Looking for MX73 Wheel advice - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Cressida Forum No one can deny the Cressida has a solid platform. A cult Toyota classic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Looking for MX73 Wheel advice

Decided to make this my first post, and I know I might be flamed for it as it has probably been covered numerous times, but everything I saw on it didn't have the info I necessarily needed. Let me start this off by saying I am not a stance kind of guy or a guy who wants to go with camber so negative it stands out and I don't want to go crazy on the fenders. I want advice on a good wheel and tire size for autocross and mountain driving down tail of the dragon. I want to get some BC Coils or maybe Serial Nine so the car will be lowered and I want to put on bigger brakes. I have seen some good pics with 15x9 and 16x9 but not much info on what mods they might have had to do. Can anyone give me some good advice on wheel size and offset and tires for them that will offer me good performance and hopefully not throw my speedo way out of whack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM
RA28 + MX73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think you have a conflict.

Off-road racing requires long, soft suspension travel, tyres with shock absorbing capbility and tyres with the ability to bite into loose gravel.
This implies that you need tall springs, high profile tyres and narrow tyres.

Lowered suspension will give you trouble on every bump, ridge or hollow.
This could causing the car to bottom out and scrape along the ground.
It can also cause the springs to bottom out - feeding a sudden shock into the chassis and causing the wheels to suddenly lose grip - bad when cornering!

Stiff springs are also bad because they feed sudden shocks into the chassis (with attendant wheel grip loss).
Likewise for stiff shock absorbers.

Low profile tyres have the same problem as stiff springs.

Wide tyres effectively spread the weight of the car across a larger area.
Sounds good but this also means the pressure on each square inch of the ground is reduced.
When going across gravel, loose stones, sand, etc this makes it easy for the car to simply skid across the road with no traction at all.
Narrow tyres will instead concentrate the grip in a small area and use the weight of the car to bite down through the loose layer and into the solid ground underneath.

Big brakes are of course always good.

In short, off-road racing requires the opposite of bitumen racing.

I would keep to the standard size of springs and tyres.
Get tyres with a knobbly tread.
Get adjustable shock absorbers.
Get stiff anti-roll bars.
Get a 3-point suspension tower brace in the engine bay and possibly in the rear.
Add a thick sump guard.
Add a roll cage, fire extinguisher and 5-point (or higher if you plan on having children) seat belt.

Join an off-road racing club, ask questions and listen to everything the experts tell you.

- Stepho
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The mountain roads I meant were mountain passes, like touge style roads, I wouldn't want an off-road cressida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Cressida Forum