my 2003 Camry needed. This was not too expensive, about
> $112 to fix it and $86 to diagnose it. In the worse case it is a bad
> compressor, middle case is a loss of R134 so the low pressure switch cut
> out the compressor. If it is a low gas condition make sure they find and
> fix the leak (for your sake and the environment).
>[/color]

Actually, the blinking light means that the compressor RPM sensor detected a
different compressor RPM from the engine RPM. To re-energize the
compressor, turn the AC button off and then back on. If you heard a belt
squeal just before the light started flashing, the belt slipped and the
system shut down. Even if you did not hear a belt squeal, check AC
compressor drive belt tension - with the engine OFF, you should not be able
to depress the belt more than about an inch. If you can depress the belt
more than an inch, it got stretched out over time or the adjustment slipped.
Check the condition of the compressor drive belt. It should not be glazed
or cracked on the underside.

If the system needs a refrigerant charge, you would not get a flashing AC
light, the compressor would just not engage. An easy way to check
refrigerant charge is to look at the sight glass on the receiver drier in
front of the radiator. The receiver drier is s cylinder with steel lines
going into and out of the top. With the AC on, it should look like water is
flowing past the glass. If you see foam or nothing, the system needs
recharging.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
ferd berford
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View ferd berford's Photo Gallery
Re: A/C problem

Ray O wrote:[color=blue]
> "ferd berford" <berferd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:YsSdndbpi4u99-LYnZ2dnUVZ_vyunZ2d@comcast.com...[color=green]
>> HELLO wrote:[color=darkred]
>>> 2003 4 cyl Camry My a/c has been powering off (compressor lights start to
>>> blink) I took it to the neighborhood shop and they could not figure it
>>> out
>>> everything seemed in order (no charge) . I'm afraid of what the toyota
>>> shop
>>> might charge so any Ideas on what is the problem is appreciated os I
>>> don't
>>> go there & get blindsided.
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>>[/color]
>> The blinking light means the compressor failed to start when the system
>> called for A/C, most likely a bad compressor relay on such a new car,
>> which is what my 2003 Camry needed. This was not too expensive, about
>> $112 to fix it and $86 to diagnose it. In the worse case it is a bad
>> compressor, middle case is a loss of R134 so the low pressure switch cut
>> out the compressor. If it is a low gas condition make sure they find and
>> fix the leak (for your sake and the environment).
>>[/color]
>
> Actually, the blinking light means that the compressor RPM sensor detected a
> different compressor RPM from the engine RPM. To re-energize the
> compressor, turn the AC button off and then back on. If you heard a belt
> squeal just before the light started flashing, the belt slipped and the
> system shut down. Even if you did not hear a belt squeal, check AC
> compressor drive belt tension - with the engine OFF, you should not be able
> to depress the belt more than about an inch. If you can depress the belt
> more than an inch, it got stretched out over time or the adjustment slipped.
> Check the condition of the compressor drive belt. It should not be glazed
> or cracked on the underside.
>
> If the system needs a refrigerant charge, you would not get a flashing AC
> light, the compressor would just not engage. An easy way to check
> refrigerant charge is to look at the sight glass on the receiver drier in
> front of the radiator. The receiver drier is s cylinder with steel lines
> going into and out of the top. With the AC on, it should look like water is
> flowing past the glass. If you see foam or nothing, the system needs
> recharging.[/color]
I wonder if I paid for a relay (and diagnostics) that was not
needed..... A Toyota dealer wouldn't do that would they? Thanks for
the information, I was going on what the service manager told me and a
little bit of knowledge about the low pressure switch.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Ray O's Photo Gallery
Re: A/C problem


"ferd berford" <berferd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FfSdnY6X954QIh3YnZ2dnUVZ_uzinZ2d@comcast.com...[color=blue]
> Ray O wrote:[color=green]
>> "ferd berford" <berferd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:YsSdndbpi4u99-LYnZ2dnUVZ_vyunZ2d@comcast.com...[color=darkred]
>>> HELLO wrote:
>>>> 2003 4 cyl Camry My a/c has been powering off (compressor lights start
>>>> to
>>>> blink) I took it to the neighborhood shop and they could not figure it
>>>> out
>>>> everything seemed in order (no charge) . I'm afraid of what the toyota
>>>> shop
>>>> might charge so any Ideas on what is the problem is appreciated os I
>>>> don't
>>>> go there & get blindsided.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>>
>>> The blinking light means the compressor failed to start when the system
>>> called for A/C, most likely a bad compressor relay on such a new car,
>>> which is what my 2003 Camry needed. This was not too expensive, about
>>> $112 to fix it and $86 to diagnose it. In the worse case it is a bad
>>> compressor, middle case is a loss of R134 so the low pressure switch cut
>>> out the compressor. If it is a low gas condition make sure they find and
>>> fix the leak (for your sake and the environment).
>>>[/color]
>>
>> Actually, the blinking light means that the compressor RPM sensor
>> detected a different compressor RPM from the engine RPM. To re-energize
>> the compressor, turn the AC button off and then back on. If you heard a
>> belt squeal just before the light started flashing, the belt slipped and
>> the system shut down. Even if you did not hear a belt squeal, check AC
>> compressor drive belt tension - with the engine OFF, you should not be
>> able to depress the belt more than about an inch. If you can depress the
>> belt more than an inch, it got stretched out over time or the adjustment
>> slipped. Check the condition of the compressor drive belt. It should not
>> be glazed or cracked on the underside.
>>
>> If the system needs a refrigerant charge, you would not get a flashing AC
>> light, the compressor would just not engage. An easy way to check
>> refrigerant charge is to look at the sight glass on the receiver drier in
>> front of the radiator. The receiver drier is s cylinder with steel lines
>> going into and out of the top. With the AC on, it should look like water
>> is flowing past the glass. If you see foam or nothing, the system needs
>> recharging.[/color]
> I wonder if I paid for a relay (and diagnostics) that was not needed.....
> A Toyota dealer wouldn't do that would they? Thanks for the information,
> I was going on what the service manager told me and a little bit of
> knowledge about the low pressure switch.
>[/color]
There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) # EL011-05 regarding the A/C
light flashing due to issues with the magnetic clutch relay. It is possible
that is the cause if the belt is OK.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diagnose/fix my A/C low00ranger 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) 3 08-14-2006 11:38 PM
A/C Problem..Need help suggestions HAWAIITC Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum 3 08-10-2006 04:55 PM
A/C Not blowing Cold Air garrand3006 Archived Corolla threads 4 08-09-2006 04:08 PM
How to replace the Evaporator: A/C problem jlakhani Archived Corolla threads 3 08-04-2006 04:33 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.