92 Camry Speedo Not Working - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

alt.autos.toyota.camry Toyota Camry discussion newsgroup.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jimmy_0h
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Jimmy_0h's Photo Gallery
92 Camry Speedo Not Working

1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control stopped
at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the transaxle (this
car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and I replaced it with a
new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not working-ugh! Did I waste
$400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+ kilometers on it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Philip
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Philip's Photo Gallery
Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

Jimmy_0h wrote:[color=blue]
> 1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control
> stopped at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the
> transaxle (this car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and
> I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not
> working-ugh! Did I waste $400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+
> kilometers on it.[/color]

Isn't there a mechanical speedometer drive CABLE in there?


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jimmy_0h
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View Jimmy_0h's Photo Gallery
Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

"Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.n0t> wrote in news:ATNee.4956$7F4.2587
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
[color=blue]
> Jimmy_0h wrote:[color=green]
>> 1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control
>> stopped at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the
>> transaxle (this car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and
>> I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not
>> working-ugh! Did I waste $400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+
>> kilometers on it.[/color]
>
> Isn't there a mechanical speedometer drive CABLE in there?
>
>
>[/color]

No, just a wire connected between speedo and speed sensor
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
davidj92
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View davidj92's Photo Gallery
Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

Jimmy_0h wrote:[color=blue]
> 1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control
> stopped at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the
> transaxle (this car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and
> I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not
> working-ugh! Did I waste $400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+
> kilometers on it.[/color]

I'm not positive on your particular setup but almost all speedos and cruise
controls are electric controlled. Is it possible the speed sensor took a
fuse out when it went? Are you sure you got a good connection on the plug
and did you use dielectric grease on it?
Some sensors ground through the mounting and require a good cleaning on the
mounting surface. Some models use two speed sensors, one for ECU and another
for speedo/cruise. On an OBDI system both sensors could be out without
causing a fault code.
HTH, davidj92


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
View 's Photo Gallery
Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

suggestion: check speed sensor signal to backside of ecm [url]www.alldata.com[/url]
will provide you with wiring data for your vehicle 24.95 a year subscrition
fee check signals at ecm connector you may find the problem there or by
following wiring diagram the speed signal may be routed through the dash
before going to the ecm .and problem may be in circuitry behind dash
....definately a signal problem and may even be an ecm problem .....toyota
computers do fail more over lexus computers i see more of but its mainly
just a blown capacitor in the ecm and is easily repaired [url]http://ecmsplus.com[/url]
"davidj92" <davidj92@sigecom.net> wrote in message
news:0v6dnX1QmI5P8OPfRVn-rQ@sigecom.net...[color=blue]
> Jimmy_0h wrote:[color=green]
> > 1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control
> > stopped at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the
> > transaxle (this car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and
> > I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not
> > working-ugh! Did I waste $400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+
> > kilometers on it.[/color]
>
> I'm not positive on your particular setup but almost all speedos and[/color]
cruise[color=blue]
> controls are electric controlled. Is it possible the speed sensor took a
> fuse out when it went? Are you sure you got a good connection on the plug
> and did you use dielectric grease on it?
> Some sensors ground through the mounting and require a good cleaning on[/color]
the[color=blue]
> mounting surface. Some models use two speed sensors, one for ECU and[/color]
another[color=blue]
> for speedo/cruise. On an OBDI system both sensors could be out without
> causing a fault code.
> HTH, davidj92
>
>[/color]


  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota USENET Discussion Groups > alt.autos.toyota > alt.autos.toyota.camry

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.