torque specs - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Cressida Forum No one can deny the Cressida has a solid platform. A cult Toyota classic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
torque specs

hey guys
i was wondering wut the torque specs are for the oil pan, intake manifold, valve cover, water pump and cylinder head
oh and for the cylinder head wut should i torque to factory says 58 FT LBS and fourms say 70- 80. torquing to 70 or 80 would that cause the bolt to stretch or screw up the housing
please get back to me asap thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Cressida nut

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
First, you need to specify which engine you're working on. 5MGE and 7MGE are pretty similar but JZ series, 5ME, etc are going o be rather different. I assume you have a 7m since you're worried about head bolt torque

for the 7m (could even use these on the 5m but overtightening hte head isn't really necessary)
-head: using stock bolts (new: torque and loosen 2 or 3 times, used: just torque) 75 ftlbs. Don't worry about stretching them, it's only 17 ftlb higher than stock but it will help keep from blowing the gasket gain. The reason for the higher torque is that they changed several things when they went to the 4v head that made it more prone to overheating and blowing the gasket but kept the torque the same (redesigned the EGR to stay in the head 1/2 way round the cylinder instead of 1/4 like the 5m. 4v head means more surface area to absorb heat. there's also a small coolant passage in the back that wasn't drilled. To top it all off, they went from asbestos head gaskets to graphite (which is a little weaker, I would assume replacement 5M gaskets, even from toyota, are graphite as well) With all that, they used the same head bolt torque, which is why the 7M blows the head gasket so often and why you need to use a higher torque.

-oil pan bolts are in the neighborhood of 10-15ftlb
-intake around 20-25
-valve cover 5-10
-water pump 10mm: 78 inlb, 12mm: 14ftlb

-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
'94 Pontiac Firebird LT1, T56
'90 Cressida, 7M-GE, M5
'91 Toyota Pickup, 22R-E, M5, 2wd
#3 Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 AM
CRESSIDA!!!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
First, you need to specify which engine you're working on. 5MGE and 7MGE are pretty similar but JZ series, 5ME, etc are going o be rather different. I assume you have a 7m since you're worried about head bolt torque

for the 7m (could even use these on the 5m but overtightening hte head isn't really necessary)
-head: using stock bolts (new: torque and loosen 2 or 3 times, used: just torque) 75 ftlbs. Don't worry about stretching them, it's only 17 ftlb higher than stock but it will help keep from blowing the gasket gain. The reason for the higher torque is that they changed several things when they went to the 4v head that made it more prone to overheating and blowing the gasket but kept the torque the same (redesigned the EGR to stay in the head 1/2 way round the cylinder instead of 1/4 like the 5m. 4v head means more surface area to absorb heat. there's also a small coolant passage in the back that wasn't drilled. To top it all off, they went from asbestos head gaskets to graphite (which is a little weaker, I would assume replacement 5M gaskets, even from toyota, are graphite as well) With all that, they used the same head bolt torque, which is why the 7M blows the head gasket so often and why you need to use a higher torque.

-oil pan bolts are in the neighborhood of 10-15ftlb
-intake around 20-25
-valve cover 5-10
-water pump 10mm: 78 inlb, 12mm: 14ftlb
Is the 7M head re-torque mod able to actually stop the BHG gods or just delays down the inevitable? I've always gotten the impression it was the former, but I've never had a 7M so I wouldn't know.

1991 Toyota Camry 24,000 mi
1994 Toyota Pickup 77,000 mi
1998 Toyota Avalon 150,000 mi
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 57,000 mi
2006 BMW 330i Sedan 123,000 mi
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid 95,000 mi
#4 Old 06-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Cressida nut

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
in a motor that the gasket is already starting to go, it may buy you some time. when doing a rebuild or applied to a motor with a good gasket already it's as good as any other motor in the same condition/miles.

-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
'94 Pontiac Firebird LT1, T56
'90 Cressida, 7M-GE, M5
'91 Toyota Pickup, 22R-E, M5, 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Cressida Forum